Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cold weather engine question (Read 7 times)
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Cold weather engine question
05/29/07 at 22:05:49

For you folks that ride in the cold weather, do you have problems with your engine being extremely finicky?  Mine starts and runs okay in anything above 70 degrees but anything less, it dies when I come to a stop.  It's like it wants warm air only.  Even when the engine is warm.

HELP!!!

??? ???

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cold weather engine question
Reply #1 - 05/29/07 at 22:14:22

Your idle too low for the cold mornings, speed it up a bit.  of course afternoons it going to be fast.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 05/29/07 at 22:53:03

Maybe could use one of those wind screens that 18 wheelers use in front of the radiator in cold weather.  I really like the one's with the image of Taz too.

IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #3 - 05/30/07 at 00:38:13

I don't have much of a problem till in the 30's and I'm running it hard. It seems the cold air running over the engine keeps it to cool and it dosn't warm up enough.

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 05/30/07 at 20:29:53

The other post was just a joke, but there was a reason behind it.  Why do truckers try to keep their diesel engines warm by blocking the radiator?  It ain't just for a Taz face.

First of all this is a thumper.  An air cooled thumper.  Part of this just might be an unfamiliarity with both those facts.  Possible?

Thumpers are not as high tech as alot of the more modern engines on bikes these days.  But they were pretty much the predecessor of an awful lot of other bikes on the road.

The Savage, and thumpers in general, tend to be quirky.  Air cooling tends to make it cold blooded.  Idles fine.  Warms right up.  Once moving it starts being difficult.

I suggest that you just leave the choke at the 1/2 way point while driving slow, and if you get going fast, then pop it all the way in.  Then if you are going slow again, pull it back out one click.  May even have to blip the throttle from time to time.  Do that until the air temp gets warmer.

Thumpers...you either love 'em or leave 'em.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #5 - 05/31/07 at 05:18:03

My engine does not start without the choke, cold or hot weather. Learn to live with the specifics of your engine.
Adjustments, if any, when the engine is at operating temperature (80 degr.C) and leave it alone.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 05/31/07 at 06:00:58

I agree that adjustments to fuel/air feed should be made when the engine is warm, but I had no problem with my Savage running fine, even below freezing. (As a matter of fact one of the reasons for me selecting a different MC is because I got too cold riding my Savage.) I would say that some engines (the parallel twin 500cc in my wife's Kawasaki) are  a little slower to warm up than others, but I don't think the Savage should have any problems running at temperatures well below 70.

HD eater - I think your MC needs some adjustment, it might be running too lean when running in cold air. (Probably running too lean in warm air too, it just doesn't die).

IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #7 - 05/31/07 at 06:35:11

Thanks guys!  I'll get it checked out soon by a mechanic.  I won't take it back to a dealer --- they don't know anything about this bike!!!  Do I just find a mechanic that knows bikes?

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/31/07 at 06:50:58

Your best bet is to just hang out here, talk to people, try things & mess with that bike till you get it running right. The $$ you save will buy the tools & plenty O beer. The satisfaction of fixin it yerself? priceless. Get a service manual, Some folks have both , Clymers & Suzuki. Once this is ironed out, something else will show up later & you will be traipsing back to a mechanic. You might as well learn to do it. It really is fun once you get into it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:22:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold weather engine question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.