Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie with question (Read 3 times)
DanGill

Newbie with question
06/20/07 at 06:44:21

I just brought home my '06 S40 last night. 2500 miles on the clock, red, small Boulevard windshield, highway bars. I had to ride it back to Fort Worth from Decatur (about 30 miles) at 65 - 70. It vibrated quite a bit, but not more than I expected. I did expect the ride to be a little smoother. Pretty bumpy at those speeds.

I didn't get an owner's manual with the bike. Are the shocks load-adjustable?

Here's the bad news: the kickstand switch went out when I got it home. I managed to get it started by letting the stand down just a hair, then went to the gas stationto fill it up.  Of course, it wouldn't start at all when I finished. I tried to push start the thing and managed to drop it. This is what happens when old fat men try to pushstart a bike. No damage except for a loosened mirror, and a snapped left turn signal extension. That is now superglued together. Thank God for the highway bars. When I picked myself and the bike back up, it started. At home I spent some time tracing down the wires to make sure I had the right one, and wired the switch out of the circuit.

Anyone else just run without the kickstand switch? It seems a very pointless safety addition.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Newbie with question
Reply #1 - 06/20/07 at 06:57:43

First, congratulations on your bike and welcome to the site.  There are a lot of folks who've bypassed the kickstand switch and some also bypass the clutch switch too.  In fact, I intend to bypass my kickstand switch one of these days soon.  One of the other members has made a copy of an OM available but it may be pulled soon.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 06/20/07 at 07:51:56

Yes I bypased the kickstand and clutch switches very early on.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 06/20/07 at 09:04:46

yes the stock shocks are adjustable - but if you're looking for a softer ride you might want to read up on the progressive shocks - here's a link to a post to some links....
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 06/20/07 at 09:24:51

lot's of mods to be done.  I got rid of all sorts of electronic trash on mine...  welcome!

Rob,

Why might the OM get pulled? suzuki?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 06/20/07 at 09:29:56

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
lot's of mods to be done.  I got rid of all sorts of electronic trash on mine...  welcome!

Rob,

Why might the OM get pulled? suzuki?

It is hosted by a member on his personal site and he has stated previously that he intends to pull it soon and that he was only leaving it up for a bit to allow some folks to download it soon.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
DanGill

Reply #6 - 06/20/07 at 11:01:49

I tried to get to the online manual, but it never would load. It didn't say it wasn't there, it just never finished loading.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 06/20/07 at 13:52:36

DanGill wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I tried to get to the online manual, but it never would load. It didn't say it wasn't there, it just never finished loading.

Right-click and save as.

wrongwayair

central Il
Reply #8 - 06/20/07 at 15:28:31

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Yes I bypased the kickstand and clutch switches very early on.

Ok, as a fellow newbie.  I didn't even know my savage had safety switches on it.  I like the idea of the one on the kickstand.  A nephew recently flipped his bike in a left turn because he'd forgotten to raise it.  But what's a clutch switch?

Indecision may or may not be my problem .... Jimmy Buffett
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #9 - 06/20/07 at 16:47:11

If you are in gear, you must have kickstand up and hold in the clutch to start. If you are idling in neutral with the kickstand down and you pull in the clutch and shift into gear, it stops the motor, just the same as if you turned off the red kill switch. You'll get used to it, not really a drama. It'll become second nature soon.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 06/20/07 at 17:09:15

until you short it... then try and start one that still has the switch... get all embarassed trying to get the darn thing to start!

The first few times I started it after removing the side stand interlock...  well, let's jsut say I had to bend my sidemount LP braket back into shape...

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #11 - 06/20/07 at 17:11:31

DanGill

If you have any trouble downloading the 2002 Owners Manual, let me know, I can post it on sendthisfile.com for you to download.

Just click on my name and send me a private message.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #12 - 06/20/07 at 17:16:01

vroom, what is LP bracket?

I have lots of LP's but to me they are 12 inch vinyl records. (Rolling Stones, Beatles etc.)

enlighten me

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #13 - 06/20/07 at 17:50:26

LP = Liscense Plate

I've got a record palyer too, but it's stuck in MA, along with my vinyl LPs  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:33:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie with question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.