Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bobbing my savage or getting another (Read 13 times)
SavageRichie
YaBB Newbies

The Devil Rides Out

Albuquerque, New Mexico
bobbing my savage or getting another
06/05/07 at 22:08:29

team,

have an interest in bobbing the savage or getting a 2nd savage to bob, any year.  eitherway, interested in using the stock seat, disregarding the pillion, replacing the turn signals with small bullet chrome units, replacing the front and rear stock fenders with either black or chrome (preferred) bob fenders like the savage owner did on his red bike in gallery pix 109-120 page.  will also need a smaller tail light and plate, maybe skull type to keep with bikes current theme. also need fork gaiters, lets go all out

any ideas or suggestions plus best place that has these parts is greatly appreciated. I do not want to cut the stock fenders, not great with blow torch and repaint, easier to buy nice chromed units

thanks

ride forever

richie

99 Black Savage Bobber, steel forged by Suzuki, developed in Hell. Sinister, evil, and fathered by the devil.

99 Savage Bobber
73 Yamaha RD350 Cafe Racer
76 Suzuki TC100
82 Honda MB5
76 Z50 w
metrosrule3   IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Re: bobbing my savage or getting another
Reply #1 - 06/05/07 at 22:26:56

SavageRichie wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
team,

have an interest in bobbing the savage or getting a 2nd savage to bob, any year.  eitherway, interested in using the stock seat, disregarding the pillion, replacing the turn signals with small bullet chrome units, replacing the front and rear stock fenders with either black or chrome (preferred) bob fenders like the savage owner did on his red bike in gallery pix 109-120 page.  will also need a smaller tail light and plate, maybe skull type to keep with bikes current theme. also need fork gaiters, lets go all out

any ideas or suggestions plus best place that has these parts is greatly appreciated. I do not want to cut the stock fenders, not great with blow torch and repaint, easier to buy nice chromed units

thanks

ride forever

richie

Go stock seat, remove the green foam and re-upholster with something neat.

Who needs turn signals?  I always forgot to turn mine off anyway.  People never look at em, but they see my arm out there.  

Gaiters are Daystar 234 series.  Lotsa colors, available everywhere online.

Rear fender needs to be 7-7.25"  Front fender needs to be gone, or just lightened up a bit.  I recommend looking for a front fender for a Savage on Ebay and chopping it up with an angle grinder.  

Rattle-can your paint job.  I HIGHLY recommend this.  You ruin a $200 paint job, you have a bad week.  You ruin a $3.49 paint job, you have options.  All the good old outlaws used rattle-can anyway.  Who wants Captain America?  pfft.
Also, if you use rattle-can, you can tell people you did it yourself.  

Sometime I need to make a "How-to Paint Your Bike Shiny With Krylon."  Basically, pick a color you like in the spray paint aisle, and get some Dupli-Color Automotive Clear Coat.  

Remove parts and sand the paint to roughen it, clean it with Mineral Spirits.  Tape off holes.  Stack some bricks up, or get an old mop handle stuck in the backyard and put the tank on it, along with tins.  Do four to six light coats for coverage.  Sand and wipe.  Tape off your design or whatever.  Go to a sign shop and have some graphics cut on vinyl, use that.  Whatever.  Do your secondary color, fade it, whatever.  

Use a kid's model paint sprayer loaded with 80-20 Krylon/Thinner to do drop shadows or whatever.  
Sand and wipe.  Duplicolor automotive, 1 coat.  Sand, wipe.  2 coats.  Sand, wipe.  3 coats.  Sand lightly with 600, 800, 1000.  Buff, Polish.  Done.  I really wish I had some of the computer cases I've done photographed.  One good thing to do is use the oven at 200 if the wife will let you.  You can use a cookie sheet with bricks to hold the tank up.

Tail light mount you can do yourself, too.  Get 1/16th steel, angle grind into a square with a ">" shaped tab.  Drill holes for a Lucas tail light, license plate, and axle bolt.  Bend the ">" (which is the axle mount) over to 90 degrees in a bench vise and put it on the bike.  When it gets stolen, you're only out like 20 dollars, instead of 80.

PS  Sometime I'll paint Glenn up nice just so I can put up a How-To.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 06/06/07 at 05:26:05

on the paint, shake the F out of it first, and spray some away as waste.  shake it up more and waste more.  the idea is to get the whole can the same temperature.  also, do the painting nice and even with no stops.  regular colors need to have about an inch of overlap.

a chunck of angle iron will work for the 90 deg. LP tab.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 06/06/07 at 05:49:03

SavageRichie wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
team,

have an interest in bobbing the savage or getting a 2nd savage to bob, any year. ...
Get a second bike -- you can continue to ride while one is disassembled for servicing.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 06/06/07 at 05:54:50

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Get a second bike -- you can continue to ride while one is disassembled for servicing.

one to ride, one to wrench...  Grin

oh, and  I love the "team"

paladin, when we gettin more cool pics from you?

oh, and check out this thread.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #5 - 06/06/07 at 06:35:59

Glad you mentioned the wasting, V.  I just assume people know stuff like that, or forget to mention it.

I wish I had two or three bikes so I didn't have to schedule Glenn's maintenance so carefully.  If it's going to keep me off the bike, I usually put it off for a week or two.

If you can live without your bike for a month, go ahead and bob it.  Otherwise, buy one to bob.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 06/06/07 at 06:47:42

yep.  now that's supposed to get the paint all cold?  I've even ran it under the kitchen sink... but I can't remember if it was hot or cold...  I shoulda posted a pic of yr bike Glen in that other thread...

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #7 - 06/06/07 at 07:15:03

which thread was that?  guy wanting to rake out and lower his bike?

86 Savage
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 06/06/07 at 07:28:44

yep

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #9 - 06/06/07 at 07:49:16

mine's not done enough to fit in with those bikes.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 06/06/07 at 10:53:39

looks good enough to me

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #11 - 06/06/07 at 11:59:14

Yea vroom posted my bike when in was a fugly mess. im sure Glen could not be worse than mine.

97 savage: BOBJOB
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #12 - 06/06/07 at 12:15:15

See, we all feel that way, at least.  I look at Glenn and see everything that I have left to do.  You guys just see what I've done.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:19:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bobbing my savage or getting another

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.