Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What can I expect out of my Savage? (Read 23 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Long Life?
Reply #15 - 05/29/07 at 19:54:45

Hey, Justin, how much does it cost you to do an oil change?

Now, you know that the cost varies with the oil and where you get the filter, or whether you (ouch) take it to a dealer....

Oops.  I'm just curious about such a response to Stinger's story.  No doubt he has changed the oil 20+ times.  He doesn't skimp on his bike...(he even uses a steam cleaner on it...it's spotless)

Besides, if you saw the photos and heard the details of his round trip through the Dakotas, Missouri and Illinois last summer, you'd understand.  He ventures out when most of us stay home.   He even gets chased by open range horses when he goes on a ride.  Stinger rides the crap out of his Savage.

I think he is doing his own product evaluation on that 2002 Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 05/29/07 at 20:11:28

Besides, I keep asking him to let me open it up and look at that tensioner, but it seems dam near impossible to get the guy out of the saddle....except for when he let me ride it Smiley

I keep hoping he'll let me do it before he goes on his next ride...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/29/07 at 20:31:53

I have a reason for the question Greg. I expect you know where its headed. I am curious about the cost of all those oil changes, versus the benefit of extended life. So, I want to know what HIS costs are.I know mine. You dont mind do you?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 05/29/07 at 20:48:16

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I have a reason for the question Greg. I expect you know where its headed. I am curious about the cost of all those oil changes, versus the benefit of extended life. So, I want to know what HIS costs are.I know mine. You dont mind do you?

I know, I know....

My point is that we can debate oil change frequency and with 4000 members, none of will agree.  Never do.  None of us even agree on "oil type".  Oil preference questions are just plain boring anymore.  That question just seemed like asking how often you brush your teeth.

He likes every 1000.  I don't do that, but he does.  It seems a little excessive to me, but it's really irrelevant.  I'm thinking that there is a certain amount of wear that's gonna occur even if you change it once a week.

Me, I usually change it when it looks ugly in the sight glass.  If Stinger says he does it every 1000, then just figure $10 per change times 25....$250.

If there are any benefits, we'll know when he lets me take a look inside.  Just have to get him off it Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/29/07 at 21:25:11

Well, at $10.00 he would have spent about $165.00 over what a guy spends if he does it every 3,000 miles. Now, the question becomes( for me anyway) What maintenance costs were avoided by that expense? When you look in & check things out, then there may just be a good example of where to spend the money. On oil changes of great frequency or, just go with recommended changes & do the maintenance. Be waiting on the report from within. The hard one will be the long term effects on things like cylinder walls & rings, main bearings & tranny parts. The cam chain, if it's in good shape, would be a good 'canary in the coal mine" for the rest O the engine. I am starting to develop a bit of an oil surplus here, with a backhoe, riding lawnmower, & 2 bikes. I would like a good way to dispose of it that doesnt cost me. That & hauling it to town is about a drag.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 05/29/07 at 21:34:36

Well, at $10.00 he would have spent about $165.00 over what a guy spends if he does it every 3,000 miles. Now, the question becomes( for me anyway) What maintenance costs were avoided by that expense? When you look in & check things out, then there may just be a good example of where to spend the money. On oil changes of great frequency or, just go with recommended changes & do the maintenance. Be waiting on the report from within. The hard one will be the long term effects on things like cylinder walls & rings, main bearings & tranny parts. The cam chain, if it's in good shape, would be a good 'canary in the coal mine" for the rest O the engine. I am starting to develop a bit of an oil surplus here, with a backhoe, riding lawnmower, & 2 bikes. I would like a good way to dispose of it that doesnt cost me. That & hauling it to town is about a drag.

Are you cursed?  It's gotta be tough.

You just plain think too much.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 05/29/07 at 22:23:45

Just about the time I start thinkin maybe you are okay, you go & help me remember why I doubted it in the first place.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 05/29/07 at 22:38:49

I'd look at the cam chain adjuster before you go.
It's the last thing you want to go pop on a long trip.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 05/29/07 at 22:44:08

Just about the time I start thinkin maybe you are okay, you go & help me remember why I doubted it in the first place.

Works both way.

When you finally grow up you'll remember that I helped you get there

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 05/29/07 at 22:48:12

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I'd look at the cam chain adjuster before you go.
It's the last thing you want to go pop on a long trip.

I know...I can't talk him into going in there first.  

Read what he wrote..."Gonna make a run from Oregon to South Dakota next month then Ill have Gregg check out the cam chain."

I try.  

Maybe it's like cancer, no one really wants a colonoscopy either Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 05/29/07 at 23:42:26

So Greg, what happened here? someone who just doesnt have your ability to be concise & to the point get hold of your keyboard? Or, maybe you just feel like you can say thing to others about things, even though you do those very things? Where I am from we call that trait "hypocritical" .

Hey, Man...good job!  And I'm here to tell you how good.  Can you say "KISS"?

Now mind ya, I'd been holding out for some sophisticated, creative replacement like a countershaft spacer from a 1955 Black Vincent....but alas, I couldn't find that bike.

( pretty chatty crap, wheres the point)

After your post, I picked up 2 - 7/8" flat washers at True Value Hardware.  Not the hardened ones, but just plain old flat washers...but who cares.

Now, the countershaft measures about .965" and the plain old washer measures about .935" (clearance for .875").  Just a tiny bit too small....more to do...get Dremel Tool, vise grips, and beer.
( got to keep it sounding friendly, or someone might start thinking you are too full of yourself)
With a beer and the carbide bit is going around, and around, and around, and around, and around, and around, and around...

What;s THIS crap about? are you cursed man?

]the job was soon complete.  2 flat washers installed, nut torqued, and tab lock washer bent.  Done.
( Wheww, I was getting scared for a while that it was gonna Eat you alive, sure glad you made it)_
I had been holding out with the idea of being creative, but I didn't want to spend a bunch of money either.  Essentially, I had a mental block and you jarred me out of it.

My "spacer" cost me $1.20, plus a beer (but that was inevitable anyway) Tongue

Thanks again.

PS - the OD on the washers is ~1.775".  Just a little bigger than the tab lock washer.  Forget about cutting down a $13-15 sprocket and just open up a couple washers, instead.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2007, 9:48pm by Greg_650 »

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #26 - 05/30/07 at 02:16:27

OK! Jeez!  Ill have Gregg check the cam chain!  The reason I said I change the oil alot is cause I do alot of high  speed riding and sometimes all day long.  Its not written in stone that I do it that often. Depends how Im riding.  Just seems to  me with a single cylinder runnin hot and at high rpms all day, the oil is gonna break down quickly. I only pay like $2 a qt for  oil for the bike so it isnt no big deal. Only takes 5 minutes, and my bike runs smoother and quieter.  Besides I can rectify the expense cause I only change the oil in my car ever 100,000 miles.

Also, and thanks gregg!  Sad I bought my mom a small steam cleaner about the size of a coffee pot. Gregg asked me how I kept my bike so clean, I must wash it every day. Actually I washed it maybe 3 times all last year. I just use this little steam cleaner on it after a long dirty ride. Cleans all the bugs, road tar, and dirt and uses hardly any water. I know it sounds gay but it works!  Washing is too much work, Im lazy!

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 05/30/07 at 02:28:31

Im beginning to think that colonoscopies and cam chains have a lot in common. Both scare the crap out of me!
I didnt even know what a cam chain was till I came in here!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 05/30/07 at 05:43:47

I only pay like $2 a qt for  oil for the bike so it isnt no big deal. Only takes 5 minutes, and my bike.

This is why I asked about your cost of oil change. I wasnt trying to crucify you for what you were doing. Actually, I had a few things on my mind when I asked. I am willing to consider changeing what I do, IF someone else is doing it differently & it works better,. I am open. So, If I dare ask, what oil are you running for 2 bucks a quart & do you change the filter with each oil change?

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
http://www.ls-650.de/Thumperbike/htmRe: Long Life?
Reply #29 - 06/01/07 at 13:20:57

http://www.ls-650.de/Downloads/TBKS3.zip.
This is a possible solution if you tend to keep your bike a long time. 269 euro's.
http://www.ls-650.de/Thumperbike/html/body_steuerkettenspanner.html Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:39:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What can I expect out of my Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.