Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battery problems? (Read 11 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

Battery problems?
06/03/07 at 07:08:59

So my Savage has NO power going to it.  I finally took the battery out of the bike and hooked it up to my trikle charger.  The charger is saying that the battery is fully charged and the charger won't turn on to charge the battery.  I put a multi-meter (which I really don't know how to use very well at all) on the battery and when it is NOT hooked up to the charger, it shows 10 volts.  When it IS hooked up to the charger, it shows 12V.  The water level in the battery is fine, not TOTALLY full, but well above the add line and almost at the top.  When the battery is in the bike, there isn't even enough power going to the bike to even faintly turn on the tail light.

I am getting ready to take the battery to Advance Auto to have it tested.  My real question is this:  If the battery were trashed, could that affect the throttle response problem that I listed here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Thanks.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Battery problems?
Reply #1 - 06/03/07 at 07:22:26

First off, how old is the bike/battery? From your info, the battery is not holding charge. You probably needs a new battery but check your grounding wire to make sure that it is tightly bolted to the frame.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/03/07 at 08:10:42

Th bike is a '96 Savage.  The batery was put into the bike in 2002 and bike was never started after the battery was installed.  They (bike and battery) sat in storage for 5 1/2 years until I bought the bike to restore it.  When I got the bike in November, the first thing I did was take the battery out and charge it.  The battery has been used in the bike for the last 1500 miles and haven't had any problems, other than me leaving the key turned on and the battery dying and needing to be charged again a few times.

The day that the throttle and engine problems started, the bike had a weak battery from me leaving the key on for 20 minutes just beore we left for the ride.  I had to push start the bike that time.  1/2 mile away from the start is when the engine problems started.  

Could they be related?

When I got to the auto parts store, the machine said that the battery needed to be charged, even though my trickle charger said that it didn't.  they charged it and tested it and the results said to replace battery.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 06/03/07 at 08:21:26

To make a long story short: the battery is DEAD, get another one..

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/03/07 at 08:41:22

I know the battery is dead and I am replaceing it.  

My question is if the battery being dead can affect the throttle and engine.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 06/03/07 at 09:59:19

just takin a stab here...
if your magneto,or coil or ignitor are, one or all faulty your bike would try to fire off battery and then have  a weak spark..  " to check charging output.....
once the new battery is hooked up start bike turn high beam on, and set your multi meter to dc volts read across the battey (red to red black to black)output should read14- 15.5 volts dc @ 5000 rpm...edited from susuki service manual.".good luck!! Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/03/07 at 10:18:37

Thanks for the info Thumperclone.  I'll check that when I get the battery.  Local auto store had only one battery that would fit the bike and they wanted $65  for it.  I'm sure I can get a much better price in the city somewhere.  I'll prolly check Batteries Plus first then go from there.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

seeRe: Battery problems?
Reply #7 - 06/03/07 at 11:54:40

see about buying a maintenance free  (ie never have to top up with distilled water) Big Crank battery. not sure of where to obtain on net (but sure someone on here can help) or maybe Batteries + might carry them. a maintenance free battery saves a lot of hassle & a Big Crank has great rep on this site for delivering the goods.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #8 - 06/03/07 at 12:07:12

here's where I got my Big Crank, Shipping was pretty quick (within a week if I remember right).

http://www.batterymart.com/c-suzuki-l650-savage-all-1986-2002.html

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #9 - 06/03/07 at 20:49:37

Batteries + is a good outfit, I got a sealed battery for $50.

IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #10 - 06/03/07 at 21:12:05

Eh, screw that noise.

Cut a notch in the battery box for the vent tube, and then use your standard Wallyworld motorcycle battery.  Much more help when you burn one out, and way quicker to repair.

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 06/04/07 at 05:32:14

I'll stick with the sealed AGM batteries.  I bought a MILSPEC Odyssey with a steel case and I love it.  If I'd know about the Big Crank batteries, I probably would've gone with that instead as it's also an AGM and definitely less expensive than the Odyssey.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:41:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery problems?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.