Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Considering a Savage (Read 10 times)
pgman

Central Florida
Re: Considering a Savage
Reply #15 - 06/05/07 at 19:37:06

Well - it was a bust.  The bike is more than a little rough and it needs new front brakes, a new back tire (the side walls are thoroughly cracked dry-rotted) and the paint is chipped and faded.  Also, the NEUTRAL lamp doesn't work and neither does the SIDE STAND lamp.  It is obvious that this bike has been left outside a lot too, because the plastic around the speedo shows clear signs of UV deterioration and the chrome is moderately pitted in several places.  On the bright side, it did start right up and idled like a little sewing machine.  I took it for a short ride and it had a suprising amount of grunt.  It has ten-thousand miles on it, but I would say the bike has been nothing more than a commuter appliance most of its life.  It is obvious to me that no one ever really cared for it properly and so I had to pass on this one.

To say the wife was disappointed would be an understatement - to say I was annoyed would fit that description also.  I don't know why someone would describe this bike as "excellent" when it so clearly is not.  I guess I was giving him too much credit.  I just know that I couldn't sleep if I sold that bike for more than $500 (which I might have paid).  As it is - I had to walk away.  The misses is bumbed, but I told her I would find her a Savage - and I will.  In fact, it will be my obsession now!   Grin

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #16 - 06/05/07 at 20:36:47

Roger That.
Happy Hunting.
BTW, You haven't been looking for them so look around some the one you want will come around. No not soon enough for the misses. Right now your the practical one (smart). She will appreciate the wait when she has the one she really wants.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/05/07 at 20:46:42

Try Craig's List . That's where I found my 2005 w/450 miles Bags and Wind shield for $2500. There are deals out there. Patience will probably lead you to them. Bummer that the wife is depressed. Just try and tell her how happy She will be with a better shaped and "Shinier" bike. She can spend more time riding and less repairing. As far as spending more for a newer bike. Repairs can add up. Maybe newer is not so much of a waste after all. Good luck.

IP Logged
wrongwayair

central Il
Reply #18 - 06/06/07 at 15:14:24

Did you check out the Marketplace section?  I think I saw a topic requesting Savages for sale in FL.  I bought my 2002 (mostly stock) w/less than 11,000 miles on it for $2200.00 here in central IL.  There was another 2002 available locally for $2500 that had a windshield & saddlebags with a bit higher mileage on it.  I'm happy with the deal I found, so keep searching your lady will love it!

Incidentally I learned to ride on a Rebel in the MSF course, I find the Savage to be a better fit & way more comfortable.

Indecision may or may not be my problem .... Jimmy Buffett
  IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #19 - 06/06/07 at 18:18:09

Craig's List - yeah.  That is where this one was.  I really should have known better when there was no picture.  I spent two hours driving to go see the thing but at least I got some quality time with my bride - that was worth it.

IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 06/06/07 at 18:19:22

PGMan - phone the guy in 2 weeks and offer him 500 bucks. What you are describing is all cosmetics - and easily repaired/replaced shined polished and cleaned up.

I have a 1989 that I bought in 1999 for $1500 = best motorcycle money I ever spent -

So sorry the wife is disappointed - but it is likely the right bike for her - wait the two weeks and give it a shot - nothing ventured nothing gained

IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #21 - 06/06/07 at 18:51:19

I thought about doing this but the guy was just kind of a dork and I don't want to waste any more of my time with him.  I think maybe I am being too cheap, that is all.  Maybe I just have to spend a little more to get the "right" bike.  Today I saw a 2003 with 3000 miles on it at the nearest Suzuki dealer (the one I mentioned earlier in the thread).  They are asking $3100 for it.  Do you all think this would be a better deal?  I am thinking I might be able to talk them down to $2900 or so - THAT would probably be a much smarter purchase.  The trouble I am having with this is that I just bought a 2001 Marauder with fairly low miles for $3000, and it has almost $700 worth of exhaust and carb mods on it.  In my mind, I should be able to get a Savage for less than that (although I know it doesn't always work that way).  I am going to call and put a deposit (hold) on it so I can go look at it on Friday.  I'll bet it looks a lot better!  Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 06/06/07 at 19:28:29

I gave a deposit once for a car, that was a big mistake.  Took me a month to get it back.  I gave him a check and he said he wouldn't cash it.  The next day I called and told him I had a better deal send me my check.  Oh we cashed it.

Besides, the last thing you want to do is look excited.  Like posted above, go in, look around, be totally dissatisfied with what's there (wrong color, too big, too small, wrong tires, terrible chrome) make him an offer way too low and walk out.  Call in a week or 2 and see if it's still there.  Meantime, tell the wife to get in back and stop screaming.   Grin

I did this once cause I wasn't ready to buy a car, still shopping.  They said ok to my lowest offer cause I was walking.  I still wish I'd found out what their next pitch was.

The moral to this story is... as long as you have the money, you have the advantage.  Give them even a little bit, and they got you.  And don't give them your license either!  For some reason, they like to hold it while they're talking to you.

WWW   IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #23 - 06/06/07 at 20:30:01

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
The moral to this story is... as long as you have the money, you have the advantage.  Give them even a little bit, and they got you.  And don't give them your license either!  For some reason, they like to hold it while they're talking to you.

They want you on their Christmas Card List. They're like that, ya know.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #24 - 06/10/07 at 18:41:09

Well, I found the perfect ride for the Mrs.  It is a 2003 and it has 2800 miles on it.  It had its first "normal" oil change early (right before I bought it) and all the original service records were intact (break-in oil change, adjustments, etc.).  She took a ride on it and immediately said she loved it.  I think this was probably the best thing to do - all the older ones I looked at were pretty well worn.  I am trying to get a tachometer for it, though.  The thing is so quiet that she can't always tell what gear she is in.  I also mentioned that there are options for exhaust but she doesn't want a loud bike so the tach is probably the best option.

I must admit that this bike is a blast to ride.  My Marauder definitely has more attitude and sound effects but the Savage just quietly goes about its business - and quickly.  I found myself laughing out loud as I twisted the throttle full bore in second gear (from around 15 MPH) - this thing just takes off - whomp, whomp, whomp!  It is definitely an awesome choice for people of smaller stature, and those that are not comfortable on a heavier cruiser.  It is amazing that, though the seat height on my Marauder is actually a tiny bit LOWER than the Savage, the width of the frame and the weight balance made all the difference to her.  She is thrilled (and so am I)!  Thank you, everyone for your help and suggestions.  I wil be around.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 06/10/07 at 21:38:53

Well done, you are a wise man.  The personal equity you just made on the home front is priceless.  A happy wife makes for a wonderful life.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #26 - 06/10/07 at 21:58:24

Noticed several tachs on eBay in the savage section, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #27 - 06/11/07 at 05:08:56

I got a tach on e-bay - thanks for that heads-up, Max.  Yes, the misses is thrilled and that makes me happy.  To be fair (and un-selfish) - while I agree that a happy wife makes a happy home I think the real point is that a wife who is alive makes for a much happier home than one who is not so alive.  I seriously was worried about her riding a heavy cruiser from the beginning.  She was so determined to start riding that I think she would have eventually tried it on the Marauder again (she can be VERY stubborn sometimes) and, though I think she may have been able to do it at some point, I am MUCH less worried about her now - even though it cost me an extra $1500.  To me, the (relative) piece of mind is worth every penny.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 06/11/07 at 05:17:32

Yep, absolutely correct on all points. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 06/11/07 at 11:04:09

I dont know how you folks dress to ride, but for now, since I cant afford a nice airy textile jacket & riding pants I am wearing the leather chaps everyone laughs at for being exposed in the rear & a winter jacket, leather, lined & insulated. Hotter than the dickens BUT, I did fall & got no injuries, & I was going all of 10 MPH, but I was gonna go to town today without that stuff & felt so uncomfortable being so vulnerabe I came back & got dressed. I want & need better stuff, but till the kid gets hers I am stuck with what I have, since she has nothing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:55:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Considering a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.