Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'88 Bike Pic Any windshield suggestions? (Read 24 times)
tjrobin30
Ex Member

'88 Bike Pic Any windshield suggestions?
06/08/07 at 11:02:09

Finally cleaned up my new baby and shot a few pics.  You can see them all at  http://www.bikepics.com/members/tjrobin30/88savage/ but here is one of my favorites

I am wondering if anyone has any windshield suggestions?  My husband has a shield on his M50 from Memphis Shades and likes it a lot.  I was looking at their Hellcat style.  I am 5'5" and want something that looks good but isn't really huge on my bike.

Thanks for any suggestions.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: '88 Bike Pic Any windshield suggestions?
Reply #1 - 06/08/07 at 11:56:43

When I was looking for a Windscreen for my Savage, I though the Memphis shades had the best looking screens and mounting hardware. If appearance is important, make sure you look at the exact one you are getting, the screens are pretty good size compared to the Savage.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 06/08/07 at 17:03:00

tjrobin30 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
....I am wondering if anyone has any windshield suggestions? ... I am 5'5" and want something that looks good but isn't really huge on my bike.....

Form Follows Function.  First you figure out the function you want; then you can pick the form of the  screen.

You enjoy the wind rushing past your body, but when you get up past 60 -65 mph the pressure is pushing you backward and you're having to grip the handlebars too tightly to literally hang on.  You want a National Cycle Flyshield.  Just nine inches tall, less than ten inches wide, it may look useless but it does block just enough to allow relaxed riding at freeway speeds.

The temperature has dropped and icy fingers are slipping past the collar and chilling your upper body.  You need to block wind at or below chin height.  A seventeen inch by seventeen inch National Cycle Street Shield will fill the bill while still giving you that wind in the face feeling that is the reason for dogs hanging out of car windows.

I have both, don't see any need for anything larger.  And with warmer weather I'll be removing the Street Shield this weekend and running naked until I mount the Flyshield for the Reunion trip.

WWW   IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #3 - 06/08/07 at 18:02:40

I have a National Flyscreen for sale. PM me if you are interested or want a pic. 8)

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
tjrobin30
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/08/07 at 21:31:31

Thanks for the offer on the flyscreen but I think I want something a little bigger that will serve me for longer rides.  It wasn't the Hellcat but the Shooter from Memphis Shades that I was looking at.  It is 19" wide and 14" in height.

IP Logged
wvchoppers
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/09/07 at 04:40:09

i just got this one cheap from ebay as a "blem", but i couldnt find a thing wrong with it...it was brand new in the box, and looks and functions great Grin, big enough to work well, but not too big for the bike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=ST...

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 06/09/07 at 05:29:49

I have a Spitfire too. It is easily adjustable for different riders/conditions. Works great.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Superray
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Simple and
clean....no frills.

Dayton, Ohio
Reply #7 - 06/09/07 at 19:27:00

I have an 87' and it really works with a Memphis Shades "Demon" wind screen. I tried the original Suzuki Savage screen and it is just too narrow for anything more than in town riding. If you are going to cruise for 50 miles or more, then by all means get a decent shade. I am about 5'8" and the Demon hits me at just above eye level, so you should be good in the rain. The real neat trick is top have it fit just on top of the light and have the eye level on the right track. Good luck,.....Ray

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #8 - 06/09/07 at 21:18:51

If I remember correctly the one I had is Mephis shades Duece 17" with a black shade on the bottom part. I used it for a couple years and it is now on my B-i-L's 87, please do not use an ammoria based cleaner or it will craze it.  Still usable just not very sightly. Running and old Wixom full fairing now and love it rain or shine. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/10/07 at 12:12:49

Givi makes a little windshield that clamps onto the bars in 2 places, one on each side & stabilizes by sitting on the headlight. I have one on the Guzzi & it is fine even at 100 MPH. Just enough wind hitting to keep me from being too hot & it doesnt create a helmet buffeting issue. It did buffet it, but I got a flip face type & now it doesnt. I think I gave about $100.00, maybe it was less. Maybe you can find online pics. If you do & like what you see & need help finding a dealer I will hook you up.PM Me. It doesnt come up to eye level at all, but has a lip on it that deflects air up nicely. The pressure just isnt there on my chest like on the Suzuki.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:33:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › '88 Bike Pic Any windshield suggestions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.