Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gear shifting (Read 10 times)
savagenewbie
Ex Member

Gear shifting
06/02/07 at 17:02:03

I've been having a few problems with my bike this early in the year.   First one I've noticed, is when I first start my bike, and shift down to first form neutral, it seems to be clunky.  But if I keep the clutch in and shift back up and down it rolls smoothly.  What should I look at?

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Re: Gear shifting
Reply #1 - 06/02/07 at 17:03:41

tighten your clutch cable and check your oil.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/02/07 at 18:05:23

If I hold the clutch in too,long I can hardly get mine in first unless I let the clutch out a bit , just a quick second, then pull the clutch & step into first. If I go too quick it grunches a bit. It's all just a matter of synchronizing the gears. If you can go from 1st, into neutral & into 2nd without moving the clutch, it's adjusted okay. If it grinds going into 2nd,after coming out of first, while the clutch lever is pulled, thats an indication the clutch cable needs tightened. or if it creeps forward in first, or any, gear, it needs tightened a bit. I would bet its all normal,
But it never hurts to check oil.. unless the bike falls on ya.

IP Logged
savagenewbie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/03/07 at 10:57:15

My oil is good, unless I'm missing a different oil just for the gears??? I believe I'm not, am I?
I've tightened the clutch cable up, But I'm still getting a rough sounding gear change into first.  Maybe this is normal?  I'm not having to use any force by any means, but it sounds CLUNK.  And I do at times, neeed to release the clutch and pull it back in to get into first from neutral, which I've seen on here people have had to do.

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #4 - 06/03/07 at 11:42:34

Is this happening from a cold start?  I've found if I don't let mine warm up for apx 30 seconds she'll clunk going into first.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 21:23:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gear shifting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.