Send Topic Print
Clutch Slipping... (Read 7 times)
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Clutch Slipping...
06/14/07 at 07:12:24

I would use a question mark in the subject, but this is a french keyboard and I canèt find it...

If I open the throttle past say half the engine revs higher, but the bike just wonèt go faster. If I back off the throttle it will start to accell. I think itès the right oil type and I have a bit of play in the clutch lever (2 things I was told to check).

Now for the question (without the question mark) Is this likely the clutch (I think so) and what exactly does that mean I have to replaceÉ The friction plate and springs, or are there other things implied by a clutch replacement. Sorry for the newbie questions, but Ièm hell bent on fixing anything on this bike myself Smiley Thanks guys, and I love reading on this site, such a great collection of info.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Clutch Slipping...
Reply #1 - 06/14/07 at 08:23:18

It could be something as simple as having the clutch cable adjusted too tightly (as mine was at one point).  If that's not the problem, I'd first replace all my oil with something like a basic Rotella T 15w40 to discount the possibility of anti-friction additives and see if it runs better.  I did these but in the reverse order (basically because I got thickheaded and didn't think about the cable at first).  After that, I'd replace the clutch springs with a new stiffer set (they are around $15, I think) and/or shim the springs.  How old is the bike?  What kind of mileage does it have?  Spring compression is more likely related to age than mileage but wear and tear on other clutch parts is probably more related to mileage.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #2 - 06/14/07 at 13:43:15

I think there is plenty of play in the clutch cable. That was the first thing I checked. Mileage is a problem... the bike is an 87, but was merged with a crashed 2002. I was told the engine has 3500km on it, but I have no way to know what parts are from the 2002 besides the engine itself. The clutch components could be 5 years old or 20....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/14/07 at 15:19:40

Now I guess knowing what oil is in it might be a good thing.
Also, are you slipping the clutch a lot taking off? Or, any time other than taking off? It's not impossible for it to be time for some new stuff in the clutch, but I havent seen anyone here need it yet. IF you do decide to shim the clutch springs, note that the pockets they sit in are different depths from the surface. Even the washers in the bin were widely different in thickness, so I used callipers to get washers as close to the same thinckness as I could & turnd them to a diameter that would fit in the pocket the spring sits in, so each spring would get as close to the same shim as I could make it.

If it wont hold the power to accelerate at mid throttle, I'll bet its slipping quite a bit during any take off. Better get this solved quick or there will be no option but replace clutch plates.

IP Logged
metri

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #4 - 06/14/07 at 20:34:50

Thanks for the advice. As for oil, I was told it was 10w40 by the guy who sold me the bike... but who knows. I guess I'll change that first. As for the slipping, I notice it most when I open the throttle past half. There seems to be a weet spot (whith no slipping) just before half, after that, in any gear, nothing but engine noise.
I guess it slips on takeoff too, but since it's always been doing this, I guess I don't notice that part as much. I'll buy new springs and try that. How do I know if the plate needs to be replaced also?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/14/07 at 22:02:50

I dunno what they cost, but if its not too much & it was mine, I would just do it. I dont know what the springs cost either. Surely they arent too crazy. I just wouldnt want to go in & not fix it, so I would most likely have springs & clutch disks in hand when I opened it up. Along with the gasket & some triple bond goo. Seems like measuring the clutch pack, while it's still installed, would tell the tale on the wear. Now, how thick is it sposed to be? I dunno, Greg may have a pic of it with callipers showing exactly how thick it is new & the minimum specs. Good luckl, Imm  pooped & going to bed,

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 06/15/07 at 04:27:33

If you don't have a particular merchant in mind, Lancer can do Barnett stuff (along with a number of other vendors) and I got my clutch springs through him.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/15/07 at 04:45:03

metri wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Thanks for the advice. As for oil, I was told it was 10w40 by the guy who sold me the bike... but who knows. I guess I'll change that first.

I would definitely change the oil first.  It may be 10w40, but was it oil made for a motorcycle that has a wet clutch??
Get oil specifically for motorcycles.  Do NOT put any oil in there that has any "friction modifiers".
Here is a message thread that discusses it at some length:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #8 - 07/13/07 at 13:51:59

would a slipping clutch cause not only bad midrange performance but a clunky (ka-chunk) 1-2 shift?

also, my bike has 21,500 miles.  and is 21 years old.  probably need to do a clutch anyway, huh.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:25:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Slipping...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.