Send Topic Print
Ape Hangers !!!! (Read 76 times)
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Ape Hangers !!!!
06/19/07 at 14:50:10

Hey does anyone run apes on their Savage/S40 ?
I dig the look but want some input on how they feel when riding both at slow and high speed. Also what other mods will I need to make ?

thanx

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Re: Ape Hangers !!!!
Reply #1 - 06/19/07 at 18:36:05

I had 12" apes on my 96 and the wires and cables were just barely long enough. They were in all reality too short by about 6" but by leaning the bars forward a bit (which is how I liked them anyway) I was able to make the stock equipment work. I loved the way they felt at any speed.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 06/20/07 at 06:13:01

8" babies on mine.  LOVE them.  Gonna throw a set on my other ride.  steers great at all speeds.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/20/07 at 21:10:44

I feel more confident pushing a bike thru corners with low bars. I wonder how Apes would affect handling in an emergency situation. If I had never ridden a bike & someone asked me how to get a bike to handle well, I would suggest low bars, if for no other reason than the guys I see on TV use them on their race bikes. I agree that apes look cool, I just dont feel comfortable with high bars. For those who do, power to ya!

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #4 - 06/21/07 at 05:54:39

I have either put apes or drag bars with 6 or 8 inch risers on all the bikes I have had for over 40 years. You can't beat the comfort. As long as you don't go over 12" with short risers, they are very comfortable. Handling is great, and very quick in an emergency. As far as the twisties, I live on them. I love to scrape pegs. Apehangars vs short bars is your choice, just like setting up or crouching down on a roller coaster. When turning the bike around all you need is a little shoulder input, instead of your whole upper torso. I started out with "monkey bars" on my bicycle in the late 50's and just never quit.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
wvchoppers
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/21/07 at 18:58:58

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #6 - 06/21/07 at 22:42:48

I had 15" apes on mine for a while.  Longer cables and whatnot to make it work, but I loved em.  I never had any issues with how well it handled.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Reply #7 - 06/22/07 at 16:05:44

Savage Librarian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I had 15" apes on mine for a while.  Longer cables and whatnot to make it work, but I loved em.  I never had any issues with how well it handled.

I can not believe there is no picture of Mr. Hyde in this post. This sir, just will not do.

And where the he// is WD? I thought he'd be chimed in on this by now for sure. Kinda like to see Pokey again too.

WWW   IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #8 - 06/22/07 at 20:14:49

I've been using these with stock risers, 8in. H bars from working class choppers. I still have the handling of drags and the ajustability of buckhorns.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #9 - 06/23/07 at 12:46:29

steelwolf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I can not believe there is no picture of Mr. Hyde in this post. This sir, just will not do.

All righty, as requested:

And you're right.  An apehanger thread without WD joining in just isn't a real thread.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 05:41:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ape Hangers !!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.