Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My exhaust plan (Read 8 times)
Lochson
Ex Member

My exhaust plan
05/29/07 at 19:44:24

I am looking at buying either a Hard Krome or other baffle and having a muffler shop set me up with the right size pipe to hold it, orrrrr a supertrapp universal 3".

Opinions? Reccomendations?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: My exhaust plan
Reply #1 - 05/29/07 at 21:19:22

get in touch with lancer i got a haedkrome 3" slash cut from him last year...got the local midas shop(found a biker there)to fab the 10 deg offset bend X 7"long 1 3/4" pipe adaptor(do a search this site)piece for $5..
two hd clamps (DONT OVER TIGHTEN)an lil permatex hi temp sealent...great sound!!had to re jet was TOO rich for my altitude 4500' and did "lancers'quick and easy carb tuning"(search)a lil pop on quick de cell specially when cold but NO bluing the actual muff inside the chrome cone is brown..7"> 10" crome shield for the adaptor piece and you are good to go..had a guy ask "thats not the stock pipe is it?" only way he could tell cause i snapeed the front hd clamp and replaced w/ a car clamp and it buldged the chome shield a bit...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #2 - 05/29/07 at 23:00:00

Sure, I'll chime in.  I bought a pile of jets, and a dynojet needle kit, and then I ripped the pile of vomit Jardine muffler off my head pipe that came with the bike.  (Sorry to all you Jardine fans out there, but the thing sounds offensive and performs like something off a milk truck.) I got some pipe that was the right diameter to slide over that head pipe, put a bend and a sidespout to it, and welded on a bracket with some nuts welded in place to run bolts and hold the whole contraption on.  Got it dialed in for jetting, and took everything back off, and header painted it flat black.  And EVERYONE asks where I got the badass pipe.  Give it a whirl...I'm running no mufflers at all, and it sounds perfect to my ear...but I'm a little bit redneck.

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 05/30/07 at 08:41:36

I do like the sound of the Hard Krome and it's well made.  However, I like the look of my blackened MAC better and the sound isn't bad.  I just couldn't bring myself to blacken the Hard Krome.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/30/07 at 10:28:58

I did the Supertrapp.( 4" megaphone) If I had it to do over I might go with a real "LowBuck" approach & just see if it gave me the performance I was after. I Like the sound of it fine, the look is better than stock to me, but, the real slim exhausts look better on such a small built bike, (My opinion) What Govmule proposes sounds interesting, & I sure like the look of a dyna Muffler on it, or a turn out.There are inexpensive options that have given good results. The sellingpoint for me on the Supertrapp was the tunability. I still like that aspect, but it seems others have achieved the proper tuning on the carb, gotten great performance & spent a good deal less. Good luck.

IP Logged
Lochson
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/30/07 at 14:03:02

Thanks for all the imput. I am not after a sound so much as performance. That is why I am leaning toward the supertrapp. I plan on wrapping the pipes so chrome isn't a factor. I think I will give the supertrapp a shot. Now just to find the best deal.

IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #6 - 05/30/07 at 14:43:02

I haven't dynoed it at all, but it seems to pull much harder than the Jardine, especially up in the revs.  I know we're not talking a 16,000 rpm GSX-R here, but sometimes if I'm in a twisty, I want to wrap it out some and shift after the turn...and the darn thing was practically asthmatic before.  Now, if you aren't wringing the daylights out of it, it does pretty well.  

I just didn't like the price of the exhausts.  My bike's got nice custom paint, some go-fast goodies...it's worht maybe two grand.  I'm not putting ten percent of the bike into an exhaust system.  I was after performance, but I couldn't believe how terrible that Jardine pipe sounded, not to mention it was nothing more than a chrome glasspack.  I was unimpressed, to say the least.  I am certain someone out there has an exhaust that produces more HP than mine, and I've not played with the SuperTrapp system, but I think dollar for dollar I did really well.

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 05/31/07 at 07:01:31

I would assume the tunability of the Supertrapp should be something in its favor.  The price (and for me, the appearance) of the MAC is something in its favor and I have no problems with its performance at all.  If you want a one-piece solution, go for a Raask.  Of course, the best priced solution is probably HD takeoffs and many have had excellent success with them.  I have one in the garage I've not tried yet.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:24:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My exhaust plan

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.