Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HD pipe install. (Read 4 times)
BornOnFire
Ex Member

HD pipe install.
06/07/07 at 19:42:08

I bought what looks like an HD Sporty Pipe last weekend and although I searched up pretty good here, I couldn't get the diffinitive answer as to if a 10* connector piece is required for the pipe install. It looks as though the HD slip-on may fit over the existing Savage header using the OEM Clamp and still have about 1/2" of bracket left on the pipe to attach to the Bike's frame mount. Am I out of my mind?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: HD pipe install.
Reply #1 - 06/07/07 at 22:30:53

I've noticed some people go with an adapter and bolt it up that way.  Some bolt it up direct.  I didn't want mine sticking out to far, so I bolted direct.  If you put a bunch of hacksaw cuts on the front end of the muffler, you can squeeze it down onto the stock pipe over the stock exhaust gasket (if you didn't destroy it) and drill a hole in the stock muffler support bracket to match up with the muffler's bolt tab.  Or if you like the longer exhaust line, pay a couple bucks for an adapter/extension at your local muffler shop.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 06/07/07 at 23:25:34

There is a third alternative. After having tried both the "crooked adapter pipe" and "direct bolt on" methods and tiring of leak/backfire problems as others have fought, I just took it to a friends welding shop and had the muffler and head pipe TIG welded together. No leaks; perfect fit; comes off in one piece and goes back on easily the same way. Worked for me. YMMV

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 06/08/07 at 01:05:42

My solution to fit a HD-Dyna muffler. Took a 6"long pipe that fits the inner diam. of the muffler. Sawed the front end off at an angle  and welded that to the existing header. The muff was clamped with an HD clamp to the pipe and ... NO leaks.
The rear end of the muff. attached with a bolt to the existing bracket. As a matter of safety ( I'm from aviation maintenance) I drilled the head of the bolt and fitted locking wire.
You renew the header-to-head gasket offcourse!

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 06/08/07 at 06:44:48

the 10 deg bend in the adaptor helps point the muff away from the rear brake lever to minimize soot build up
there..when i had hd muffs on i fabbed (offset bend)a piece of flat stock for the pipe to stock mount span...
didnt like the idea of exh gasses on my brake lever,&cable...btw hi temp rtv for both ends of adaptor give it over nite b4 starting bike to assure good seal..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/08/07 at 07:54:49

Thanks for the tips guys. I don't think I will weld anything yet. I may want to do Jardine or Super Trapp in the future.  I think I can slip the HD over the stock header but the mount may be an issue. I like the idea of fabbing a bracket if the mounts do not match. Heh Heh, Metal Fab-GOOD!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:31:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HD pipe install.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.