Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
More top end for highway cruisin !!!! (Read 29 times)
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
More top end for highway cruisin !!!!
06/18/07 at 14:55:23

OK other than a chain conversion, what mods will make the savage a little better at high speed cruising. I will be moving out of town and will be riding the highway a lot which will require 75-80mph cruising. I already have a Jardine, jetting, and POD filter.  

Will tire size, cam, carb make ant difference ??? Any suggestions welcome.

Oh and I luv my S40 to much to change to another bike.

Thanx

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: More top end for highway cruisin !!!!
Reply #1 - 06/18/07 at 15:00:45

Go with Oldfeller's 165R15 tire conversion.  That'll do the trick  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 06/18/07 at 15:03:48

Not much choice really - the other mods make more power faster, normal hot rod stuff -  but in the end your  just spinning too many rpm's to be cruise'n @80mph all the time and expect the engine live a long life with the stock gear ratios IMHO.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 06/18/07 at 15:23:43

Pullleeeze don't go thru a 165-15 conversion thinking it is going to help your top end out a bunch.  All you pick up is 5 mph which isn't going to break your Ton for you.

Stay with a more reasonable 145-15 tire size and do a right hefty chain conversion.

Of course if you do a chain conversion then you COULD fit a 175/65r15 tire as you will have enough room for it.

(that is if you clean out the fender well, jack your swing arm open a half an inch, space over your brake drum groove & slot mateup and cut down your left side spacer at least 3 washers worth)

Or, you can be smarter and more reasonable and stick with a 145-15 tire size and not have to do all that time consuming stuff.

No matter what you do, if you want to break the Ton easily you really will need to do a chain conversion.  You really do need those extra wheel RPMs.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 06/18/07 at 16:11:53

Remember Oldfeller the original conditions of the question were:   Quote:
other than a chain conversion, what mods will make the savage a little better at high speed cruising

The only other answers are:

1) bigger tires
2) change gears within tranny
3) change the 1.81 gear reduction from engine

Changing tranny gears and the gear reduction require extensive machining and complex mods, so you're just left with option 1, bigger tires.

Although I agree whole-heartedly that the chain conversion is the way to go.  I went with 17/43 sprockets and won't ever look back.  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #5 - 06/18/07 at 16:13:06

OK it seems that the chain conversion is the way to go.
Is there any downfalls of having the chain ? And how do you choose the right gearing ?

There is a chain conversion on ebay :

http://item.express.ebay.com/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-S40-BOULEVARD-LS-650-CHAIN-CONVERS...

What do you all think ?? Is it an easy or hard job ?

Thanx

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 06/18/07 at 16:18:47

Fairly easy job!  See the Chain conversion thread in the tech section.  It will walk you thru it.

I'd highly recommend a 17/43 setup as that brings the bike RPM peak in at about 60 mph.  The engine can certainly handle higher gearing at speed, but first gear is about as high as you'd want with these gears.

If you're goal cruising speed is 80 mph, remember that if you switch to these gears, you'll be doing 80 mph when the speedo reads 70 mph.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 06/18/07 at 16:21:50

Oh, as for downfalls:

You need to lube a chain often.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 06/18/07 at 16:26:40

I checked out the ebay offer...

I bought my entire setup for $85 including shipping, but I got the cheapest chain I could find, so I'd want to know what is included in the kit.  $130 plus shipping seems high to me, unless it comes with an o-ring chain...

IP Logged
DrT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 06/18/07 at 16:37:39

It has crossed my mind that it should be possible to put a 16" rim on the rear wheel.  If the suspension was raised with longer shocks and the tyre fitted wasn't too wide it would provide higher gearing.  Speedo would not read true but that's a minor problem.

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #10 - 06/18/07 at 16:42:38

Thanks guys you have been a great help as usual.

Hey Barry what is the 17/43 gearing like around town ?
Is it a whole lot different to stock ? Slower ?? 8)

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #11 - 06/18/07 at 16:52:50

A little slower on take-off until you get the clutch engaged and rpm's hit about 2200, then can't tell any difference from the "seat of your pants" feel.  As I said, one drawback is first gear.  It idles in first 15% faster than stock gearing, so in really slow moving traffic, like a traffic jam, that can result in lots of clutch slipping.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #12 - 06/18/07 at 16:56:05

Most of my riding is at 70-75 mph on the highway, so the chain conversion turns this thing into a highway cruiser for me, with better in town capability than my Honda Magna had.

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #13 - 06/18/07 at 17:06:03

Cool ! I can sacrifice a little off the line in order to cruise the highway and keep the S40. I'm sure glad that the chain conversion is possible as I would really have hated to get rid of the S40.

Thanks again everyone  Tongue

And one more thing how wide could I really go on the rear tire with the stock rim with the chain conversion ?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #14 - 06/18/07 at 19:02:00

150/90/15 is the largest m/c tire you can get.  140/90/15 will fit with little or no modification, a 130/90/15 is probably the best fit for the rim and basically the same height as the stock 140/80/15.

If you install 12.5" Intruder shocks, the sky's the limit  8)

That's what Oldfeller shoulda done for his 165r15 VW tire  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:30:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › More top end for highway cruisin !!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.