Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battery troubles (Read 3 times)
Pete K
Ex Member

Battery troubles
06/05/07 at 06:56:26

Greetings! I bought my '87 Savage a few years ago and after a few months, I didn't do much riding. Now I have the itch to get her out and hit the highway again. A few months before I parked the bike (in the fall of '05) I installed a brand new sealed battery. Of course, when I got the bike out the other day, the battery was totally dead. (Yes, I knew better but I did leave the battery in the bike in a cold shed for two consecutive winters!)

Now, the battery refuses to take a charge. I have one of those chargers that detects the state of the battery and this one thinks the battery is fully charged even though it is not. I read somewhere to "trick" the charger by momentarily connecting another battery in series to get it charging. When I do that, the charging light does come on, but goes out as soon as I remove the good battery. I even borrowed a "dumb" trickle charger and left it connected overnight, but still the battery took no charge at all.

Does it sound like I ruined my new battery? Any way to absolutely confirm this before I plunk down another $60 for a new one? Everything I have found to revive a battery applies to non-sealed batteries.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Battery troubles
Reply #1 - 06/05/07 at 07:19:23

Take the battery by Sears or Autozone.  All the locations near me test batteries for free.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pete K
Ex Member

Re: Battery troubles
Reply #2 - 06/06/07 at 08:00:25

Thanks for the reply. The battery is indeed bad, so I have a new one ordered.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 01:24:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery troubles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.