Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Invisible Problem.
Reply #30 - 06/12/07 at 07:16:08

I never said stupid, but I recognized ignorance.

In 40 years, I've broken bolts, flooded carbs, pinched tubes, wrecked bikes, and a generous share of just plain stupid stuff before I learned the rules.  

All I try to do now is pass on that insight.

Now, let's get that thing running right, okay? (after you get to feelin' better).

Smiley

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #31 - 06/12/07 at 17:34:49

Prepare for hilarity.  I have a question.

Is it possible, say, for a person to...put the white spacer on the wrong side of the clip?

And, would that person be horribly stupid if they can say, without a doubt, that that was the side the thing was on when the carb came off the bike the first time?

I'm pretty FREAKIN sure that my spacer is below the clip.  I.e.  if the + sign were the needle with the clip on, my spacer was below the clip.  Not above it.

YEAH, I'VE NEVER SEEN THAT TILL JUST A FEW MINUTES AGO.

Wonder why the bike's been running rich for freakin 10 years.

10 year statement based on person purchased from, and person purchased from by person purchased from.

Also, I've never seen parts 7 or 8.  wtf are they?

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #32 - 06/12/07 at 17:44:38

In defense of myself, I am a fantastic reader, and pay great attention to detail.  My clymer's manual probably shows it the right way, and I imagine the microfiche does as well.

But, monkey disassemble, monkey reassemble same way.  

Even if it is wrong.  

I'd put the Leaning Tower of Pisa back up at exactly the same freakin angle.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #33 - 06/12/07 at 21:42:21

Interesting....especially since I posted that drawing Tongue

If the spacer was below, where was the spring?  I'm trying to visualize if it actually would change the needle height....

Oh, but it WOULD because then the end of the needle would stick up higher through the plate.  Wouldn't it?  The plate holding the spacer determines the height, right?  So if the clip is on top then the needle moves up....

Wow.  Just about like having no needle Tongue

Good job!

Here's a photo from my CD...

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #34 - 06/12/07 at 22:29:47

Yeah.  I don't have one of those springs.  At all.  Never have.

I found that pic in one of your posts.  The plate on top of my needle doesn't have a hole in the center, either.

I'm betting some redneck screwed around with it.  I'll take pics of how my slide is put together when I rectify this situation.  Just gotta find something for a spring now.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #35 - 06/12/07 at 22:36:27

I'm also guessing that the lack of midrange power might be because the bike was running a BIT rich there.

And my jet needle doesn't look anything like that.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 06/13/07 at 04:51:38

Is it a Mikuni carb? Is the slide the right slide? Man, Someones been having a long idiotic game on ya.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #37 - 06/13/07 at 04:54:57

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I'm also guessing that the lack of midrange power might be because the bike was running a BIT rich there.

And my jet needle doesn't look anything like that.

No spring, no hole, and the needle looks different....

The spring just allows the needle to guide itself and float in the jet, but no hole in the plate?  I don't know if that plate has changed over the years or not.

The appearance of the needle isn't as important as whether it matches the jet and the original carb setup.  The jet needles have changed a couple times.  The tapers can be different.

I wonder if you might not do better to find a used carb and start over.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #38 - 06/13/07 at 07:16:11

Slide fits perfectly.  It is a Mikuni carb.  Soon as I yank that carb out I'm going to get some measurements on some things, hopefully someone can check against theirs to see if it's good.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #39 - 06/13/07 at 21:57:40

Slide fits perfectly.  It is a Mikuni carb.  Soon as I yank that carb out I'm going to get some measurements on some things, hopefully someone can check against theirs to see if it's good.

What measurements are you gonna take?  Calipers or micrometers in metric?  You know that a 150 main jet is 1.5 MM right?

Check the carb specs in a manual or the tech section...that's much easier Tongue

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #40 - 06/14/07 at 20:49:08

okokok....so, here's the state of the bike

still waiting on spacer and pilot screw.  

Cut a piece of wire insulation to about 2.4mm and put it in.  Discovered something neat.  The reason I've never seen that spring or washer is because whoever put the space on the wrong side did so roughly, and wedged the washer that sits on the spring down in the slide, jamming it.

Third, local shop identified the needle I had, but didn't tell me what it was.  They were, oddly, slightly happy to see it and traded me with a 5c17 that they had in the bottom of a toolbox somewhere.  FREEBIE!

Needle jet is an x-6, so that's cool.

Bike won't start now, but I'm THINKING it MIGHT be the pilot screw needing to be adjusted.  After I get it in there I'll be able to tell if I need a new pilot jet.  Other ideas on why it won't start include the float height, but it's too late to screw with it.

Really waiting on that spacer and the pilot screw.  Anyone have a good method for removing the pilot screw after it is stripped out to the point of silliness?

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 06/14/07 at 22:06:17

You are back to the point where you gotta think (as  you said)...Spark Air, Fuel.

The air hasn't changed.  The spark hasn't changed.

Do you have gas in the bowl?

Did you try to choke it when you started it?  That will enrichen it enough to start.  Needle has nothing to do with starting really.

Gotta get that first fire.  After that it is just fine tuning.

Did you clean that plug?

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #42 - 06/15/07 at 06:15:59

No, I didn't clean that plug, but last I had it out it looked spotless.  I think the reason I may have had trouble starting the second time was that I had flooded it out.

I did get it to start and run last night.  Just for a few seconds, and it sounded a lot better than it did Friday after the spacer fiasco.

I'm not used to having to choke to start it.   When I had, for all intents and purposes, a brass rod kinda sitting in my needle's position, it was rich enough to start in the arctic without choke.  

I'm going to run through the big three this morning and see if it was just that it was dark and I was a little beered.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #43 - 06/15/07 at 09:01:28

No, I didn't clean that plug, but last I had it out it looked spotless.  

Spotlessly black, just like you like it?

Too bad the plugs aren't self cleaning Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 06/15/07 at 11:08:09

Greg, those pics are pro quality. All your pics are. What camera are you using?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:42:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Invisible Problem.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.