Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear wheel (Read 5 times)
Gnu
Ex Member

Rear wheel
06/07/07 at 15:39:50

Howdy

I went out to spend some time on my bike this afternoon, and the rear tire had a leak!  Its fast enough of a leak that I can't ride it into the shop, so I have to remove the wheel..

I removed the two tensioners on either side, the bolt, etc, and went to try to remove the wheel, but the belt really doesn't want to get out of the way.  It took a lot of work but I eventually got it off the pully, but now its in the way to keep me from getting the wheel off (the guard on top wont let it get out of the way enough.)

Is there any trick to get the belt off?  I looked in the manual, and it just tells you to remove it, it doesn't tell you how.. Sad

Thanks

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Rear wheel
Reply #1 - 06/08/07 at 05:50:42

bike is lifted? and you're attempting to drop the wheel down and forward? the pully guard shouldn't be an issue  ???

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 06/08/07 at 08:21:09

Been a while, but I think I get the brake assembly out first then tilt the wheel over so the pulley will drop out of the way. I use an old scissors jack under the muffler bracket to lift the bike. Need a front wheel holding fixture like Greg 650 describes to keep it straight up and down and from fallng over. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 06/08/07 at 08:26:34

If I remember correctly, you need to leave the belt on the pulley.  

If you remove the brake drum spacer, disengage the brake drum from the swingarm, and then remove the brake drum from the wheel, you can then disengage the pulley from the wheel and roll it right out.

You also disconnected the brake cable, right?

IP Logged
Gnu
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/08/07 at 09:22:26

Yep, I got it out of there, I made a pretty stupid mistake.  I'm used to bicycle wheels, where there's a C groove that the axle slides into, once I realized that that wasn't how this axle was, I realized I had to remove the axle itself, and the rest was a snap.  Doh!

Is there anything I need to be careful with to make sure that I put it back on straight and not end up causing trouble with the belt?  Sorry to ask so many questions, the manual for the bike has instructions for these things, but they're written very, very poorly.. Sad

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 06/08/07 at 09:46:01

That's funny.  A new one.

Just make sure you get the spacers back in correctly, line up the marks equally on each side, and you're good to go.

Oh yeah, make sure the marks on the adjusters are facing out when you slide the axle through...you can end up with them on the inside and that's a bummer.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 06/08/07 at 11:31:55

"I removed the two tensioners on either side, the bolt, etc". Good old Assume, I interpeted bolt to = axle so didn't remind him about that. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Gnu
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/08/07 at 17:54:25

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
That's funny.  A new one.

Just make sure you get the spacers back in correctly, line up the marks equally on each side, and you're good to go.

Oh yeah, make sure the marks on the adjusters are facing out when you slide the axle through...you can end up with them on the inside and that's a bummer.

Yikes, yep, I ended up with them on the inside, it wasn't very fun.  I just used a caliper to make sure i had them both extended the same amount, and that seemed to work out, though.  I won't make that mistake again.. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:34:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear wheel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.