Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
lowering front end (Read 12 times)
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
lowering front end
06/16/07 at 07:32:15

I decided that im going to lower the front end of the bike. I am thinking of going with Franks Forks for the tubes. Heres the question? with the 9.5" struts on the rear what length under should I go for on the tubes?  or should I just go in the tubes and make spacers to lower?   Any suggesttions are much appreciated.

97 savage: BOBJOB
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Re: lowering front end
Reply #1 - 06/16/07 at 08:28:32

cFLOW wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I decided that im going to lower the front end of the bike. I am thinking of going with Franks Forks for the tubes. Heres the question? with the 9.5" struts on the rear what length under should I go for on the tubes?  or should I just go in the tubes and make spacers to lower?   Any suggesttions are much appreciated.  

I believe you to be in uncharted territory there.  Not many people want to go lower in the front.  

I hope someone can chime in to help you, because this interests me.  Are your rear struts 9.5 center to center on the bolts?  14mm holes 18mm deep?  How close on rear tire?

Maybe the thing to do would be to measure the stock forks length, then have a friend push the front down until the motor is leveled and measure the forks again?  Just an idea.  

Also, you might want to have a friend take photos of you on the bike.  I bet that the bike sits more like you're wanting it with you on it.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #2 - 06/16/07 at 09:50:58

The struts 14mm mounting holes; 1" solid bars; 1.5" to 1.75 "  clearence from the fender mounts to tire; 9.5" C-C . I just relized I could use tie downs to get the stance I want then measure like that.   I will be sure to inform everyone of my findings.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/18/07 at 05:47:20

If you are dead set on going lower why don't you just cut the stock tubes?  By taking a inch or two off you will lower the front and you should also gain a little support with the stock springs being compressed more.  Just a thought.  Would not cost much of anything.  I would have the tubes cut wil a diamond bladed saw that has water cooling... makes for an extremely clean cut.  Any ceramic tile man will have one.  Lowes/Home Depot sell inexpensive versions for about $79 sometimes.  It is a handy tool to have around when needing to cut metal, tile or rocks ... never know when your wife will show up with a rock and want it cut to see the pretty inside stuff...................  Grin

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #4 - 06/18/07 at 07:01:25

If I were to do that could any machine shop run new threads on the inside of the tube or would I need to find some one with a lathe? I was thnking about that but thought it would be more trouble.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 06/18/07 at 07:58:34

maybe it's jsut me, but are you considering messing witht he neck at all? more, maybe less rake?

the stock trail is what, 5"?  

rake & trail calculator

and this site may help

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #6 - 06/18/07 at 10:19:19

I dont plan on doing anything to the neck On the first site Trail and Rake calculator site. it said that if the trees are not raked then the trail doesnt change. also does anyone know the length of the stock tubes? i think after looking at it, It might just be to much to worry about right now. Or even at all.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 06/18/07 at 13:00:25

If I were to do that could any machine shop run new threads on the inside of the tube or would I need to find some one with a lathe? I was thnking about that but thought it would be more trouble.

Cutting the tubes and making some new threads, if needed, is about as easy a job as you can get for a machine shop.  Any trainee at the shop should be able to do the work with their eyes closed.

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 06/18/07 at 15:37:57

If there's any more to say, please don't abandon this thread.  Whether or not cFLOW follows thru, this is definitely something I plan on doing (lowered rear AND front -- low & compact).  Glad this came up again, and thanks, Lancer, for the tip.

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #9 - 06/18/07 at 15:46:20

I am going to do it as soon as I find out  how much, come up with the money and get the time to do it. I stared at the bike today for a least an hour looking at what all i need to do to finish it and realized if I didn t do it, I would never be happy with the bike. Any have a general ball park of what it will cost.

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 06/18/07 at 16:03:22

Seems to me that, if you had about 1" rear shock travel (after cutting springs), cutting about 1" off the fork tubes might be about right to keep things from scraping in turns.  ??

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 06/18/07 at 16:05:14

cFLOW, don't mean to hijack, hope you don't mind sharing the thread.

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 06/18/07 at 16:08:02

I stared at the bike today for a least an hour looking at what all i need to do to finish it and realized if I didn t do it, I would never be happy with the bike.

Know what you mean; it's hard to settle for anything less than your ideal image.  Great rat-bob, BTW!

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 06/18/07 at 16:21:25

Aren't the tubes tapered at the tops?    

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 06/18/07 at 16:40:49

With a shorter front end, would a fork brace still be a good idea?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 09:37:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lowering front end

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.