Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starter motor stuck (Read 77 times)
Pete K
Ex Member

Starter motor stuck
06/06/07 at 08:07:40

Yikes! This is freaking me out...

I just took my Savage out of prolonged storage and naturally the battery was dead. In fact, the battery is completely shot, so I have a new one on order. But now I have a new problem.

While jump-starting the bike off my truck, the starter motor became stuck -- the darn thing just keeps running! Naturally, I immediately disconnected the jumper cable and it stopped. It would probably have burned out before I could have gotten it stopped if I had had a good battery, because nothing else would stop it. Not the kill switch, and not the ignition key. It just keeps grinding away. I tried it again a couple of times, and each time I connect the jumpers, it tries to start immediately.

What should I look for? A stuck solenoid? I am pretty sure I can rule out the starter switch since it operates even with the ignition key off.

How to diagnose / fix this? I appreciate any help or advice any of you might have for me!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Starter motor stuck
Reply #1 - 06/06/07 at 08:17:51

Almost has to be the starter relay (solenoid).

Pull one wire off the starter and check for continuity across the relay.  Should show open.
If it shows shorted, relay is bad.  Try smacking it with something a few times to see if it will free up.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 06/06/07 at 09:06:35

Could also be a short in the starter button, maybe spider nest? Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pete K
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/06/07 at 09:19:05

youzguyz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:

Pull one wire off the starter and check for continuity across the relay.  Should show open.
If it shows shorted, relay is bad.  Try smacking it with something a few times to see if it will free up.

Thanks, I'll try that this evening!

IP Logged
Pete K
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/06/07 at 09:21:25

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Could also be a short in the starter button, maybe spider nest? Max

Actually, I did take the switch housing apart and checked that. But then I realized that is couldn't be in the starter button, because even if that is closed, the starter shouldn't operate with the key off.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 06/06/07 at 10:04:30

Missed that point. Thanks Max

IP Logged
Pete K
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/07/07 at 16:58:04

I think I might need a little more help please. I don't know much about motorcycle repair and I can't find that darned Clymer at the moment...

Okay, I only see one wire attached to the starter and it has a rubber boot over it -- it looks like a hot wire to me. With the wire still connected to the starter, there is zero resistance to ground. With the wire disconnected from the starter, there is infinite resistance between the wire and ground. I don't know what this means because I don't know where the relay is located.

After all that banging around (I physically removed the starter and then reattached it) I hooked everything back up and it is still doing the same thing. As soon as I connect the jumper wire, the starter starts turning.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 06/07/07 at 19:20:41

Your Ohmmeter test is correct. A starter is essentially a controlled short to ground. As soon as the armature starts turning it also generates CEMF (Counter ElectroMotive Force) or voltage which control the current flow and the speed. That is why a slow turning starter motor draws more amps than one running the with the correct votlage and speed.  The wire from the starter goes to a magnetic switch (big relay like on a Ford or Jeep fender) that goes to the batter with a similiar sized wire. There is then a smaller control wire that runs from the key, RH emergency off switch, and is also connected to the clutch lever Switch, kickstand sw and neutral light. As I recollect it is under the gas tank. either one of the wires the controsl this is shorted to power, thus feeding it voltage/current all the time or the points are stuck together in the relay. I'd bet on the later unless you had a mouse visitor over the winter under the seat/tank area building a home. The idea of tapping on the relay is good and see if it disconnects and then works properly. Don't replace until you verify that really is the problem and not the shorted wire which will make the new one do the same thing. Max

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #8 - 06/08/07 at 01:20:21

Max's post will put you on the right track.
One thing, however, the relay is under the seat and attached to the rear fender and a PITA to remove. Pry the rubber protector off and do your measurements in situ.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/08/07 at 01:31:38

Pete K wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Okay, I only see one wire attached to the starter and it has a rubber boot over it -- it looks like a hot wire to me.
I don't know what this means because I don't know where the relay is located.

I have never gone looking for that relay myself, so I am not sure exactly where it is either, but it shouldn't be hard to trace it down.
Go to the other end of that one "hot" wire.  It is attached to the starter relay.  Here is a picture of it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Suzuki-LS-650-LS650-Savage-Starter-Relay-...

You should check for a short across the two big connectors on the relay after removing one of the wires.
If there is a short, (like Max says) "tap" on the relay and check again.  If still shorted, I say give a good rap.   If still shorted, I would say it's bad.
Even if the short goes away, BE CAREFUL!  It may stick again as soon as you try to use it!

If there wasn't a short across the relay, then the relay is not the problem.  Max gave a lot of info on the relay control.  That and a wiring diagram should help you figure it out.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 06/08/07 at 01:33:45

As I was busily typing away, Kropatchek found your relay.   Cheesy
Good luck!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 06/08/07 at 04:56:38

As I was busily typing away, Kropatchek found your relay.   Cheesy
Good luck!

Did he loose it? Grin Grin Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pete K
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/08/07 at 07:01:32

Hey guys, thanks for all the helpful info! I will be hunting down that relay Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

IP Logged
Pete K
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/21/07 at 07:57:05

Thanks again to all who offered help. I finally got that darned relay removed (had to buy a right angle socket wrench to get at the bolts). It tested fine, so I reconnected everything and it worked. Now I have it all back together and so far, it hasn't stuck again. Hopefully that was just a one-time freakish thing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 12:43:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter motor stuck

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.