Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Toolbox seal (Read 7 times)
Ricardo
Ex Member

Toolbox seal
06/04/07 at 16:47:12

I wonder if anyone has the address of the fellow who designed the toolbox seal, at least on the 2002.  Nah, forget it.  Alternatively (and more positively), anyone had any success with a particularly good adhesive for the tiny thing?  My seal does NOT wanna stay on.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Toolbox seal
Reply #1 - 06/04/07 at 18:34:10

I used automotive weatherstrip trim cement, but the old seal was pinched and torn badly and I had to fiddle with it when I put the new registration in there last week. Seems like there should be a better solution. Maybe take it to the bed liner shop during the off season with it prepped and taped off and let them shoot a layer of that stuff on it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 06/04/07 at 19:39:20

Ricardo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I wonder if anyone has the address of the fellow who designed the toolbox seal, at least on the 2002.  Nah, forget it.  Alternatively (and more positively), anyone had any success with a particularly good adhesive for the tiny thing?  My seal does NOT wanna stay on.

If you get the address.  Let me know.  I glued it on I don't know how many times, and finally chucked it.

What I finally realized was, "What does it seal?"  The darned box has got holes in the top anyway.

What I also learned was that when I finally got all the old glue off, it looked a lot better than having part of the seal hanging loose Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 06/04/07 at 19:40:25

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I used automotive weatherstrip trim cement, but the old seal was pinched and torn badly and I had to fiddle with it when I put the new registration in there last week. Seems like there should be a better solution. Maybe take it to the bed liner shop during the off season with it prepped and taped off and let them shoot a layer of that stuff on it. Max

I detect a humorous mood tonight Grin

IP Logged
Ricardo
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/04/07 at 20:26:38

I've decided to be happy without the seal - or that shop.  See what happens.  No chance that I'll hear a little rattle, and I doubt the "tools" will get wet.

Thanks,

(But the design is really awful.)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/04/07 at 20:44:45

That flimsy pice O crud didnt last 3 months. I ditched it, took an X-Acto & split some small tubing & stuck on it. Used duct tape inside to hold it on. It's workin Okay, but if it ever gets too annoying, I am just gonna toss it completely & go without a rubber.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/04/07 at 20:59:13

I'm thinking about getting that tank trim and put it there.  It has adhesive already.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 06/04/07 at 22:43:33

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I'm thinking about getting that tank trim and put it there.  It has adhesive already.

Might be too thick.  Take the easy option and toss it.  No sense trying to re-engineer something that's useless.  

Besides, if the Savage came without it do you think we'd be discussing a need for it?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 06/05/07 at 06:24:27

Just wipe the tools down with WD-40 before you put 'em away and don't worry about moisture.  That box isn't watertight anyway.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Woody
YaBB Newbies

Flora, Illinois
Reply #9 - 06/05/07 at 15:18:06

Buy a fork bag and throw the plastic away. It looks good without it on my bike. Cheesy Cheesy

2005 S40, dyna muffler, seat mod
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #10 - 06/05/07 at 15:50:25

This has gotta be the "thread of the month" post!!!

So far, we've got several "just toss it" and a "Red Green" style "Fix it with duct tape" answer, and a couple of other misc. answers. Keep 'em coming folks. Funny stuff! Wink

And then the one who did it like me, and used real automotive weatherstrip adhesive so it would be fixed for good.

Oh... the good stuff is 3M Weather Strip Sealant. The yellow stuff in a tube. Looks like yellow contact cement, but doesn't require mixing two parts. In the truck and auto manufacturing business it is officially known as "Gorilla Snot."  We used it for window trim in the cab area of the truck makers I worked for.

As a take-off from that suggestion, occasionally someone would forget to put the lid back on a tube that was laying on the edge of a table. That would lead to a 3-foot dried stringy glob of the stuff. Invariably some clown would shove this up their nostril and run around the shop pretending to sneeze, and then turn around where everyone could see this 3-foot yellow snot wad hanging from their nose... Ahhh... Sophomoric humor at its best... or maybe you just had to be there to appreciate it Wink

I'll assure you this: working with people like them, you never let your lunch pail out of sight!

And Tools? That's what leather tool bags are for. I'd never put anything important in that box. Though I've not lost one, I've replaced two that were lost by previous owners; and adjusted the keeper so that I shouldn't lose mine. But have you noticed that about one out of three Savages are missing that chrome cover? I bet Suzuki has made a not-so-small fortune from them. Coincidence? I think not!

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 06/05/07 at 16:12:02

as well as the side covers, that shed constantly. Somewhere, there is a savage that looks like an armadillo. Cheesy

IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #12 - 06/05/07 at 16:35:30

I took mine off and replaced it with chrome door trim from auto zone.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 06/08/07 at 19:34:29

The 3M weatherstrip adhesive works well but is difficult to work with.

I used Marine Goop on mine before it got too bad.  Has been holding for years.

Marine Goop is cheap, easy to work with, waterproof, and UV resistant.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #14 - 06/08/07 at 22:02:15

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
The 3M weatherstrip adhesive works well but is difficult to work with.

That's a fact.

Quote:
I used Marine Goop on mine before it got too bad.  Has been holding for years.

Marine Goop is cheap, easy to work with, waterproof, and UV resistant.

IHTH!

Never noticed the stuff before, but checked it out through Google. I use lots of different types of glues and sealants for different things I work on. I'm gonna have to check this stuff out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:29:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Toolbox seal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.