Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Considering a Savage (Read 10 times)
pgman

Central Florida
Considering a Savage
06/04/07 at 19:38:15

Hi, everyone.  New guy here.  I am going to look at an 86 Savage tomorrow (Tuesday).  I have the guy talked down to $1000 and he says it is in perfect condition with very low miles.  I am not sure if this is the best idea, but my wife really likes this bike - the way it fits her small frame.  I just bought a VZ800 Marauder for us to share, but she can't handle it - it is just too tall and too heavy.  She told me she could handle it but then it almost fell on her and she won't get back on it again.  So, we went to look at Honda Rebels and VZ250s, etc.  We found an '02 Savage on the lot at a Honda shop the other day and she fell in love with it (not that particular bike, but the model).  It feels really good to her and I thought it was probably the coolest thing I've seen in a long time (a one lunger - a big one lunger!)  I think my jaw dropped when I found out it was a 650!!

My question is this - if this bike is in as good a condition as the seller says, is $1000 a reasonable price for a 20 year-old Savage?  Also, being the first year, should I stay away from it or was it okay out of the gate?  Are there any things I need to watch out for on an early Savage in particular.  I know the tires and the belt might be bad from age, but are there other things specific to the engine, brakes or electrical and such?  I read about some "kick-back" problem on some earlier model years.  This, I assume has to do with the large displacement single.  How do I know if this bike has that problem and is there a fix for it (it sounds serious).

This is a very interesting motorcycle (mechanically) to me and my wife is wild about it because it doesn't feel like a toy (as she described the 250s we looked at) but she can still toss it around.  I just don't want to buy something that is going to be a love-hate thing (I love it because it is different and a little odd - I hate it because it is unusual and has unusual problems).  I am guessing that, because it has been in production for so long, it must be pretty bulletproof (that, and the fact that there is an entire web site dedicated to it).  It seems that everyone who understands the Savage / S40 loves them.  I am guessing that this is not because they break down every week.

Any advice or comments would be very welcome.  I know there is not much time - I have to make this decision tomorrow evening.  Thanks in advance for your time and sorry about the long post.  I may soon be a Savage owner so I will probably be in here a lot!  Grin

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Considering a Savage
Reply #1 - 06/04/07 at 19:58:59

I suggest that you buy the '02 Savage.  

I don't think that you'll be completely happy with the '86...especially if he says that it is in "perfect condition".  

Honestly, unless it's been hermetically sealed in a time capsule with the fuel system drained and fresh oil, it probably ain't in perfect shape.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #2 - 06/04/07 at 19:59:06

I got probably the best deal around on a Savage.  If the 86 runs, I'd offer him 700 and pay him around 800.  

I got mine, non-running, for 300.  But that was from a friend.

1986 model runs rich.  You're going to want to rejet the carburetor down on the main(even with a freer exhaust), and adjust the idle air screw richer(left) by about a half-turn.  When you rejet the carb, buy some M6 Allen bolts and replace the Phillips bolts top and bottom.  

Take a good look at the shock bolts and front forks.  Check for fork seal leakage and anything that looks like a weakening shock bolt.  

Check for oil on the low outsides of the crank case, around the oil inspection glass and also on the other side.  

Oh yeah, if you like to wrench, like I do, buy the 86.  My rear shock bolt sheared off with a light pressure from a torque wrench.  Trying to tune that rich running carb is a headache, etc.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #3 - 06/04/07 at 20:18:09

Thank you for the quick responses.  Unfortunately, the 02 is not an option because it is a disaster.  I have never seen a bike so abused, neglected and worn out - especially one that is not that old.  I wouldn't pay 400 dollars for it.  It is a parts bike - it really is that bad.  The only reason we even looked at it was to see how it fit the misses.  I am a little concerned about buying the older one, and I still think that he wants too much money for it, but sometimes it is worth it to keep things happy at home, if you know what I mean.  If she likes this 86 and it really is in excellent shape - well, who knows.  I have been looking for Savages and I can't seem to find any for less than $2500 (even later eighties models) and I just don't have that kind of dough right now because I just bought the Marauder.  I am trying to find something she can ride because she is bummed about the Marauder and I want to cheer her up.  I am not afraid to turn a wrench and I have all the tools, so keeping an older bike running is not something that worries me.  I just want to make sure that I am not buying a boat load of design flaws that can never be right.  I get the impression that the earlier Savages had a few notable design elements that were questionable, but that they can be overcome with some retrofitting from a newer model.  I figure I can scour these pages to see what fits from later years as I go.  Of course, the whole thing may fall through.  I haven't actually seen this bike yet and he may be delusional - it may be a heap like the 02 we just saw.

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #4 - 06/04/07 at 20:20:32

She's a keeper, she has good taste. Yes, your wife. Seems the decision has already been made. I do understand your reservations. I have a 02 and those that own the 86 models will be able to give you first hand info on their bikes.
This is a bulletproof, reliable, and very forgiving cycle that has held it's place as a lightweight cruiser for many years. As with any equipment it needs proper maintenance; you seem ahead of the game in that department. I'm sure you can tell a good ride when you see it. And when running properly it will give you miles of enjoyment. Considering she likes it and is willing to learn to ride it, with respect, because it's a One Cyl. with a lot of smack. So much for my sales pitch... If it is a good buy, you will keep it for years or have a blast outgrowing it. It happens sometimes.
Good Luck, and hope to see ya around.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #5 - 06/04/07 at 20:32:26

Its the one-cylinder, air-cooled design that attracts me (but frightened me a little at first).  I am not ASE certified mechanic, but I've changed my own transmissions before and I know how to tear an engine down if I have to.  This (not so) little one-puffer seems like it would be easy enough to work on (there's a heck of alot more room to turn wrenches than on my Marauder) and simple enough to troubleshoot (only one carb, only one ignition coil, etc.  I just figure that if it is a decent buy that I won't mind fixing it up a little bit here and there.  She WILL ride it - that is the main thing.  I couldn't get her back on the Marauder to save my life because she is afraid of it.  That is no fun.  As long as I can get parts (which I would think I could on a model that has been in production for so long) I can keep her running indefinitely.

By the way, what is involved if the forks are leaking (or the crank case)?

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #6 - 06/04/07 at 21:08:51

We have a fix for that. Cruise the Tech pages, they cover those two topics very well. Bet you'll come out with more questions than you went in with. Just kiddin.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 06/04/07 at 22:39:22

pgman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Thank you for the quick responses.  Unfortunately, the 02 is not an option because it is a disaster.  I have never seen a bike so abused, neglected and worn out - especially one that is not that old.  I wouldn't pay 400 dollars for it.  It is a parts bike - it really is that bad.  The only reason we even looked at it was to see how it fit the misses.  I am a little concerned about buying the older one, and I still think that he wants too much money for it, but sometimes it is worth it to keep things happy at home, if you know what I mean.  If she likes this 86 and it really is in excellent shape - well, who knows.  I have been looking for Savages and I can't seem to find any for less than $2500 (even later eighties models) and I just don't have that kind of dough right now because I just bought the Marauder.  I am trying to find something she can ride because she is bummed about the Marauder and I want to cheer her up.  I am not afraid to turn a wrench and I have all the tools, so keeping an older bike running is not something that worries me.  I just want to make sure that I am not buying a boat load of design flaws that can never be right.  I get the impression that the earlier Savages had a few notable design elements that were questionable, but that they can be overcome with some retrofitting from a newer model.  I figure I can scour these pages to see what fits from later years as I go.  Of course, the whole thing may fall through.  I haven't actually seen this bike yet and he may be delusional - it may be a heap like the 02 we just saw.

A disaster?

Oh well.  Must have been a forum member that left Tongue

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 06/05/07 at 03:03:45

$1000 does seem a little high for an '86 but if this bike is in good running order and everything does in fact work on it then show the seller $850-900 in cash and take it home.
The seller claims it is in perfect condition so everything on the bike should be working, it should ride and run very well, without any hickups or burps.  If so, I would get it.
You did take it for a test ride, yes?  How did it feel to you?

IP Logged
jotrac

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #9 - 06/05/07 at 03:44:11

From a woman newbie rider:

If you try it out and it runs well, $ 1,000 is not too much to pay for a bike that gives your wife confidence and gets her riding.

A 2000 Savage is my first bike.  I paid $ 2,000 for it.   It had 12,800 miles on it when I bought it April 2006 and now has 18,400.

Tell her to go slow letting out the clutch and easy on the throttle because it will rip!

IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #10 - 06/05/07 at 05:07:03

Thank you all, again for your input.  My intent is to take 1000 cash with me and then try what LANCER said.  The seller was asking $1200 and I already talked him down to 1K - even before showing up to look at it.  It is a 90 minute drive to where it is and I didn't want to waste anyone's time (I was never going to pay $1200 for a 20 year old Savage - sorry).  I have not ridden the bike yet (I haven't even seen it).  This seller may be completely off his rocker and the bike may be a beater for all I know.  At this point I am taking him at his word.  If I see ANYTHING wrong with it, then we start re-negotiating the selling price.  To that end, I am grateful to those who've pointed out the most common potential trouble spots on this bike.

One of the things I found (after I bought my Marauder) was that the rear brake would not activate the brake light.  I found that the rear brake light cable had frozen.  Since I fixed it myself, the parts were the only cost to me (about $35), but I noticed on this 02 Savage the other day that it had the same problem.  Keep in mind, my Marauder is in excellent condition (and it is a 2001 model) so I know it was not subject to the same neglect as the Savage.  I wonder if this is a common thing on Suzukis?  Anyway, I am going to go this evening to give this 86 Savage a good inspection and the wife is going with me to test ride it.  IF I buy it, I will probably have a whole string of new questions - I am grateful to you all for giving me your opinions and insights on this model.

By the way, I did already caution my wife that the Savage will probably out-run mine (it is an 800 and it weighs about 150 pounds more).  She equates cylinder count with power.  If she ends up riding a Savage, I believe her perception will change.  8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 06/05/07 at 05:49:06

I still think the price is too high.  It should come down more.

Just remember that it is a 4 speed too.

If you're dead set on it, go for it.  It's only the spouse's bike anyway...

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #12 - 06/05/07 at 06:30:48

if it is in decent shape and hasn't been abused, i'd buy it. everything else can be fixed. $1000 for anything that is clean, runs, and has clear paper work, is pretty normal by todays standards.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #13 - 06/05/07 at 07:14:48

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I still think the price is too high.  It should come down more.

Just remember that it is a 4 speed too.

If you're dead set on it, go for it.  It's only the spouse's bike anyway...

Hey Greg, no dissing the spouse!  Wink  She is in for a fun ride and will probably zooming in front of her hubby in short order!

pgman - Tell your wife that the girls on this forum LOVE their little one-lung, and it kicks a$$!  Grin

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #14 - 06/05/07 at 13:03:12

Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) sez $950 trade in and $1450 retail,  so $1000 seems about right.

I got my 96 for $1800 year and half ago, it had 6500miles on it. Over 17,000 now. I can't stay off it - LOVE IT!

So I'd be tempted to go for it.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:07:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Considering a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.