Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
high speed wobble (Read 28 times)
Biker_13
Ex Member

high speed wobble
05/28/07 at 19:25:20

ok so i took my 05 S40 out last night on the freeway i got up to 60 ok but once i got to 65 and a little faster the front started to shack alittle on me. So im trying to find out if just something is out of aliment or if there is a design problam with the bike to couse this

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: high speed wabble
Reply #1 - 05/28/07 at 20:54:25

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 05/28/07 at 21:29:00

Wobble can be real freaky.  What is different about your Savage40 from stock?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/28/07 at 21:48:34

How many miles?
Stock tires?
Missing wheel weights?
Check the tire pressure, loose fasteners, etc.

What kind of shaking are we talking about? up and down or left and right?

How long have you been riding?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 05/28/07 at 21:49:48

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
How many miles?
Stock tires?
Missing wheel weights?
Check the tire pressure, loose fasteners, etc.

What kind of shaking are we talking about? up and down or left and right?

How long have you been riding?

I really hope that you have experienced high speed wheel wobble.  Nothing like being forced to slow down, while feeling like you have absolutely no control over your bike or bowels.

It's that good!
Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked 8) ??? Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss :'(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/28/07 at 22:45:46

A few times, but those were induced by road conditions, not the condition of my bike.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Biker_13
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/29/07 at 00:32:43

no the wabble is a side to side motion like the wheel is being turned as far as i know my bike is stock its also my first bike it has 1400 miles on it i dont know if it has or needs wheel weigths.....is this something i need to take to the dillership to get fixed....and i want to make sure this problam is not in the design of the bike cause i want to go on some bike runs with this thing

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 05/29/07 at 04:16:43

This is NOT an inherent problem with the design.  Although, something may be wrong with your particular bike...It sounds initially to me like a tire balance problem, although a broken wheel spoke, or really out of adjustment spokes can act the same way...  A bad wheel bearing could also have similar prolems, but not likely only above 65, that should happen at all speeds and get progressively worse the faster you go.  

A wheel weight will likely look like a giant fishing sinker, it will be a dull color compared to the rest of the wheel.  Look on the spokes for lead...(pronounced "led")

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 05/29/07 at 06:18:21

The "classic wheel wobble" which is even discussed in the MSF training program, is a side to side shaking of the front wheel and handlebars.  

It usually occurs only at a certain speed, and you can not steady the bars with your hands.  It is like some invisible gremlin is fighting you with the bars.

It starts slowly and picks up frequency if you continue accelerating.  Your only recourse is to slow down.  It is very unnerving.

My Yamaha 850 was prone to do this at about 70 and it was due to the dealer installed Windjammer fairing that was on it.  If I got caught in a particular kind of cross wind it could start.  But there are a few different reasons for woblle

It really is more related to the steering and alignment than the wheel.  It is not inherent to the Savage40 design, which is why I asked about changes to the bike.

Here is an interesting discussion about it.  Might give some ideas for where to look.

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3063

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #9 - 05/29/07 at 06:54:31

our spitfire windshield adds a little wind wobble at ~80mph, so 60mph into a 20mph headwind will wiggle a little. rain grooves on interstates will influence some wobble into the steering on light bikes (which the savage is), but high speed wobbles are not inherent to the savage, thanks to the long rake angle of the forks.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 05/29/07 at 07:04:31

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
our spitfire windshield adds a little wind wobble at ~80mph, so 60mph into a 20mph headwind will wiggle a little. rain grooves on interstates will influence some wobble into the steering on light bikes (which the savage is), but high speed wobbles are not inherent to the savage, thanks to the long rake angle of the forks.

I haven't experienced wobble with or without my windshield on the Savage at 80 (which I know would be unnerving).  But that's not the point.

The wobble we are talking about is not induced by road conditions but the feel and effect is very similar to rain grooves.  The only difference is that rain grooves are obvious.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/29/07 at 09:46:59

Is the tire in good shape? Does it feel like riding a drunk cow in corners? When my tires started needing replaced I felt the handling really go downhill fast. The speed a corner could be handled at started falling, but I don't remember the front end getting overpowering in a straight line. In a corner, when the front end starts wobbling, no amount of upper body seems to be able to stabilize it. The low speed wobbles I DID feel at higher speeds came in above 60 & were very low power & low frequency & could be attenuated somewhat by stiffening the arms up. Tires solved it completely.

Be careful,  Wobbles take people down.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #12 - 05/29/07 at 18:15:55

??? The only high speed wooble I have felt on my 06 S40, was when I would come up on an 18 wheeler, or when one would pass me.  But this was at around 65-70, and a Superbrace solved that.  It may seem as stated earlier, maybe a wheel weight or loose spokes.  For a very light weight bike, the Savage/S40 is a pretty stable bike.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #13 - 05/29/07 at 18:18:31

I would also check all the bolts in the front end and make sure they are tight to specs.  Although I think this would cause a wobble at all speeds.  Am I correct guys?

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 05/30/07 at 22:00:51

firsts40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
??? The only high speed wooble I have felt on my 06 S40, was when I would come up on an 18 wheeler, or when one would pass me.  But this was at around 65-70, and a Superbrace solved that.  It may seem as stated earlier, maybe a wheel weight or loose spokes.  For a very light weight bike, the Savage/S40 is a pretty stable bike.

That's called plain old buffeting.  It ain't the same thing.  At least when passing a truck, acceleration gets you through it.  

Wobble is another animal...and luckily not very common with the Savage either...or we'd be discussing it all the time Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:25:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › high speed wobble

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.