Send Topic Print
Honest Appraisals Needed (Read 5 times)
Slug_Ascot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Honest Appraisals Needed
06/18/07 at 04:22:46

I am a newbie to this site.  I want to buy a bike for my wife, who’s middle aged, short and inexperienced.  
What are the strong points of owning a Savage?  
What are the weaknesses of the Savage?
Are they reliable?  
Will it last into high mileage?
Anything you can tell me about the Savages would be most appreciated.
Thank You in advance,
Slug Ascot

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Honest Appraisals Needed
Reply #1 - 06/18/07 at 04:44:24

Slug_Ascot wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I am a newbie to this site.  I want to buy a bike for my wife, who’s middle aged, short and inexperienced.  
What are the strong points of owning a Savage?

Reliable, good torque, easy geometry to ride (esp for short people), easy to maintain, simple instrumentation, light, looks good,  reasonable gas mileage
Quote:
What are the weaknesses of the Savage?

Small gas tank, not suitable for getting out on the expressway and touring, not suitable for all people's body geometry, instrumentation maybe too simple, some known leaks/problems, lean tune condition from factory is typical
Quote:
Are they reliable?  

yes
Quote:
Will it last into high mileage?

from all I've read
Quote:
Anything you can tell me about the Savages would be most appreciated.

This is a great site, if you're interested, read up in the archives, I never had the "leak" and didn't keep mine long enough 6,000 miles to develop any long term/age problems, with tuning (no modifications) I was able to eliminate the afterfire "problem"
Quote:
Thank You in advance,
Slug Ascot

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/18/07 at 07:06:46

The bike isnt complicated mechanically.The folks n this site have given me the confidence to go ahead & grab a wrench & do what needs done. The prices for service at a dealership PLus the wait time were enough to help me get brave. It's easy to work on. Get a manual & some tools & you will have a blast.
I bught a new one, because I hadnt found this site & I wanted a warranty. If I knew then what I know now I woulda got a used one, hopefully, one that the carb had been jetted on & a decent exhaust was on.
I like the bike for short folks, My daughter is getting mine & she is 5'2". It has power to get out of the way, but not anything that will wheelie out from under someone just trying to take off. It's a good solid ride. I have 15,000 on mine & no "warning" signs of it being worn out & I have ridden it as hard as I am able. Welcome to the site,

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #3 - 06/18/07 at 08:03:52

And its a sweet ride, always puts a smile on your face.

got mine used with 6500 on it, past 17000 now, just can't stay off it.

Oops, now its 18000 July3 LOL

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Slug_Ascot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 06/18/07 at 09:39:32

Thanks to those whom have replied and to those whom will in the future!  A great big thanks!
I am a member of FSSNOC (Four Stroke Single National Owner Club), so I'm somewhat familiar with the singles and their charateristics.  My Ascot is pretty smooth for a single, due to good engineering in the counterbalance department.  Hows the Savage vibration at the handle bars?  My wife complained about the GZ 250's vibration that she rode during the MSC (Motorcycle Safety Course), and it was a twin.  Give me a rating on the handle bar vibration from 0 (zero) to 5, 0 (zero) being absolutely no vibration and 5 being intolerable vibration.  How would you rank it?  I'll search this site for ideas on how to farther reduce what it may be, but I'd like to get an idea on where I'll be starting from.
Thanks again,
Slug

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 06/18/07 at 09:46:17

I would rate the vibration about 2 - 2 1/2. Not unrideable, but noticable. It's also a different vibration because of the single and rpm.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 06/18/07 at 10:17:54

My 96 has minimal vibration, less than 1 on your 5 point scale. I think many Savages have unbalanced, incorrectly mounted (not centered) or flat spotted tires, never serviced front forks with low fluid or destroyed fluid, loose engine and other mounting bolts and turbine engine/electric motor vibration expectations . Mine is a very different ride than my B-i-L's well used 87, but I think his is easily fixable. Max FSSNOC #3608, both bikes picture on the back of the FSSNOC calendar. And now another shameless plug for FSSNOC-Four Stroke Singles National Owners Club -  it is never too late to join, the next lunch is in Spray, OR the 30th of June. This is a great riding area as the BMW group was there this weekend, HD group a couple weeks ago, PNWRoadRiders got there Spring and Fall with some down other times during the year. This years t-shirt has Greg's lovely Savage engine picture on the front almost life size.  Hope to meet some of you there, info at FSSNOC.org

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 06/21/07 at 22:38:14

Only one week until the FSSNOC 'Thumper Lunch' in Spray OR. anyone else going to be there?

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 06/22/07 at 04:23:00

Personally, I think that anyone who desires to ride a bike and then complains about vibration should just go back to a cage.  A motorcycle is a small machine with a few cylinders, and it WILL VIBRATE.   Some do it more and some less ... it is the nature of the beast.  If you want to ride then get used to it, it is pat of the wonderful mystique of the experience on this type of machine.
Anyone who wants a vibration free ride should stay in the cage.    8)

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #9 - 06/22/07 at 07:09:30

You are correct Lancer.  Nothing wrong with a few minor mods to reduce the vibrations, but no excuse for complaining about it.  Believe it or not, I have Gout pretty bad in my feet, and the vibration actually helps message it and makes it feel better.  My doctor laughs about it, but says what ever it takes, do it.  After a long day on my feet, sometimes I take an extra few miles to get home for that reason. Grin Grin

I guess this could be called a bikers definition of physical therapy. Grin Grin

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Homey237
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 06/22/07 at 09:25:53

My wife is short in height and the legs.  The Suzuki Savage is one of the few bikes she can sit on AND touch the gound solidly with both feet.

Watch that darn muffler though ! ! !  Just found out today that she burned her right leg on the muffler a week ago  and she did not tell me.  I finally saw a bandage on the bathroom counter almost 10" in length !  I am going to work on finding her a "leg guard" for her right leg similar to what baseball players wear so they don't take a foul ball on the inside of their leg.  That muffler gets hot enough to cook breakfast on.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 06/22/07 at 10:38:53

Homey237 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
My wife is short in height and the legs.  The Suzuki Savage is one of the few bikes she can sit on AND touch the gound solidly with both feet.

Watch that darn muffler though ! ! !  Just found out today that she burned her right leg on the muffler a week ago  and she did not tell me.  I finally saw a bandage on the bathroom counter almost 10" in length !  I am going to work on finding her a "leg guard" for her right leg similar to what baseball players wear so they don't take a foul ball on the inside of their leg.  That muffler gets hot enough to cook breakfast on.

http://www.leatherlegs.net/

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #12 - 06/23/07 at 11:01:39

Buy a good pair of gel gloves.  I have a thick sheep skin seat cover and it helps.  Good advice on getting wheels balanced and having everything in specs.

RIDE SAFE!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:51:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Honest Appraisals Needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.