Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
plug/cap headcover (Read 39 times)
bleuet
Ex Member

plug/cap headcover
06/18/07 at 14:36:01

Hi to every one. I will order a new plug/cap to repair the oil leak on my 96 savage. I would like to know from you guys who have done it. '' is there any things else that i should order before i start the job like sealent, oring, gasket ???'' thank for yours helps....

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: plug/cap headcover
Reply #1 - 06/18/07 at 16:04:02

there's two orings up that live between the ehad and the ehad cover that should be replaced.  some liek to reaplce all the little orings that live on some of the botls.  I didn't, no problem.  you will need a high temp rtv sealant.  I used yamabond, uh... check out the tech sect thread...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/18/07 at 18:14:12

If you are any where near 20k miles, you'll want to look at the cam chain tensioner under the clutch cover.  get a gasket in case it tears when you take it off.

It's a lot of work to get the cover off so do as much as you can.  replacing the few rubbers required is cheap compared to doing it again before it's ready.

There's also a good possibility that you'll twist off a bolt head.  you'll might need a screw extractor.  also plan on it being down for a while if your local dealer is not well stocked, most likely he's not or doesn't even know what a savage is.

I used permatex motoseal 1, ultimate gasket maker grey.  Easy to use.  It's runny grey stuff, you can paint it on with a cue tip.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 06/19/07 at 05:10:25

Be sure to use Greg's little trick and print out the bolt pattern and tape it to the bottom of a cardboard box.  Then you punch holes in all the spots for bolts,  As you remove a bolt, place it in the correct hole in the box.  Then when you reassemble, it's a no-brainer.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #4 - 06/19/07 at 19:53:29

hehe...good luck....the plug was my initial problem too.....several hundred bucks later....it is finally done.

it was the "while I'm down here, I'll check............"

Main points were hit already. pretty easy if you are doing just the plug.....gets a little worse changing the cam chain....

IP Logged
bleuet
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/25/07 at 19:33:00

I just fixed the leaking cap this after-noon. It took me about 2 hours. I was following the instructions posted on this site, with the little plan for thes bolts. Very easy to do when you got instruction. I went for an hour drive test, and came back with a dry engin.
Thanks you to alls of you for yours helps. Keep this site going and i will come often to visite,
Merci....

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 07/09/09 at 21:43:14

verslagen1 wrote on 06/18/07 at 18:14:12:
....I used permatex motoseal 1, ultimate gasket maker grey.  Easy to use.  It's runny grey stuff, you can paint it on with a cue tip.

Ver,

I've heard mixed reviews on that stuff.  Does it seal the head cover well?  Does it seal the head cover plug well?  Is it easy to remove come replacement time?

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/09/09 at 21:55:59

Digger wrote on 07/09/09 at 21:43:14:
verslagen1 wrote on 06/18/07 at 18:14:12:
....I used permatex motoseal 1, ultimate gasket maker grey.  Easy to use.  It's runny grey stuff, you can paint it on with a cue tip.

Ver,

I've heard mixed reviews on that stuff.  Does it seal the head cover well?  Does it seal the head cover plug well?  Is it easy to remove come replacement time?

TIA!

I'm gonna find out soon.  Didn't use it on the plug, used red high temp cause it's thicker.  I do have a leak above the sparkplug, had it before.  There is a pore in the machining above the sparkplug, but I think it's the rocker shaft seal.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/10/09 at 06:42:14

I agree cam chains should be checked out. What I dont get is popping the cover & only having a gasket. IF it needs a cam chain, then what? Put it back together & run it a bit farther? I did that. It Ate hard on my mind, knowing the condition inside & not having the parts to fix it. Owning one of these at in excess of 15,000 miles & not having a gasket & a cam chain is just not admitting that soon, it will simply be necessary. Why not get the stuff before it downs the bike? I wish I had. I didnt tear anything up, but, I wish I had done it differently.Pay me now or pay me later. The costs WILL happen, why wait?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:21:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › plug/cap headcover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.