turn signals upgrade (Read 20 times)
SavageRichie
YaBB Newbies

The Devil Rides Out

Albuquerque, New Mexico
turn signals upgrade
06/15/07 at 17:57:49

Team,

I am in the process of upgrading the front turn signals with smaller chrome bullet type. I changed out the back units and removed the chrome sissy bar trim on the rear fender. I also removed the stock tail light and put on a cats eye style clear skull light with red bulb where the old plate light used to be. It cleans up the back nicely and looks so sinister.

Ok, now for the question. I am putting in the same turn signals up front, duel filament, of course and would like to use the same P clamps however the turn signal mounting bolt is too short.  Since a few of you savage nuts have been here already, how did you get aroujnd this.  I do not want to using fencing P clamps and chrome units are pricing (if that is the only choice that I have, I will go there) however is there another low cost method that looks great? I do not believe that Lowes sells hollow long bolts?  Ideas and suggestions welcome. I have to get a few pix of my savage up here, it really looks much different to most.

Thanks

Richie

99 Black Savage Bobber, steel forged by Suzuki, developed in Hell. Sinister, evil, and fathered by the devil.

99 Savage Bobber
73 Yamaha RD350 Cafe Racer
76 Suzuki TC100
82 Honda MB5
76 Z50 w
metrosrule3   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: turn signals upgrade
Reply #1 - 06/15/07 at 18:45:16

I can't find hollow bolts on-line.  Hrumph.

But....  If you have access to a drill press you could drill down the center of a solid bolt.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/15/07 at 18:49:29

What size do you need?

WWW   IP Logged
SavageRichie
YaBB Newbies

The Devil Rides Out

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reply #3 - 06/15/07 at 21:51:34

I need 2 3inch long hollow bolts to use the stock clamps. I will need to alter the new turn signals as well.  I was thinking of getting a plasma cut chrome design of a Celtic cross, tack (weld) a bolt at the bottom to attach to the stock clamp and mount the turn signal on the top, as an example.

P clamps chrome from Dennis Kirk work too I guess, if I give up the stock clamps.

What is the mm size of the fork tubes (41 or 44mm)?

Thanks

99 Black Savage Bobber, steel forged by Suzuki, developed in Hell. Sinister, evil, and fathered by the devil.

99 Savage Bobber
76 Suzuki TC100
82 Honda MB5
76 Z50 w
metrosrule3   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/15/07 at 22:53:48

38mm

WWW   IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/16/07 at 04:42:47

Without checking the dia. of the outside of the p clamps... you may be able to drill out the end oposite of the sig large enough to countersink the hole. If there is enough room to do this it will alllow for a shorter fastener... Undecided

IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #6 - 06/16/07 at 05:06:19

I saw extended hollow bolts in JP cycles paper catalogue. might try there. for me, I flipped my stock turn signal clamps on the front, around 180 degrees and it worked with the smaller bolts on my mini turn signals. here's a pic:

WWW   IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/16/07 at 09:18:19

Man that really cleans up the look of the front. Where did you get those sig lights? Price?

IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #8 - 06/16/07 at 09:35:22

I used conduit hangers on the handle bars. 79 cents.

IP Logged
Crusher0964
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/16/07 at 09:36:58

Crusher0964 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Man that really cleans up the look of the front. Where did you get those sig lights? Price?

What about the lights???

IP Logged
SavageRichie
YaBB Newbies

The Devil Rides Out

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reply #10 - 06/16/07 at 22:02:15

Thanks for all the input.  I went with a flat 2 hole bracket, used the stock p clamps and bolted the turn signals thru the top.  Come out great.  Post pix soon.

One last question, both running light and flasher light worked great, without the standard 3rd black/white ground wire from the stock harness.  I still connected it into the tuen signal shell body, hence all 3 wires from the stock harness from the headlight into the turn signal are connected.  I am wondering if that is alright.

The new turn signals have only 2 wires and I used rubber washers to keep the signals isolated from the the rest of the bike.  

Any comments??

99 Savage Bobber
76 Suzuki TC100
82 Honda MB5
76 Z50 w
metrosrule3   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:32:04