Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New '88 Savage Owner Turn Signal Problem (Read 3 times)
tjrobin30
Ex Member

New '88 Savage Owner Turn Signal Problem
06/04/07 at 10:45:20

Hello All.  I just picked up a 1988 Savage (only 7000 miles).  Everything seems to run great on this bike and I have already gleaned a lot of GREAT information on this site.  The only problem at this point is that the turn signals are not functioning.  Both the turn indicators on the tank and the rear turn signals are not functioning at all.  Any troubleshooting suggestions?  If I added the link correctly you can see the pics I took of the wiring under the seat and of what appears to be a disconnected wire under the tank.  I am assuming this is the problem but the last thing I want to do right now is pull the tank.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/tjrobin30/88savage/

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: New '88 Savage Owner Turn Signal Problem
Reply #1 - 06/04/07 at 10:56:10

yep - looks like the turn flasher is disconneced to me - it may have a dead short and was blowing the fuse - so make sure you have some spare fuse(s) around before you hook that back up

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 06/04/07 at 19:53:13

tjrobin30 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Hello All.  I just picked up a 1988 Savage (only 7000 miles).  Everything seems to run great on this bike and I have already gleaned a lot of GREAT information on this site.  The only problem at this point is that the turn signals are not functioning.  Both the turn indicators on the tank and the rear turn signals are not functioning at all.  Any troubleshooting suggestions?  If I added the link correctly you can see the pics I took of the wiring under the seat and of what appears to be a disconnected wire under the tank.  I am assuming this is the problem but the last thing I want to do right now is pull the tank.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/tjrobin30/88savage/

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

If I could interrupt....

I really need pictures of a 1988 Savage for my CD collection (have you heard about it?).  The '88 is missing in my collection called The Savage Companion.

If you have time, shoot me a couple good ones of your bike if you could.  I assume the tank is original too, and that would be great.

2000SuzukiSavage@comcast.net

Anything would be appreciated.

As for the signals, why does that wire hang out in front of the signal flasher?

As for the wires under the seat...where are they?    Can't see them too well.  Should be a B/W for ground (2) and a Black and Green for the positive to the signals.  The wires come out from under the fender rails on each side and go under the frame below the seat.

Take you pictures before you remove your tank.  Please?

Thanks.

IP Logged
tjrobin30
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/04/07 at 21:27:52

I noticed the disconnected wire tucked up under the front of the tank.  Pulled it out to get a picture.

I will gladly get you some pictures as I was planning on putting the seat back on tomorrow for a quick spin anyway.  As far as I can tell (and I am pretty much a novice) the bike is completely original and I plan on keeping it that way.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 06/04/07 at 22:37:30

I can look in my manual for that wire (yellow and white?), but I don't know offhand the location.  The decompression solenoid has a 4 pin plug so that might belong to the flasher.  I don't remember...but why is it loose?

On a side note, if you need a flasher and don't mind a click sound (like in you car) you can get a replacement right off the shelf at Auto Zone (Shucks here) for about $13.  It costs over $30 at Ron Ayers...and I can't imagine the dealer cost.  I put that replacement in a bike a couple weeks ago and the owner was very happy that I'm so "economical"....all you gotta do is match the number of pins and make sure they match polarity, etc.

IP Logged
tjrobin30
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/05/07 at 08:43:33

I have no idea why the wire was disconnected.  I bought the bike from a neighbor who bought it from a fellow officer to turn around and resell.  I am going to see if I can get a little better history.

The loose wire is black and white.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 06/05/07 at 10:04:40

tjrobin30 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I have no idea why the wire was disconnected.  I bought the bike from a neighbor who bought it from a fellow officer to turn around and resell.  I am going to see if I can get a little better history.

The loose wire is black and white.

Black with a white stripe is a ground wire.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 06/05/07 at 10:33:36

have some 20amp fuses handy when you hook that backup

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 06/05/07 at 11:21:46

Should have connections like this for the rear.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 11:28:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New '88 Savage Owner Turn Signal Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.