Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rough running in midrange (Read 4 times)
borne2fly
Ex Member

Rough running in midrange
06/01/07 at 15:47:54

Got the cylinder head back on and now it is hard to start and runs rough even after it warms up, particularly in the midrange (guessing 2000-3000rpm). Never fiddled with the carb other than to disconnect it from the head. Pulling the choke out a little seems to make it run smooth. The spark plug is new. Total mileage is around 15K. I've looked all over for air leaks and can't find one. Any ideas?

IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Re: Rough running in midrange
Reply #1 - 06/01/07 at 17:19:00

It's possible that you may have debris on the inlet side of the carb somewhere due to the top end rebuild? You may have to finally tear into it. Sounds like a definite fuel issue if the choke improves it.

IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/01/07 at 18:02:12

If that's all it is I'll be a happy guy. I was planning on rejetting it anyway to ease the backfiring problem, but I'd like to get it running the way it use to before I mess with that.

My fear is that I'm off one tooth on the cam timing. When I put the timing chain back on I lined up the crank to TDC using the inspection window on the left side, and tried to line up the cam as per the manual. But (as usual) the perfect cam alignment put it "between teeth" on the cam gear, so I was forced to guess which tooth to engage, slightly advanced or slightly retarded. In retrospect, with 15K miles on the bike I should have realized that this was probably due to chain stretch and that would have led me to engage the cam gear on the slightly lagging position. If I got this wrong, would that account for this sort of rough running? Somehow I think not ..... I imagine that if the cam were misaligned no choke setting would help (fingers crossed).

By the way ..... welcome to the board Newbie! The bike I'm working on belongs to a girlfriend and she loves it. I've always had a fascination with big singles, they stand in defiance of overcomplicated, over-engineered machines. A blast from the past Smiley

IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/01/07 at 18:04:26

I'll run a compression check on it in the morning. Anyone know what's a normal reading?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 06/02/07 at 03:32:40

I don't have a service manual handy, but I'm thinking:

14.1 atmospheric times 8.5:1 compression equals real close to 120 psi.  Although I would think anything over 100 psi and you're good to go.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/02/07 at 10:32:39

It's fixed now. Turned out to be nothing more than an idle screw adjustment. Now it's around 1.5 turns out and everything runs well. It's amazing how much influence this setting has over not just idle but the whole lower half of  the power range.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/02/07 at 16:08:29

I went out & cranked the throttle & watched the idle adj. I cant see that it does anything more than if the throttle cable was adjust exactly to achieve the idle speed desired.Looks to me like the idle adj. does nothing more than set the lowest  fuel delivery the engine will see. Also, it looks to me like if I set the idle low enough that I had to hold the throttle slightly open to keep it running, it would have zero adverse effect on the engine running at speed. anyone able to help me understand how I am incorrect here?

IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/03/07 at 02:01:18

My mistake, I meant to say "idle air screw".

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/03/07 at 04:54:45

Ahh, okay, thanks, I was scratching my head for a while,, Yea, I can see how that one would mess things up a bit.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 05:33:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rough running in midrange

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.