Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oil in the air box and in the filter? (Read 15 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Oil in the air box and in the filter?
Reply #15 - 06/10/07 at 12:36:01

Someone asked if the slide might be sticking, & that sure sounds like a good question to me. Since it peaks & wont go past that level of performance, but the engine is running fine, just won't run any higher rpm. Hmm, RPM? I see it wont run past a certain speed in hiugh gear, what about lower gears, does the engine peak at the same RPM in each gear?

IP Logged
RangerBob
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 06/10/07 at 13:45:18

Justin

The engine will rev to a certain RPM in each gear and then runs out of any additional power.  The revs will slowly climb past that point in 1st and 2nd.  As the forward speed increases and the mechanical advantage decreases, the engine can no longer pick up revs and my speed maxes out.

What is a "slider".  I just took the carb out and was inspecting it for rust or contamination.

Pretty clean inside.  Just a hint of red dust in the float bowl.

BUT the black thinggy that goes in from the top will not move with reasonable finger pressure.  Since there is a spring in the top pushing down on this, I suspect that this part is stuck.  Is this the "slider"?

Is there a fix?

Thanks for you help.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #17 - 06/10/07 at 14:22:21

Yes, the black thingy that moves up and down as you're looking into the throat of the carb is the slide.

It should move easily.  If not, it's not clean.

To clean it, remove the top of the carb.  Remove the slide spring, remove the slide.  Clean the metal part with a clean rag and carb cleaner until it is operating room clean.   Reinsert slide, turn until the bump on the rubber gasket matches the one in the carb's groove.  Push gasket down into groove.  Put the spring back in.  Put the top back on the carb.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
RangerBob
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 06/10/07 at 15:31:38

I think you've found the problem.  

This thread stared out with oil in the airbox, and now I see that the "slider" is really oily.

That oil, apparently, caused the "slider" to stick.  It was stuck hard enought that I had to pry it loose.  Once it broke free, though, it moved OK.

I cleaned the hole and the slider itself, and now it seems to move freely.  I'll put the hole deal back together and see if it runs OK.

Thanks so much for the help!

Ranger Bob.

IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #19 - 06/25/07 at 16:23:48

what was you outcome?  did you fix it?

1987 Savage 100% stock and happy with that, owned it since it was BRAND NEW!
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #20 - 06/25/07 at 19:41:09

Guys,
I had this problem, but not nearly as bad.
If you overfill the oil sump or lay the bike down, you will get oil in the airbox and carb. This will create problems.
My problem was the carb piston became stickey with oil and the bike would not go into warp speed. (accelerate at higher RPM for those in Rio Linda).
I had to remove the carb and clean the piston and its bore. This fixed the problem. This can also happen if you install a K&N air filter.
I'm now at 12 SuperTrapp discs and can accelerate to warp factor 3. My rear Metzler is going away fast. Grin

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:52:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil in the air box and in the filter?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.