Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drove 93 miles looking for a $.28 screw... (Read 10 times)
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Drove 93 miles looking for a $.28 screw...
06/11/07 at 15:16:38

Whilst cleaning the recently purchased Savage, I noticed the brake fluid was a tad low. One of the screws on the cap was fine, but the other was stripped out a bit. I could have tightened it one more time, but I never would have gotten it off again without a LOT of trouble and "magic" words. So I carefully removed the bad one and decided to make a quick trip to pick up a new screw.

One Autozone, two Advance AutoParts, a Napa, two Suzuki dealerships, a Home Depot, two Lowe's, and three hours later, I finally found the right screw...

Who would have thought that an M4-.70x12 Oval head Phillips machine screw was such a rare item in the metro Atlanta area...

Jeeeez!

I bought ten of them.

I can't wait to start looking for tires.

IP Logged
steelwolf
Serious Thumper

"I'm a cowboy,
on a steel horse I
ride."

Trinity, NC
Re: Drove 93 miles looking for a $.28 screw...
Reply #1 - 06/11/07 at 15:34:23

Well let me save you some time,

Call ahead cause the dealer probably won't have them. I would suggest ordering them ahead of time.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/11/07 at 15:38:28

A couple more screw shopping trips & you gonna need to start hunting tires. It's better to have tires delivered by Big Brown. & looking for screws?  Go to an industrial supply house. IF there is one. Grab the yellow pages & look under bolts & screws or in some places, threaded fasteners.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #3 - 06/11/07 at 15:52:05

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
A couple more screw shopping trips & you gonna need to start hunting tires. It's better to have tires delivered by Big Brown. & looking for screws?  Go to an industrial supply house. IF there is one. Grab the yellow pages & look under bolts & screws or in some places, threaded fasteners.

Justin nailed that one. JP Cycles has the tire for a good price to your door. We have a place here called Industrial Bolt and Screw, got everything but those British Witworth  threaded items.

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 06/11/07 at 21:18:46

If your front brake master cylinder cap screws are stock, you will notice a small dot embossed in the head of the screw.

This is a danger signal that you stand a good chance of stripping the screw head if you use a standard Phillips screwdriver.

Here is the correct tool:

http://www.amessupply.com/products1.cfm?aid=1&cid=D&sid=DE&fid=1404070

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 06/12/07 at 03:45:26

If I can't find it at work I won't find it at any retail outlet -- metric fasteners other than standard nuts & bolts are NOT easily available at hardware stores or the big home stores.  Easier just to go here and place an order -- these guys have it in stainless which does much better on the outside of a bike.

http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=25&cs=83&cm=19&cd=1317

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 06/12/07 at 05:38:48

jkhulon73 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Whilst cleaning the recently purchased Savage, I noticed the brake fluid was a tad low. One of the screws on the cap was fine, but the other was stripped out a bit. I could have tightened it one more time, but I never would have gotten it off again without a LOT of trouble and "magic" words. So I carefully removed the bad one and decided to make a quick trip to pick up a new screw.

One Autozone, two Advance AutoParts, a Napa, two Suzuki dealerships, a Home Depot, two Lowe's, and three hours later, I finally found the right screw...

Who would have thought that an M4-.70x12 Oval head Phillips machine screw was such a rare item in the metro Atlanta area...

Jeeeez!

I bought ten of them.

I can't wait to start looking for tires.

As they say...

"The ride is the reason, the destination is the excuse".

Tongue

Besides, dealerships do not ever stock parts anymore.  A couple decades ago, dealers had nuts and bolts.  I spent lots of time digging through boxes of bolts just like that.  Now a days?  Nada.  If it doesn't have a bar code, they don't have it.

IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/12/07 at 05:42:26

The ones I wound up buying I found in a specialty bin at Lowe's- stainles steel, good to go. That dimpled, pot-metal stock garbage went right where it belongs...

...in a plastic cap from a spray paint can on the back of my work bench with all the other nuts and bolts and screws I've replaced over the years...

I can't ever throw any thing out.

Incidentally, I was able to fix the brake light switch on the front brake that I didn't even realize wasn't working. It's not like I can really (legally) go anywhere on it right now anyway.

IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/12/07 at 05:48:46

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
 Now a days?  Nada.  If it doesn't have a bar code, they don't have it.

I can't believe how young these kids are working behind the counter and I'm only 34. I spent most of my summers in high school working with my best friend at his family's parts store doing inventory. Counting box after box of bolts and washers and screws and all kinds of little doo-dads. You're absolutely right about nowadays... The kid at the dealership wanted to order the whole master cylinder assembly. All I needed was a $.28 screw (which my best friend's dad and all of his employees would have just given away)

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #9 - 06/12/07 at 06:07:50

93 miles eh? Methinks that mayhaps you weren't looking hard enough.  Roll Eyes Nice ride though.  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/12/07 at 06:40:59

Also, since you were a "Tad low" maybe your brakes are a "Tad Used". When the pads get replaced, the fluid will be displaced back into the mastercylinder reservoir. Remove some to make room. Maybe it will be time to drain & replace by then.

IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/12/07 at 07:15:10

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
93 miles eh? Methinks that mayhaps you weren't looking hard enough.  Roll Eyes Nice ride though.  Cheesy

93 miles in the pick-up- the bike (and me) ain't licensed yet. That whole salvage title thing is a pain. I live in the sticks more or less- it's ten miles one way to the nearest parts store. And if they ain't got what I need, it's another eight miles further up the road. The dealership is about 30. And then I came home the back way to avoid the five o'clock traffic.

And the fluid was only about a 1/16" low- I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/12/07 at 07:21:04

But, It's okay for it to be low. Its sposed to be low. Well,, below the FULL line, not lower than the low line. As brakes wear, fluid takes the place of the piston as it moves out.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 06/12/07 at 07:33:45

jkhulon73 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
93 miles in the pick-up- the bike (and me) ain't licensed yet. That whole salvage title thing is a pain. I live in the sticks more or less- it's ten miles one way to the nearest parts store. And if they ain't got what I need, it's another eight miles further up the road. The dealership is about 30. And then I came home the back way to avoid the five o'clock traffic.

And the fluid was only about a 1/16" low- I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Methinks that livin' in the "sticks" is a good place to be though Grin

IP Logged
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/12/07 at 07:55:06

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Methinks that livin' in the "sticks" is a good place to be though Grin

I like the sticks, or as we called it back in Texas- "B.F.E." (I'm sure someone knows what that means)

I work in downtown 'lanta and I like the feeling of decompression when I get home.

I just would like to add that I've been turning wrenches since I was a wee lad. This may be my first bike, but I'm not a complete doofus. Maybe a quarter... (My girl will say at least 2/3 if you ask her  Grin )

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 10:43:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drove 93 miles looking for a $.28 screw...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.