Send Topic Print
Header Pipe Brown.. (Read 10 times)
csparks300
YaBB Newbies

Give me the open
road anyday..

Header Pipe Brown..
06/06/07 at 07:51:01

As I have been riding my bike (stock) I've noticed that the top of the header pipe was starting to turn brown. My guess was that the bike was getting to hot from running to Lean or a gasket leak at the pipe.
So I have recently put on a SE muffler (which sounds great by the way) and put in a 152.5 and adjusted the idle, I left the stock air filter so that I don't put it back into a Lean condition and left the white spacer and the bike runs great..

Ok, so to get to my question...I've noticed the SE muffler is starting to turn a little brown in the middle of the pipe. Am I still running lean and hot or am I way off the mark here? Thanks....

SE muff,152.5 jet, Stock Filter, and more to come..
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Header Pipe Brown..
Reply #1 - 06/06/07 at 09:45:33

Only changing the main jet, only changed the mixture in the upper half of the throttle range.  With the stock spacer and pilot jet, the mix could still be lean (or leaner) down in the lower throttle range.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 06/06/07 at 10:17:27

Yup, the spacer probably needs to be shaved.  That would enrich the midrange.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
csparks300
YaBB Newbies

Give me the open
road anyday..

Reply #3 - 06/06/07 at 11:34:55

I see..well I'll shave the spacer then and see how she acts. I choose not to because after I changed the pipe I didn't have any backfire and it ran strong.

Thanks for the info guys.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 06/06/07 at 11:43:37

What year is your bike?  I think the 86/87 models had needles with multiple notches and you wouldn't need to shave the spacer.  If it's a later model, then shaving (or replacing with a similar, but thinner, spacer) is in order.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
csparks300
YaBB Newbies

Give me the open
road anyday..

Reply #5 - 06/06/07 at 12:07:05

it's a 99, so it has the spacer...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 06/06/07 at 12:46:01

The older ones have the spacer too.  It's just that the newer ones don't have adjustable needles - along with a few other changes.

tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #7 - 06/06/07 at 13:02:56

i have never noticed that my needle was "adjustable."  my bike was built 04-1986.  Where's everyone seen "adjustments" on the needle?

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 06/06/07 at 13:28:50

In the stock needle on my 98, there is a single slot with the clip inserted into it.  The DynoJet needle has something like 6 or 7 slots, enabling you to move the clip up or down on the needle.  I've seen others post on this site that their 8x model had 3 slots for the clip.

tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #9 - 06/06/07 at 13:37:06

holy crap.  I'm gonna have to tear my carb out and take a look.  I'm 99% sure I would've noticed that, because I looked for it.  I'll have to look to be sure, though

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 06/06/07 at 13:55:43

If I remember correctly, my '96 has 3 slots.

WWW   IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Reply #11 - 06/07/07 at 05:12:46

Hey csparks300

instead of shaving the spacer, go to your local hardware store and get you a couple #4 vinyl washers. they're the same size, only thinner. I think I only used one washer and it halved the thickness of the spacer. that way you still have the spacer if it doesn't work out and you need to replace it

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 06/07/07 at 05:27:50

Five_Points wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Hey csparks300

instead of shaving the spacer, go to your local hardware store and get you a couple #4 vinyl washers. they're the same size, only thinner. I think I only used one washer and it halved the thickness of the spacer. that way you still have the spacer if it doesn't work out and you need to replace it

Just be sure they're petroleum resistant or you'll have melting washers crapping up your carb.

csparks300
YaBB Newbies

Give me the open
road anyday..

Reply #13 - 06/07/07 at 06:01:39

I like the idea of the #4 washers ( Thanks Five_Points)as long as there petroleum resistant (Thanks Rob.) While I'm at it I'll be changing those softy screws with Allen heads..i think they have one takeout left in them.

Well I took the bike out last night and gave the new pipe some breakin time...I could def. tell is was still lean on the bottom end, but the Top end is very nice..With a buddy last night I gave it a little WFO and I was actually keeping up, when I looked down I hitting 98mph..my buddy confirmed it, he was shocked...same here.

Thanks guys....for the help.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 06/07/07 at 06:52:59

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
What year is your bike?  I think the 86/87 models had needles with multiple notches and you wouldn't need to shave the spacer.  If it's a later model, then shaving (or replacing with a similar, but thinner, spacer) is in order.

You're right about the needle, but just a footnote on this one....

The reason that the idea was developed (~5 years ago) to increase the main jet to a larger size, is because the '86/'87 models used a 155 anyway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:25:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Header Pipe Brown..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.