YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Towing a savage
06/18/07 at 18:47:54

Due to marital problems, I'm becoming a gypsy, and need to move my beloved savage (not my wife) and wet weather transport in 1 fell swoop.

Anyone try this?

Motorcycle Tow Cradle No Trailer Haul Big Little Bike

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Towing a savage
Reply #1 - 06/18/07 at 19:06:20

No, but for a little more expense you can get a little 4x8' or 4x6' utility trailer that will haul the bike and lots of other stuff too.  If you're inclined to go this direction, checkout the trailers at Harbor Freight Tools.  I bought one I've been using to haul around my dirtbikes, and it works great!  Plus, trailer tires are cheaper and last longer than m/c tires.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/18/07 at 19:26:12

The advantage of these little things is when you're finished with them, you can take them off and throw it in the trunk.

Quite a few of these have been offered on flebay.  And of course if you listen to them they're great.  My intent is not long distance, 30 miles at most.  10 miles most likely.

WWW   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/18/07 at 20:07:46

Another idea might be to check craigslist.  I have seen trailers go pretty cheap on there.  Then, once you no longer need it, you can resell it.  

That motorcycle tow dolly thing looks kind of neat.  I might be a little concerned about stability though.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #4 - 06/18/07 at 20:12:59

I think it's a good idea, but I don't know about towing a bike that way. Sure they will tell ya what ya want to hear. I'm just not sure. Looks secure. I'm concerned about the bouncing. That's why I say looks secure. It may be. Backing? For those inexperienced with small short axle trailers, will jackknife (damage) in ten feet.
That's my .02.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/18/07 at 21:28:30

I hear you guys.  Handling a trailer is not an issue (with me).  I may not be able to back it into your back pocket the first time, but I will.

To the one that's shown, I'd add what some of the others had, a cross bar to strap the handlebars to.  Otherwise it's very well made.

My concern is for getting from my home to my away from home or mechanic.  All short distance on side streets.

The issue I have with trailers is storage.  The dealer is not going to let you back your trailer up to a light pole and chain it up.   Grin, wave and ride off.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/18/07 at 22:06:46

I saw a little bike trailer that stands on its rear end & takes up about 8 square feet O world. I dont know the name or the $$, but I kinda think it was pretty spendy.Maybe you can google something up

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 06/18/07 at 23:02:04

I saw those too.

Now if I wanted to spend some bucks...

Bikelug collapsible motorcycle trailer NEW

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/19/07 at 01:36:08

Is there no one who would drive the car for ya & let you take the bike? At least that way there would be no hurry & you could figure out what to do. Those little trailers from Harbor Freight can be massaged into a nice little bike trailer & as light as they are, you could stand one up next to a fence & it wouldnt take up much room at all.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #9 - 06/19/07 at 07:09:45

sorry to hear 'bout the domestic difficulties. that bike rack looks like a decent arrangement, the straps appear to tie on to the cage's bumper, that should be plenty secure enough to keep the bike from getting away. i dont think i'd mess with adding any hold downs to the rack, just to make it more cumbersome to store in the trunk.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Bigzuk

Kodak Tn
Reply #10 - 06/19/07 at 12:43:43

Here is an idea that I've thought of but not tried yet. I've got a 24" 40" rack that fits in the 2" sq. hitch that I use to carry LP and gas cans or anything I don't want inside. It cost less than half of the cost of his hitch carrier and with small mod could hold the front tire with the tiedowns attached to the sides. less cost and can carry more than just the bike, maybe worth looking at?

Love my Savage !
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:37:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Towing a savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.