Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
800 Mile Service? (Read 4 times)
BornOnFire
Ex Member

800 Mile Service?
06/07/07 at 19:37:29

I bought my 2005 S40 w/400 miles on her so it was used and unfortunately, I was not able to get any manuals, or the darn Fork lock Key (Why one key doesn't fit all is beyond me.... Roll Eyes ). Anyhow, can anyone give me an idea of what the manual suggests for the 800 mile break-in service? Oil is a given, but I'm wondering what else  might need some specific adjustments or attention (brakes, cam chain, belt drive, etc..)? So far I love the bike but the stock fuel settings causing the backfiring and high-end starvation is pathetic. I guess I will tackle that too.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: 800 Mile Service?
Reply #1 - 06/08/07 at 04:13:46

I think you're looking for the 600 mile first maintenance interval - what I remember:
oil change
check torque on bolts
check fuel hose
clutch cable
throttle cable
valve adjustment

The biggie is the valve adjustment. If you search, I'm sure you'll find discussions on the pros and cons of this first adjustment. Bottom line for me, some of the Savages need it, some don't. IMHO it's not all that hard to check vs. losing your ride to a premature failure. Same thing with crawling around to check all the torques. I wouldn't rely on even a good dealership to do all the maintenance on my ride.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #2 - 06/08/07 at 05:40:14

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I wouldn't rely on even a good dealership

a contradiction in terms, there is NO such thing as a good dealership  Grin

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/08/07 at 07:58:14

I figured valves would be the biggie. I guess I will have to splurge for the Clymer's then. I haven't a clue what tools I will need.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/08/07 at 09:04:01

You left out the real biggie, checking the torque on the head bolts.  And that requires removal of the head cover.  Can you say PITA?

WWW   IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/08/07 at 09:41:16

Ouch. No kidding.....At least you are half way to the valves while doing the Head torque job. May as well do it all at the same time.....<sigh> another long Saturday of no riding.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/10/07 at 10:35:28

I will have to take exception to the "No Good Dealership" comment. The folks in Houston who sell the Moto Guzzi & Hyosung lines are top notch. Will you need to pay for what ya get? Yep. If you want them to be there tomorrow & be able to offer the help & support they offer, ya gotta let them make enough $$ to keep the doors open. Are there more unscrupulous, price gouging, low quality & incompetent types than good ones? OHH please, we all know that answer.
The No Brand shop I use locally is owned by a man who actually cares about his customers. I have hung out with him & I see how he thinks & how he makes decisions. It's not all about the $$. Sometimes he bites the bullet & just makes sure the customer is satisfied, even if he loses a few bucks.

These places are rare. When I find one I try to spend my money with them & avoid business owners who dont share their high standards. Good luck finding a place to frequent. I went in every shop in Longview & this was the LAST one in town.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #7 - 06/10/07 at 23:21:49

I had my 600 mile check done at the dealership I bought my 06 S40 at, and they went through it completly.  They said they did a minor adjustment on my valves and checked everything else.
As far as being a good dealership, they are very good.  It is Suzuki City in Biloxi Mississippi.  Sure it is a little pricy to have work done, but they have never done me wrong.  In fact they have done a few things for me that would have normally have a charge to it, and they did it free.
These guys may be rare, but they are honest.   Smiley

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/11/07 at 18:42:27

I have over 15,000 on mine. Never messed with the head bolts. Was gonna, but forgot while I had the cam out. Wasnt going back.

Customers get treated differently, too. Go in with a crap attitude?  Bad idea. I guess I get treated well about everywhere. Where I don't, I dont go back. The Suzuki dealer in Longview need not worry about the day I walk in there. I have no plans to darken their door. There are a couple other places here I dont bother with.
 Another thing to consider when we are discussing motorcycle riders & dealer being nice. Call me sexist, but I suspect some folks treat a woman rider extra special. Fine with me. They can give them half off as far as I am concerned. But, I do think they get treated better. I would most likely do the same if I owned a shop. I DONT own a shop, & I go out of my way to help women anyway. Heck, I'll even help a guy if he looks like he's in a bind. He better NOT have the wrong bumper sticker on his car, tho. AWW, heck, Ill stop & see if he has any regrets. If he does, Ill help him scrape the sticker off & THEN I'll help him.. YEA! That's the tikkitt!( If it won't scrape off, maybe he will let me burn the car from under it?)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:41:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 800 Mile Service?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.