Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
anyone tow a small trailers with a s40 (Read 159 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: anyone tow a small trailers with a s40
Reply #15 - 07/10/07 at 21:44:07

I've borrowed a camera and will take some pix tomorrow (wednesday) of the hitch on the bike and get them up.

I'm leaving town tomorrow or thursday on a trip to Chapel Hill, NC on the Thunder Bee. Looking at about a 2,400+ mile round trip.  Not using the trailer 'cause it's just a short notice trip to a high school marching band reunion. Won't have time to do much camping so there's no need to tow it along. Would have skipped it except that the band director's going to be there. Class of '67 so you know the opportunities to see folks like that are getting thinner.

I pulled the top off of the motor to try to fix my nagging oil leak. It went almost 5k miles since the last time I had it apart. Other than the mess it wasn't a real problem though. I pulled the plug over that one head bolt and was surprised to find it just sits in the hole. I was expecting something along the lines of a metal freeze plug that's pressed into place like on the engine blocks of cars. So I put a bead of permatex around it and pressed it firmly back into its hole. Tomorrow around noon I'll take it out and see if I need to reconsider a long trip on the beast bee.

And relax guys. The hitch pix (like the sound of that) will be viewable tomorrow somnetime.

Jack

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #16 - 07/11/07 at 12:31:03

Okay, okay, okay. I've had enough of all ya'll's nagging me. The pix of the hitch are up. Everyone who builds themselves one just send me $25.00 for a franchise fee and everything'll be Jake. If you don't send the $ then I'll have to move to your neighborhood and start to practice my accordion again. You don't know what the darkside sounds like until you hear me trying to remember what I was told to play from the mid-50's.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #17 - 07/11/07 at 14:08:36

Click on images for the 4X biggies:

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #18 - 07/11/07 at 20:22:59

Jack,

Ur my hero!

I'll print out the photos and let a few local fabricators look at them.  I'm pumped!

Where are you at in ND?  I'm riding to St. Paul in SEP on a business trip, then on to Great Falls.  I've worked in Napoleon and Wishek ND, in the past.

Anyway, if I can get this hitch made, I'll at least owe you a nice dinner!

Even better.....if your guy wouldn't mind making another hitch, I'll buy it.  Name the price!  My bike is an '01, but it looks like the same rear end as yours.

Plz don't worry about liability.  I'm a big boy and believe in personal responsibility.  And, I've done a lot crazier stuff in my life than pull a trailer with a motorcycle!

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #19 - 07/13/07 at 19:29:52

For the doubters amongst you who think the Savage would have trouble pulling a 130 lb. trailer:

http://www.wimp.com/retriever/

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #20 - 07/16/07 at 08:10:15

I'm no longer in ND. I left the gig I was playing up there early and am back in southern Minnesota. Well, actually, I'm in N. Carolina right now as there was a short notice (to me at least) high school marching band reunion down here around Chapel Hill. My old band director was coming and at 90 years of age I figured I had best get my backside down here. So I hopped on the Thunder Bee and came on down. Any excuse to hit the highway.

After now having the hitch made and on the bike I think it could be done in the same basic format without having to do any welding at all. The left side on the front could just be a bent piece for the two right angles and then overlap with the side piece with a bolt going through both parts. I just wouldn't want to trust the strength of the fender only with two bolts to be sturdy enough for the stresses of going down the road. I'm pretty sure if the shock mounts come off I'll have other things to be worrying about. The two welds for the cross piece in the back are backed up by bolts anyway, since the welder thought it would be a nice confidence builder if the DOT ever stopped me to have a look.

So, Digger, I'll most likely be at home in Mankato in September, unless I do another distance ride. There's a couple places worth eating at around here. I can save you money if you're here on a Tuesday because the local "Grizzlies" has a two, half pound burgers with a side dish special for $7.00. Adult beverages are extra.

On a non-related sidebar, I don't see a problem with using the Savage for longer trips. I've found that keeping the speed down to around 60-65 the vibration issue is tolerable. I do 3-5 hour sessions in the saddle with little problem at those speeds. Yesterday I had to keep up with someone with a lead foot in a four wheeler for about 80 miles often sitting above 80 mph and still had throttle left. I didn't like it but the bike seemed to just want to go. There was the 180 lbs of me and another 60 lbs or so of gear (I'm traveling light this trip) on board and things just grooved. Last year I did the 4,200 mile jaunt to Miami, FL and back and this year it's this short 2,500 or so round trip. I say pad the seat, keep the speed down, run synth. oil and get out there on the long highway.

JC

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 07/16/07 at 18:49:14

Jack,

Glad to hear you're enjoying your trip.  I ride over 30K miles a year, but only two thousand of those miles are Savage miles.

I am through Mankato frequently.  I'll let you know the next time I'll be there.

A Grizzly burger sounds good!

Ride Safe!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #22 - 05/11/14 at 12:31:17

I know i'm reviving a VERY dead post, but im wondering if anyone ever made anything out of this trailer hitch. Or anything like it? Id love to get something like this made. Thanks

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #23 - 05/11/14 at 13:26:32

http://www.hitchusa.com/Suzuki.html -- Still lists the Savage, still no part number or price.
The above photos of the hitch would be enough to make one yourself.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 05/11/14 at 20:31:50

I went to the link Digger posted. I didnt see a trailer on a Savage.
I Did see this trailer,

http://www.wimp.com/seaplanetruck/

Now, lets see that schmuck Land that thing BACK on that trailer,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #25 - 05/12/14 at 04:12:45

LOL JOG

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:26:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › anyone tow a small trailers with a s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.