Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Invisible Problem.
Reply #15 - 06/11/07 at 07:29:50

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Also, how do I check the crankcase for gas?

Ya know...as this topic has progressed, I've noticed that you've lost the original thought.

First off, if the bike is running a little rich (as you initially stated in paragraph 2), you do not shave off a little bit more of the spacer.  That just makes it even richer.

Then a little further down, you mention that "Plug is nice and black.  Like I like it".  What the heck does that mean?  Since when is a plug supposed to be black?  Tan is the way that "Glenn" likes it.

Look.  Think KISS!  As crude as that may sound, that is the rule to follow.  Always.  You mention "Spark, Air, Fuel...we got em".  Good thing to remember but you have to have the proper ratio of each at the right time.

How do you check for gas in the crankcase?  Start by looking in the sight glass.  Is it over filled?

Wispy white smoke?  Black smoke is usually gas.  Grey is usually oil.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #16 - 06/11/07 at 07:51:32

Glenn's had a black plug for the last three owners.

I shaved just a touch off the spacer to restore some midrange power.

I believe what I've done is set one float higher than the other, causing a flood.  I'll be putting a UNI filter on sometime in the next few days, which should lean up the mixture enough for the "mods" I've made.

And the new Harley dealership opened last week, so I might finally be able to get the jets to get the plug nice and grey.

kthx.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 06/11/07 at 08:49:37

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Glenn's had a black plug for the last three owners.

That means that 3 people have been wrong.

Quote:
I shaved just a touch off the spacer to restore some midrange power.

Making it richer when you don't need it robs power.

Quote:
I believe what I've done is set one float higher than the other, causing a flood.  

You don't adjust the float level by bending the individual floats.  They are supposed to be the same, and the adjustment is made on the float needle tab.
Quote:
I'll be putting a UNI filter on sometime in the next few days, which should lean up the mixture enough for the "mods" I've made.

That likely will not make the mixture any leaner.

Quote:
And the new Harley dealership opened last week, so I might finally be able to get the jets to get the plug nice and grey.

So you are going to buy smaller jets?  Sounds like you are already too rich and larger jets will just make the whole thing worse.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #18 - 06/11/07 at 09:14:01

First up, Greg, I'm taking you with a grain of salt here.  I haven't done anything to lean my bike up because parts availability was, until last week, almost nil.  The Suzuki dealership here in little Hot Springs, Arkansas isn't as fancy as  those up in the Pacific Northwest.  Indy parts stores also have a meager selection.

Ever try to bend a tab on a 21 year old float?  Upside down?  The float drums bend a little when you grip them, at least in my experience.  The fix is to put the float upside down on a flat surface and make sure the armature mount lies flat.  It's happened at least 3 times to me with this carb.  If I have the float bowl off and breathe wrong, the floats go out of balance.

That's the reason the 2nd owner couldn't fix the rich condition.  Hard to find Mikuni jets loose somewhere.  

I've had the bike 3 months now and amongst the multitude of things I've done right, I've never had anyone point at the things which I ADMIT WERE WRONG.  

Don't fix the blame, Greg, help fix the problem.

Now, I'm going to stop posting on this thread before I get angry.  I really do like you Greg, you're just going to have to think about what you're saying and how you're saying it.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 06/11/07 at 10:15:24

So.  Take me with a grain of salt.  

You want me to sugar coat it and make it all warm and fuzzy just to save your feelings?  Or do YOU want to fix the problems?

If you make a bunch of mistakes and then make excuses, you are still wrong.  Be mad if you want.  It's your bike.

Now, I was saving this photo for my CD...but let's cut through the BS.  Use this and stop all the guessing about float level...

This is not my original idea.  I can't take the credit, but here is a good technique which I have photographed for use on the Savage.

- Get a piece of surgical tubing, aquarium tubing, or windshield washer tubing.

- Put petc0ck on PRI (unless you've mutilated it with that silly mod) or ON.

- Hook up the tubing like this and open the drain screw.

The level, IF it is correct, should be equal to the bowl flange gasket.  In this photo the floats are a little bit low.

Your problems don't have to be invisible.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #20 - 06/11/07 at 14:57:52

AMEN

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

BTW: I did not know that trick, thanks Greg

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 06/11/07 at 15:29:14

What jet do yoiu have in it? What jet do you need? I have a nice selection & can send a couple, though I have yet to pay for them & will have to pony up 5 bucks each when I go settle with the guy. I can get them in the mail tomorrow, I hope, let me know what ya want. BUT, I am keepin the 150, I have a spare 152.5.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 06/11/07 at 15:32:39

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
          AMEN

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

BTW: I did not know that trick, thanks Greg

I found that on a really good (technical) bike forum and now I keep a piece of the tubing in my toolbox all the time.

IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 06/11/07 at 17:47:54

Ahh yes, the old water level trick. The ancient Egyptians used this method to level building foundations ('cept they dug trenches instead of using clear plastic tubing Smiley

In fact, that's how I levelled the foundation for my house. Much more accurate than those laser-level-overpriced-startrek-surveyor's widgets. Greg is correct, this will tell you the exact fuel level in the float bowl. In fact, it can also be used to tell the fuel level in the gas tank too (but that's another topic).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 06/11/07 at 18:01:54

Geeze, if I had thought about that years ago, I coulda hooked one up to the kid on trips. Then I woulda known when it was time to stop. I guess if ya stop just before it gets to their eyes they are okay?

IP Logged
Don Steel
YaBB Newbies

East Yorkshire, Great Britain
Reply #25 - 06/12/07 at 05:20:00

Jeez Greg, some people you just can't help!!! Embarrassed

I thought the advice was all good and no way malicious! Undecided

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 06/12/07 at 05:20:33

borne2fly wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
In fact, it can also be used to tell the fuel level in the gas tank too (but that's another topic).

Grin
Well, only if you have your floats adjusted way too high.  In which case, just change the bowl vent tubes to clear plastic and you're good to go.  No need to open the drain screw then.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #27 - 06/12/07 at 05:22:06

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Geeze, if I had thought about that years ago, I coulda hooked one up to the kid on trips. Then I woulda known when it was time to stop. I guess if ya stop just before it gets to their eyes they are okay?

You'd need 2 tubes for each kid.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 06/12/07 at 05:33:17

Don Steel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Jeez Greg, some people you just can't help!!! Embarrassed

I thought the advice was all good and no way malicious! Undecided

It was really intended as "No BS".

All that I can say is, take it to a dealership to get it fixed.  They won't give you advice or even care, but you'll know the true meaning of malicious when you get the bill.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #29 - 06/12/07 at 06:20:46

ah geez.  Time for me to apologize.  Broke the bike on Friday, got sick Friday night.  Been too sick since to go out and work on it and I start getting defensive around hour 20 on non-functionality.

New pilot screw and spacer are on order, I'm getting some air filter oil today and modding the airbox so I can fit the can on the bike.  Gotta drain the crankcase and reset my float.  Nice idea with the tubing, I like that.  Gonna pass that along to my brother the avionics tech.  He loves to teach airline mechanics new tricks that he learned in the Navy.  Just have to figure out a way to mount tubing on our drain plug.

#4 washers need the outside ground down to around 5.75mm to fit where the spacer was, right?  I'm going to get some of them and see if I can come up with around the same spacing.  

Thanks for the advice Greg, I get defensive when I do something stupid and you give good advice when I do something stupid.  Guess I need to remember that.  Sorry, man.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:26:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Invisible Problem.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.