Send Topic Print
Extended speedo cable? (Read 13 times)
DrT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Extended speedo cable?
05/30/07 at 02:10:08

I am looking to replace the standard tank with a larger alternative, which means mounting the speedo elswhere.  I would prefer to have it at the handlebars.  I have read in a earlier post to this board that there may be a tachometer cable from an early suzuki triple that will do the trick - anybody know which model?  Alternatively, any other ways of doing it?

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Extended speedo cable?
Reply #1 - 05/30/07 at 06:34:20

I will suggest an alternative: cap off the speedo drive hole and get an aftermarket speedo that does not work off the stock speedo drive, like many here have done.  Other than that, I don't know any details.  My speedo is painted on.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 05/30/07 at 07:45:09

I put a Harley five gallon tank on my 650. I too wanted to keep the stock speedo and put it on the bars. I did and it works just fine. I went to a local "pre-owned" bike parts yard. The guy who knows the yard like he knows his wife took me to an older three cyl. Suzuki (early to mid 80's I think) and told me that the tach cable should work. I don't remember the bike model, but how many threes are there? The thing you have to look for is the end that goes into the block. Make sure the threaded part and the insert part are the same as your shorter stock cable. I didn't measure it, but it's more than long enough to route up under the tank to anywhere you want to go.

Pull out the inner cable, clean it well, put some motor oil on it for lubrication and slide it back into it's sheath. I also put details on here in a previous posting about what I came up with for mounting the speedo on the bars. A pretty tidy and clean look if I do say so myself. Cheap too. Here's the link to see pix of what I did with mine.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

IP Logged
DrT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 05/30/07 at 08:57:15

............ how many threes are there?

The most likely contenders are  GT380, GT550 or GT750 so I'll start with them.  Thanks.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #4 - 05/30/07 at 16:14:52

I believe a GT250 cable will fit.  I have both a savage and a gt250 parts bike so if you want me to measure anything I probably could.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:26:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Extended speedo cable?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.