Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is Engine Flush Safe 4 Savage? (Read 7 times)
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Is Engine Flush Safe 4 Savage?
06/04/07 at 12:31:22

I'm finally switching from Dino Oil to full synthetic; form Pennzoil 20-50 TO Mobile 1 20-50w to be exact.

Is it SAFE to use some automotive engine flush in the savage's engine for a couple of minutes to try flush some of the 6,000 miles worth of gunk and oily residues away, or could it damage the seals or clutch or something?

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Is Engine Flush Safe 4 Savage?
Reply #1 - 06/04/07 at 12:47:20

man I sure wouldn't do it - change the filter put the synth in (vtwin by the way?)

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #2 - 06/04/07 at 13:39:00

Reelthing... are you referring to Castrol's V-Twin synthetic oil... I was doing some research on synthetics and noticed they do have a dedicated oil for the big twins... seems like that would be the logical choice over their general 4-cycle synthetic.

IP Logged
bholly12

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Starkville, MS
Reply #3 - 06/04/07 at 13:44:11

Yeah Stimpy that seems to be a lot more trouble than it is worth.  Of course I would have never thought of flushing in the first place!

-Brad

2006 Euclase Silver Metallic S40, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in, 1/2 spacer mod, 152.5 main.
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 06/04/07 at 14:32:09

PhotoProf wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Reelthing... are you referring to Castrol's V-Twin synthetic oil... I was doing some research on synthetics and noticed they do have a dedicated oil for the big twins... seems like that would be the logical choice over their general 4-cycle synthetic.

mobil 1 vtwin 20w-50 is what I use in the'95 - seems to work well - helps keep the temp down if I stuck in summer traffic

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 06/04/07 at 16:01:27

There will be plenty of deteregent additive in the oil so I'd not recommend flushing. Just change the filter with the new oil and then filter again after 500 miles or so if you think the new oil is loosening some old residue. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #6 - 06/04/07 at 17:52:14

Thanx for stopping me Wink

I'll just drain hot (not warm) & change oil + filter and stick for now with Mobile1 since I already bought 3 quarts.

Input appreciated Grin

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #7 - 06/04/07 at 17:56:17

With cars it depends on the number of miles the engine has and has the oil been changed regularly.  I've seen an engine flush break up sediment that then clogged the oil pick up tube and locked up the engine.
But hey, that is for cars.  I don't have a clue what could happen with a bike's engine.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/04/07 at 20:41:23

There will be a bit left in the top end. There is a "bathtub" the cam sits in. So, your brand new spiffy all clean oil is gonna be polluted in no time. Would it be worth it to waste a coule O quarts O cheap dino to flush the old oil out? I mean, change oil, put in cheap dino, run it for 5 minutes, change oil. Go with your synth. I dunno, just asking.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:22:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is Engine Flush Safe 4 Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.