Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
engine question (Read 11 times)
stoner
YaBB Newbies

engine question
05/27/07 at 11:23:58

Hi, I have a question for the savage Gurus.  I picked up a 1986 Savage for my wife last year for a good price as the engine needed work (the motor had dreaded kick back damage and the starter gear had lost a few teeth).  Over the winter months I purchased a used motor, the guy said it was hard starting and maybee was off its timing.  Took off the carb and cleaned it up. I put the engine at TDC, took off the cylinder head cover and adjusted the camshaft so the alignment marks on the left end of the shaft were even with the end of the engine case (left and right) (also replalce the "plug" while I had the top off).  Put the cover back on and she fired up first flick of the button.  I also adjusted the valvaes when I had the engine oout of the frame.  The bike works great but I have a few questions.  First and concerning is the heat of the engine and the exhaust.  The pipe has turned blue and it goes down to the footrest coverplate, after riding for say 10 mis or so, the exhaust will sizzle water when sparyed on it.  I understand it will be hot neat the exhaut port, but it will also sizlle water on the extreme end by the rear foot peg, is this normal????.  Also the forward valvae cover will sizzle water as well, again should this be this hot????.  I looked at my filter and it was dirty, so I took it out and ran with it for a bit with the same results.  I am concerned with running the engine with this heat (I have a Virago and it doesn't get that hot) and the damage it may do.  Can she be running "Rich" would that cause it to run hot, or maybee this temperature is normal for the Savage (after all it is a big single).  

Second question is I have a tapping and I am not sure what it is, could it be a lifter.  I put my hand on that area and can't feel any vibration or hear anything in that area.

So as for the Savage my wife loves it, It is very low and a joy to ride, I love the sound it makes.  Just a little concerned on the engine heat.  Gladly welcome all comments.  Love this forum as it has answered any questions I have on my wives bike.  Thanks

Stoner      

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: engine question
Reply #1 - 05/27/07 at 12:13:26

You have to remember that water will sizzle at over 212F or 100C and all those exhaust parts get way over that anyway.  I would say that's normal.

As for the bluing...Did you say that the pipe turned blue after you started it, or was it blue before?  That usually comes from being too lean.

The tapping, if it comes from the head, is a rocker (not a lifter).  If you adjusted the valves correctly, you'll still have a little bit of ticking.  Hard to tell how much is too much from here Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/27/07 at 12:43:19

Some year models were jetted reasonable from the factory. I don't know whach those are. The recent ones are all lean & blue the exhaust often. Mine didn't until I was sitting still, listening to the valves clicking, & it blued from the revs I did. Ratts! Owell,,
Is the exhaust stock? Is the carb stock? If it's bluing the pipe, only after you worked on it, what';s different? What feeler gauge did you use adjusting the valves?

IP Logged
stoner
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - 05/27/07 at 13:02:07

this is the first time I ran this engine, before it had an engine that i pulled that had the dreaded backlash problem and sheared the case and starter disc.  The pipes where not blue before (with the other engine).  once I put in the new engine the pipes here fine at idle (I only ran in for 5 or 10 mins stopped).  When I to it for a spin, they (the pipes) started to blue.  As for the vavlue adjustment I use a .005 in feeler gauge.  If I adjusted the valvues either to lose or to tight, will this cause the engine to run hot.  As for the carb, I have not done anymods, not sure if the guy before me did and I am not sure if he changed the jets.  you mentioned thisgs get hot, but does it heat up the end of the muffler near the rear footbeg that much( mine sizzles water), also the front valve cover, should it get thet hot (sizzles water).  I would assume all that heat can't be good on the seals/gaskets.  They only thing I have to compare all of this to is my 1000 Virago, yes the exhaust near the exhaust port gets hot (as expected) and the engine head gets hot (but doesn't sizzle water), also the muffler near the rear footbeg does get hot, but not enought to boil water.  I am also scared that someone (namely my son) may rub a leg up near the muffler on my wives bike and cause a very serious burn.

Would running "lean" cause this problem, if so how to you chan/adjust it

Again thanks for the info, looking for more

Stoner

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/27/07 at 13:30:37

I wouldnt run it till I figured out why its so lean.Blue the pipes in 10 minutes sure sounds hottttt.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 05/27/07 at 13:48:07

Pull the carb and see what jets you have in it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 05/27/07 at 15:10:42

Dam.  I know that was a disappointment.

Check for exhaust leaks too.

Did it pop or backfire while you rode?

IP Logged
stoner
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 05/27/07 at 15:35:28

exhaust seems fine with no leaks, also the exhaust is clear with no black smoke or anything.  does anyone else's muffer (espically near the end tip)and top of the engine get this hot (near front valve cover).  If I screwed up on the valve adjustment, will this make it run hot.  As for the carb, what am I looking for for factory jetting.  I will pull the carb in the next day or so and check to see what they say (I am assuming the jets are marked with a number??)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 05/27/07 at 16:12:59

stoner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
exhaust seems fine with no leaks, also the exhaust is clear with no black smoke or anything.  does anyone else's muffer (espically near the end tip)and top of the engine get this hot (near front valve cover).  If I screwed up on the valve adjustment, will this make it run hot.  As for the carb, what am I looking for for factory jetting.  I will pull the carb in the next day or so and check to see what they say (I am assuming the jets are marked with a number??)

"This hot" is pretty relative.  Everytime I've burned myself on the pipe, I thought the same thing Tongue

New exhaust gasket or one in good condition?

No smoke in the exhaust indicates a clean burn, but it could also mean it is too lean.  It's not supposed to smoke, and black would mean too rich.

I suppose that if you have the valves way too tight it could be valves, but you also mentioned a ticking sound which could mean there is a clearance.  Did you adjust to .003'-.005"?  Did you adjust them at TDC on the Exhaust Stroke?

What type exhaust or what modifications are made to the stock exhaust?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 05/27/07 at 16:16:48

#155 main/#47.5 pilot is stock for 86-88 savages. 95 and newer is #145/#52.5.  
 Jets are accessed by dropping the float bowl, they are screwed in upward from there.  They are marked, tiny numbers, may need a magnifier.
 Rich or lean can blue your pipes, if you have no black smoke you are probably lean.
 At sea level, most people find these bikes lean.  Generally you go one jet size leaner for every 2500ft or so depending also on temp and humidity.  Jetting is never perfect, it is just a good average for conditions in your area.
 Also make sure that you didn't mix up inches for mm's when adjusting the valves, I did that once.  OOP'S!
 This is a big, air cooled thumper so you should expect more heat and valve noise than a lot of other bikes.  It is designed for this and is nothing to worry about.  My pipe is blue 2/3's of the way to the muffler cause I run in all weather and ride through 7500ft elevation changes.
 Make sure the carb passages and jets are not gunked up or bigger jets won't help anything, then try a bigger jet and see if it runs better.  If it does try one step bigger till you start seeing black smoke and it feels sluggish then back down a size.
 Best of luck, and ride safe.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stoner
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 05/27/07 at 16:21:50

I am running the factory stock exhaust.  I can remember adjusting the valves to the clearance given in the valve clear guide given in the forum, I am assuming I was at TDC in the right stroke as I did have play in both rockers (in and exhaust).  What about your engine Greg, does it get as hot as mine, will it sizzle water on the front valve cover.  The rear is hot also, but not as hot (will not sizzle water).  The exhaust seal was used, but looked in good shape.  You menationed "Lean", can I adjust this by playing with the carb??

Stoner

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #11 - 05/27/07 at 16:54:26

Lets run back through your engine change again. As I recollect, there is a difference in the CDI unit and fixed flywheel timing point between the 4 speed models and the 5 speed ones. Could you be running with retarded timing, ie. firing part way down power stroke so there is still lots of heat energy left to go out the exhaust? At least something to think about. Seems like the ignition (CDI) unit has to match the engine to be correct? Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
stoner
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 05/27/07 at 17:50:39

ok as for the engine, the engine I put in was also a 4 speed so it is the same as the one I took out , right (I do beleive it came from an 87, but I will check my back emails from the guy).  As for the valvaes I just got home and checked my gage, the feeler gage I used has on it 0.30, thats it,  no inches or MM indication.  Is this the same as .003 (up to .005) or am I out to luch here (I hope I am) .  The lowests stick I have in my feeler gage set is 0.10 and it goes up to 0.40.

Thanks guys

Stoner

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/27/07 at 18:27:38

Well, if it says .3 & you can bend it without pliers, it's millimeters & that is.0115 inches.  IF it says .3 & it is inches, then it is almost 1/3rd of an inch thick, & should not be considered a feeler gauge at all, but a wheel chock. Should be pretty clattery either way. I have no idea at all about ignition issues & timeing, but I do have digital callipers that make the mm to inch translation easy. Hope that helps you get to the bottom of this.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 05/27/07 at 19:19:36

stoner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
ok as for the engine, the engine I put in was also a 4 speed so it is the same as the one I took out , right (I do beleive it came from an 87, but I will check my back emails from the guy).  As for the valvaes I just got home and checked my gage, the feeler gage I used has on it 0.30, thats it,  no inches or MM indication.  Is this the same as .003 (up to .005) or am I out to luch here (I hope I am) .  The lowests stick I have in my feeler gage set is 0.10 and it goes up to 0.40.
Thanks guys

Stoner

What a minute.  What are we talking about here?

I'm not sure that I understand.  You intended to write ".3"?

That is 100 times what you want..  No.  Not .03" either.  .3" is 100 times the thickness of .003".  The range is .003"-.005" just as I wrote.  Metric is different, but even .3 MM would be too big.

Let's stop talking about sizzling water.  That is a minor issue.  Do like Max said and step backwards.  Redo time.  

Go out and get some real feeler gages, not just spark plug gages, and then learn the decimal system, and then get a manual.  Okay?

I seriously think that you need to start over.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:28:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.