Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
front wheel spoke size for '87 savage? (Read 3 times)
Dean
YaBB Newbies

North California
front wheel spoke size for '87 savage?
05/30/07 at 20:16:14

my front wheel spokes are  really rusted so i thought i should order some new ones. can anbody tell me what gauge and length i need to get ? thanks a million.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: front wheel spoke size for '87 savage?
Reply #1 - 05/30/07 at 22:22:20

Ya know...that's a new one.  The Suzuki Service Manual has the tightening torque but that's it.  It lists the rim and hub but no spokes.

Since it might need to be re-laced I guess that a good shop that does wheels is needed.

Unless you decide to just paint the whole thing black and forget about it...

(...if that wasn't funny, sorry.  I don't know what else to say.  I tried.)

Now, I do have this link from Ron Ayers for a new spoke set, but crap, the price is incredible.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/rear_wheel/rear_wheel.cfm?man=su&group...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 05/31/07 at 07:07:28

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Unless you decide to just paint the whole thing black and forget about it...

I've honestly considered having mine (wheel and spokes) sandblasted and powdercoated red but I wondered if the heat of the oven might not adversely effect the strength of the spokes.  Was just a thought anyway.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dean
YaBB Newbies

North California
Reply #3 - 05/31/07 at 07:53:43

yeah, so i found a set of o.e.m spokes that run about $34, they are the stock galvinized ones and the local mechanics will charge 1 and a half hours to lace em up, (@ $70 an hour). i found chrome spokes for around $40  (at j&p cycle online), but for those i need the specific lengths and gauge to order them.  the most expesive spokes are the stainless steel and run around $100 a set, (out of my price range), well all of this is probably  out of my price range...though its just such a shame to have those rusty brown spokes.

p.s. still looking for the spoke specs if anybody knows. and thanks for any feedback.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 05/31/07 at 08:18:05

Try a boneyard, eBay or even posting in The Marketplace.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bholly12

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Starkville, MS
Reply #5 - 05/31/07 at 11:00:26

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I've honestly considered having mine (wheel and spokes) sandblasted and powdercoated red but I wondered if the heat of the oven might not adversely effect the strength of the spokes.  Was just a thought anyway.

Hmm powder coating doesn't require much heat at all compared to heat treating ...... powder coating is done in the 300 deg F range I believe, that's a lot lower than heat treating temps.

A nice candy apple powder coat would look sweet that's for sure!

2006 Euclase Silver Metallic S40, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in, 1/2 spacer mod, 152.5 main.
WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 05/31/07 at 17:22:42

This might be a great excuse to switch to mag wheels  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:17:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front wheel spoke size for '87 savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.