Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Spark Plug help (Read 8 times)
Yellow96

Spark Plug help
06/08/07 at 13:05:02

I have a modified bike that seems to always run lean at idle even though my edelbrock carb is tuned all the way rich.  

A guy I know asked me if I had considered a different spark plug to solve the problem.  Anyone ever try that?

Not sure what the thought is behind it, looking for ideas.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Spark Plug help
Reply #1 - 06/08/07 at 13:17:52

If your talking idle only, have you changed your pilot jet size?  Can you increase it?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #2 - 06/08/07 at 14:19:33

The edelbrock doesnt have a pilot jet.  it's a flat slide with an adjustment knob to run it leaner or richer by drawing out the needle or running it deeper in the slide.  kinda cool set up unless it doesn't go far enough.

IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/08/07 at 17:17:52

I think what he was implying is what controls the pilot circuit on that carb? Is it a needle with an adjustable clip under the diaphram or something? Maybe it needs to be moved up a notch. Sounds like a pilot issue to me as well, but I don't know if a hotter plug will solve that. Nonetheless, it's a cheap remedy to at least try out. I'd be curious to know if it helps you out at all.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 06/08/07 at 17:21:25

is the plug wet???

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #5 - 06/08/07 at 21:02:54

Right, On the edelbrock the pilot part is controlled with a knob that can be adjusted by shutting the bike off, rolling on the throttle and twisting the knob right for rich and left for lean (controls idle to 1/3 throttle).  The rest of the mixture is set by the needle size.  I have the idle mixture set at full rich and it still backfires after I shut it off.

I am running a new stock NGK.  What plug do you recommend?  I don't have much background here.

Not sure what you mean thumperclone, is the plug wet?  Do you mean gas soaked?

The strange thing about this is that the full open part of the needle is too rich.  I have tried other needles but havent had any luck, I have one more size to try.  Good that they aren't too expensive.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 06/10/07 at 09:34:11

Ahh, I completely missed that you said it was an Edelbrock.  I've never used one though I've considered it as I'm generally a fan of simplicity.  I believe Lancer has some experience with them.  If he doesn't see this thread anytime soon, you might try sending him an email or a PM.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #7 - 06/10/07 at 17:59:59

So can someone help with how to pick a hotter/cooler plug?  Which one makes it richer.  How does that work?  What number plug should I try?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/10/07 at 19:37:25

I step gingerly onto the limb. I would guess I would go with a cooler plug if I was lean & a hotter plug if I was rich.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 06/10/07 at 20:59:11

Yellow96 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
So can someone help with how to pick a hotter/cooler plug?  Which one makes it richer.  How does that work?  What number plug should I try?

??? which sparkplug will change the mixture  ???

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/11/07 at 05:04:21

I know a plug wont actually change the mix, but IF I am lean, then I wouldnt want a hot plug, too. Right? Or would it matter to the piston at all? Once a lean mix fires, its hot in there. If it's gonna hole the piston, no cooler plug will stop it, I'll be betting.
But, if I am rich, then shouldnt I be running a hotter plug?

I know the real answer is to get the jetting right, but that wassnt the question.

IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #11 - 06/11/07 at 06:13:21

Exactly what I hope to learn Justin.  If I run a cooler plug for a lean condition, then what I'm doing is trying to have an incomplete burn in the cylinder, right?  I know its not the right way to solve the problem, but the guy who put this edelbrock on (long ago and a few owners back) probably used the wrong one and I really don't want to drop carb money in this bike.

If I run a cooler plug though, won't it effect the burn at all rpms?  That would be a problem since the carb runs a little rich from 1/3 to open throttle.  I could fix that with a new needle, which is pretty cheap.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #12 - 06/11/07 at 07:39:21

Ok, I'll wade in here now...

A cooler plug or a smaller spark gap will cause a lean engine to act "richer."  The reason is the burn will happen slower, especially a smaller spark gap which will act like retarded timing, and basically has the same effect.  If you're running too rich at WOT, then either of these "fixes" will make your WOT problem worse and much more pronounced.

Hope this helps.  BTW, what exhaust are you running?  Stock backpressure will greatly simplify tuning, and cover a multitude of "tuning sins"  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Yellow96

Reply #13 - 06/11/07 at 14:55:22

I have the Dyna muff and the drop-in K&N, Lots of flow on the bike and that carb is pretty free flowing.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #14 - 06/11/07 at 16:56:26

Ok, that's not that radical.  You may not like the unintended consequences of completely eliminating "backfires after I shut it off."  You may experience poor "hot weather" performance and greatly reduced MPG.  Backfire, or more accurately "post ignition" is part and parcel with an efficiently tuned single.  My bike gives a modest "poof" on shutdown and is turning in just under 70 MPG on the highway.

You might try 1 heat range cooler plug, or decreased spark plug gap of .005-.007 inches, and see how you like it.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:43:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spark Plug help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.