Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
anyone tow a small trailers with a s40 (Read 11 times)
john_galt
Ex Member

anyone tow a small trailers with a s40
05/27/07 at 18:10:08

hi,

i am new to this forum, just found it 30 minutes ago.

i bought  a new Boulevard s40 Wednesday may 23.

i need some info on pulling a small cargo trailer for just shopping, not touring.

suzuki dealers said i should be able to, as long as the trailer and load are under the 785  weight cap.

the trailer people i have spoken to say they have sold trailers to people with 250 cc to 650 cc bikes.

BUT, no one i have spoken too has had any experience with a trailer, so i am looking for some feedback from ones who have.

hope someone can help

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: anyone tow a small trailers with a s40
Reply #1 - 05/27/07 at 21:09:03

Trailers have been discussed a few times. There is a "search" function in the forum. Setting the search time span is important. Make it search for a date further back. Some folks report having good success with it, others, well, not so great. There are a few guys here who seem to be able to find anything, maybe one will locate the thread & post a link for you. The bike will handle the load, because there are a couple here who run sidecars, so the power is there. The hitch ( if I remember from the last discussion) was pretty pricey & was not a stock item anywhere, but could be custom made. Not stock, because the 650 Suzuki isn't a commonly used trailer hauler.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 05/27/07 at 22:56:22

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 05/28/07 at 22:24:02

And how did Digger's project turn out?

IP Logged
john_galt
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/28/07 at 23:34:46

hi,

thanks for the info

justin_o_guy & SavageDude & Greg_650 ( i also would like to

know how digger's project turned out.

I appreciate the search info, and the link i was sent.

i've gathered a lot of info, lots of trailers out there, but no pre-built hitch for the S40, did find one for the s50 ( maybe i should have bought that bike).
now i just have to find a hitch.

no luck with that yet, but i am calling all local machine
shops about a custom built job.

as i read other people questions and answers, there seems to be a small problem with liability, ( seems a lot of people are sue happy so less people are willing to build things.

I'll let everyone know how things turn out.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 05/29/07 at 06:50:10

check the yellow pages and newspaper for welders..
the guy with a small shop/converted garage or just the rig on the back of a dually..there are many here cause of the energy industry , better pricing than machine shop..
i went to "spring works" when i was getting the arse end of my tacoma beefed up for towing..they made a motorcycle carrier that fits into my reciever hitch and has another reciever so i can haul thumperclone and the camper trailer to the mountains at the same time..whole job with new rear shocks(and spring work) was very reasonable..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 06/05/07 at 17:10:37

Hi John - a couple of years back I bought a hitch for my Savage - unfortunately it is not where I live and I will not be close to it for another 2 months. I never installed it - just wanted it for that "in case" day.

The guy I bought it from rigged it to quickly bolt on bolt off - he had a couple of nuts welded to the swing arm to accomplish this - it flairs out to get around the muffler

He said he and his wife had done two up touring hauling a small trailer for thier gear without any concern.

Good luck with your project

IP Logged
john_galt
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/06/07 at 13:40:09

hi thumperclone,

i just found a guy with a machine shop near me who said he could build me a hitch.

he did ask if i had any pictures of a s40 with a hitch to show him.

i don't.

if anyone out there knows of any pics showing an s40 with a hitch, please let me know

thanks

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 06/08/07 at 20:03:52

I just got back from a long trip (on another bike) and am trying to get back on track regarding my Savage trailer project.

I'm currently trying to convince John (954-784-0119) at Motorcycle Hitch USA

http://www.motorcyclehitchusa.com/  (Really cool music on their web site, BTW.)

to get the factory to build a hitch for the Savage (John is in FL and the factory is in Quebec, Canada).

He said to check back later in June, as the factory is busy fabricating hitches for bigger bikes (i.e. bigger markets).

I figure that if enough brain-damaged Savage drivers call John and press our case, perhaps the factory will get serious about building a hitch for our mightly little bikes.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:34:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › anyone tow a small trailers with a s40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.