Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
backrest help (Read 22 times)
Mister_Breeze
YaBB Newbies

backrest help
05/31/07 at 19:59:05

Embarrassed ???

Ordered from Oneida last week and the backrest,rack and crashbars came today.

Backrest had no instructions with it and now I'm thinking it was a return. I fiqured it couldn't be that hard to put on and gave it a go. I've been the last 3 1/2 hours and had to stop cause I'm ready to scream. Now have scratches on my new bikes fender and I ain't a happy camper. I've had this thing on and off at least thirty times and can't get the right combo. The actual bar doesn't want to slide in the brackets. I've left it loose,tight, and in between and still a no go. Starting to think it's machined / welded wrong or something . Anyone got the papers laying around for this piece of crap? Just can't see why I should have to modify an OEM part to fit.

Gonna give it another try in the morning Angry

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: backrest help
Reply #1 - 05/31/07 at 22:29:52

When I worked in body shops we used wide masking tape & stuck several layers on when we were working around paint we could afford to scrape up. Maybe you can keep from making it any worse? Sorry about the hassles.I have no clue how to help with anything more than the tape idea. Good Luck..

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 05/31/07 at 22:31:02

Mister_Breeze wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Embarrassed ???

Ordered from Oneida last week and the backrest,rack and crashbars came today.

Backrest had no instructions with it and now I'm thinking it was a return. I fiqured it couldn't be that hard to put on and gave it a go. I've been the last 3 1/2 hours and had to stop cause I'm ready to scream. Now have scratches on my new bikes fender and I ain't a happy camper. I've had this thing on and off at least thirty times and can't get the right combo. The actual bar doesn't want to slide in the brackets. I've left it loose,tight, and in between and still a no go. Starting to think it's machined / welded wrong or something . Anyone got the papers laying around for this piece of crap? Just can't see why I should have to modify an OEM part to fit.

Gonna give it another try in the morning Angry

A stock Suzuki backrest?  On a S40, I'm guessing....

Got a cell phone camera?  Post a photo.

I know those rails can bite your fender.  Gotta be careful.

Needless to say, it shouldn't be that hard....a little cussing, a little scratching and it should be on.

Bolts on the inside of the rails?  Bolts on the bottom?

IP Logged
Mister_Breeze
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 06/01/07 at 03:44:33

Thanks for the replys

This is for a 2006 and has the right part number on the box.

For lack of a better term.........I removed the left and right stock chrome fender struts / braces ( which are wider than the  replacements) and loosely bolted on the new ones. This is pretty simple with just two bolts in the front of each with a chrome nut and one on each from the inside of fender into the brace.

Problem is when you try to slide the sissy bar down into the struts it binds up big time. Wants to pinch the living crap out of the turn signal wire ( re-routed those three time too) and will NOT slide the whole way down in so you can bolt from the bottom of brace and then from the sides as the holes indicate.

Since  I think that all the hardware is not in the bags anyway (missing the emblem and a couple tape ties) I think it's made wrong and was returned. Short of fileing or bending the brackets or bar I'm at a loss, but going to try again.

Was hoping I was missing something (on procedure), but it doesn't look that hard to do this.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 06/01/07 at 05:00:09

Aren't there 2 bolts (1 each side) on the inside of the rails that hold the backrest in place.  Then 2 underneath too?

Are the rails bolts loose when trying to install the backrest?

I really thought that you had to assemble the whole thing THEN slide it on the fender.  That way, you know the wires are routed correctly inside the rails.

Maybe I don't have the whole picture here...

IP Logged
Mister_Breeze
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 06/01/07 at 05:47:52

Yes there are two bolts that go underneath and two from the inside of the rail. Picture in the Clymer manual looks about right . I did try both loose bolts and tight options

Don't quite understand why they give ya two sets of inside holes on the rail. Would think it would be to give ya two height options, but then theer would be no way to bolt the bottom.

May try as all one unit as I did not try that yet, but would think that would lead to some big time scratches if not going well. I've tried to treat it like nitro and still ended up with some scatches.

IP Logged
Mister_Breeze
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 06/01/07 at 06:21:48

OK...............now to confirm what I was afraid of to begin with.......
I'm a moron

Got it on now thanks to Greg. Don't know why I thought it had to be put on seperately. I had the bolts as loose as they would go and it would not line up that way. Did it Gregs way and it went right on. Five minute job as it should be!

Guess that's why they shouldpack instructions for the mentally challanged like me!

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/01/07 at 15:35:13

also why it is good to have a bunch of people on this site who are so free with advice...

IP Logged
Mister_Breeze
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 06/01/07 at 17:05:57

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
also why it is good to have a bunch of people on this site who are so free with advice...

yup gotta agree there!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 06/01/07 at 17:31:51

got a picture?

IP Logged
Mister_Breeze
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 06/02/07 at 10:27:05

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
got a picture?

Naw didn't take any yet. Just a stock bar for a S40 and on a side note..............................it just wasn't my day. When putting on the seat, dropped the back seat bolt. Quess where it went????????

Down side of fender INTO the left brace ! After trying 45 minutes to fish it out and a magnet wouldn't work............you quessed it !!!!!! Take it all apart again and retrieve. That sucker will now be on there FOREVER and I now lay a rag next to the siderail to block any incoming bolts.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/02/07 at 15:47:57

Ma,. when it goes bad, it goes all the way.. Bummer.

IP Logged
noshow
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 06/02/07 at 19:14:39

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I really thought that you had to assemble the whole thing THEN slide it on the fender.  That way, you know the wires are routed correctly inside the rails.

I have a 2006 s40 and bought the Suzuki backrest from the dealer. Putting it on was abit tricky for me also. Finally I did assemble the entire thing then installed it afterwards.

For me it was a real tight fit and I thought many times that I would scratch the paint. Lucky for me I did not. However I spent way too long being overly cautious with the installation....

http://www.bikepics.com/members/noshow/part/

I scanned the small 6 page booklet mine came with. Hope this helps.

-Noshow

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #13 - 06/02/07 at 23:12:59

Sucks you had such a hard time getting it together. When I got my '87, the old man I got it from didn't like the sissy bar because it was in his way swinging his leg over. Removing and saving the bar seemed like too much hassle to him; because the screws are hard to get to, so he just took a hack saw to it! I bet after about a half hour on the hacksaw he was thinking taking the bolts out would have been easier (and it would be). Anyways, here's what one looks like cut off:

I got my new/used bar on by only loosening bolts and working the parts around, but I've had many, many years
of experience or mechanical assembly, and making things that don't want to fit go together anyways. And I admit this was a bit of a tough one. I probably wrestled the thing for 30 minutes with all bolts loose, before I could begin to tighten anything up. Probably would have been better off to take it all off and do it from scratch as Greg suggested, but I figured there was more chance of scratching things up that way. And I'd have felt compelled to tape the fender sides as another poster recommended.

At any rate, on some assembly jobs it just pays to "bite the bullet" and start from step #1 instead of just loosening things and working from the middle of the procedure. Live and learn still applies after wrenching all your life.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 06/03/07 at 10:06:48

i played hell gettin my backrest/rack on my 06 also, just some minor scratches should of waited for the wifey to get home,X pair of hands would of really helped.had the saddle bag stand offs to deal with at the same time..if it wasnt such a pain id change out the turn signals...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:16:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › backrest help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.