Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
backfiring/poor response (Read 8 times)
savagenewbie
Ex Member

backfiring/poor response
06/02/07 at 17:07:08

Here 's a few things to try and solve.  Last year trying to help kill the backfiring, I toyed with the mixture screw, I'm not sure wich way I went, but I'm getting backfiring, and poor repsonse, sluggish rolling around town.  I saw somewhere people said about 2.5 turns out from seated.  Where is seated?  righty tighten right up?  then back out left 2.5 turns?
I've also been experienceing my bike stalling out within the first few stops in town, as I gear down to a stop.  Clutch is in and the motor just dies on me?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: backfiring/poor response
Reply #1 - 06/02/07 at 17:16:18

righty tighty. if it don't bottom out you're doing something wrong.

check out lancers straight and simple carb tuning in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/02/07 at 17:33:14

Be gentle when that thing seats, no need to crank on it like a high pressure faucet.
You do need to follow Lancers tuning guide. Its easy.

IP Logged
savagenewbie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/02/07 at 18:00:57

Ok I seated the screw in, then backed it out 2.5 turns.  Went for a ride, everything feels better in town as far as reponse, didn't experience to much backfiring when slowing/shifting down.  However as I was out at about 100km/hr which I think is about 60mph/70?  in 4rth, I had a major loss in power and bike died on me.  It felt like ther was some backpressure, can this happen at highway speed?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/02/07 at 18:40:25

Did it start back up easily? How did it work out? Need a few details. Did it just cut out or did you pull the clutch in & let it go to idle & then it died coasting at 60 MPH? Any mods on the bike> year model? Mileage?

IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/02/07 at 19:42:32

savagenewbie wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Ok I seated the screw in, then backed it out 2.5 turns.  Went for a ride, everything feels better in town as far as reponse, didn't experience to much backfiring when slowing/shifting down.  However as I was out at about 100km/hr which I think is about 60mph/70?  in 4rth, I had a major loss in power and bike died on me.  It felt like ther was some backpressure, can this happen at highway speed?

Sounds like your idle is not set properly. You may want to "Thumb" the idle screw a bit while you are sitting at a stop and it starts to die. If you don't know where the idle adjusts at then you should read up on the Carb Tuning thread. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/02/07 at 20:07:34

How long have you had the bike SN?

Sounds like you got my favorate problem.
Try it in res or prime.  If it runs ok in either, could be your vacuum line to the petc0ck.  Or a bad petcock.

WWW   IP Logged
savagenewbie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/03/07 at 10:46:44

The bike did start up semi ok, I've found latley, I can't get it to turn over unless I move the petthingy to prime.  I've had this bike for just about a year, haven't done any mods to it at all.  I've been out today and is running fine, except for the HUGE! backfire when I shut it off, more so then I ever have had.  I've followed the thread lancers carb tuning, I wasn't hearing much difference in each slight turn I made either way.  Right now today I'm sitting about 3 turns out from seated, and has been running fine today.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/03/07 at 12:06:35

When I set mine according to lancers, it was about a 1/4 turn in from the way I got it and I did get a big 'after' fire on shut down.  A quarter turn out and it was gone.  You may need a tach to adjust it by lancers way.

Also check your header bolts, when cold 15 ft-lbs.  repeat daily for awhile.

Any gas leaks in your carb?  It should have gas in it when you go to start it up.  If you need to prime to get it to start, there's an issue there.

Several other things to check... any gas in the vacuum line to the petc0ck?  A bad petc0ck can lead to gas in the crankcase, not good.  is the rubber cracked?  vacuum leaks can shut off the petc0ck even though the engine is running.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › backfiring/poor response

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.