Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Re: Verslavy Tensioner Assy (Read 21398 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Verslavy Tensioner Assy (limited availability)
Reply #45 - 05/21/14 at 19:04:24

ZAR wrote on 05/21/14 at 18:47:26:
Added Question
I'm sure the subject of riding style and miles per ride vs. cam chain tensioner wear has been covered but I can't seem to find reference to that info. Has any conclusive evidence or educated guesses been made on this?

Well if you read thru 4 pages of info in the adjuster life link you get to this...
verslagen1 wrote on 05/31/10 at 22:26:21:
My current thinking is large amount of wear is caused by over tensioning during the thermal cycle.  The pawl will click over during the hottest (or coldest) part of the cycle, when it cools down (or heats up) wear will occur until it's at a medium tension.  So, regardless of the tensioner tension wear will occur nearly linear through the miles.

6 to 9mm is my guess how it comes from the factory.  When I did the 1st conversion, it was 9mm out.

So if you take a lot of short trips, your chain won't last as long.
so ride all day, tell your significant other you had to.

WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #46 - 05/21/14 at 19:23:17

verslagen1 wrote on 05/21/14 at 19:04:24:
ZAR wrote on 05/21/14 at 18:47:26:
Added Question
I'm sure the subject of riding style and miles per ride vs. cam chain tensioner wear has been covered but I can't seem to find reference to that info. Has any conclusive evidence or educated guesses been made on this?

Well if you read thru 4 pages of info in the adjuster life link you get to this...
verslagen1 wrote on 05/31/10 at 22:26:21:
My current thinking is large amount of wear is caused by over tensioning during the thermal cycle.  The pawl will click over during the hottest (or coldest) part of the cycle, when it cools down (or heats up) wear will occur until it's at a medium tension.  So, regardless of the tensioner tension wear will occur nearly linear through the miles.

6 to 9mm is my guess how it comes from the factory.  When I did the 1st conversion, it was 9mm out.

So if you take a lot of short trips, your chain won't last as long.
so ride all day, tell your significant other you had to.

Versy I just found that info and was reading it while you posted your answer Embarrassed. One thing I'm still pondering is some of the group seems to think an easy riding style prolongs the wear and failure of the tensioner. With my 19,000+ miles, very few of them have been easy. I'm more of a "ride it like ya stole it" ( Yeah I know....a 58 year old guy ought to act his age!) kind of guy so my bike seems to go counter to those ideas.
Just a little more info for your research Wink

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #47 - 05/21/14 at 19:32:35

ZAR wrote on 05/21/14 at 19:23:17:
One thing I'm still pondering is some of the group seems to think an easy riding style prolongs the wear and failure of the tensioner. With my 19,000+ miles, very few of them have been easy. I'm more of a "ride it like ya stole it" ( Yeah I know....a 58 year old guy ought to act his age!) kind of guy so my bike seems to go counter to those ideas.
Just a little more info for your research Wink

none of those easy riders has anything near stingers mileage on a chain.   Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
LS650THUMPER

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ma
Reply #48 - 05/22/14 at 19:01:21

my thumper has almost 20k miles,  should I be worried ? no noise like in the youtube video !!!!  Shocked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #49 - 05/23/14 at 15:14:14

LS650THUMPER wrote on 05/22/14 at 19:01:21:
my thumper has almost 20k miles,  should I be worried ? no noise like in the youtube video !!!!  Shocked

The telltale noises can be subtle, unless you check it you'll never know.
The 2 that I have started knocking on the case.
When they get far enough along, they pop out going up or down.
Going up they get stuck against the case and stay that way.
Going down results in loud grinding or a sudden halt.
99.999% go down.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #50 - 08/24/14 at 12:12:14

I have a quality alert announcement...

Some of the roll pins I've used since 10/28/13 maybe defective.

Some of them are tapered and if I put in the smaller end, may fall out.

Although I test every one, a few may have slipped thru.

Well, at least one did.

So if you've purchased a verslavy from 10/28/13 till now,  be on the alert for the tell tale knocking on the clutch cover.

Anyone finding or concerned they may have one, may return it for repair.

WWW   IP Logged
running-it-stock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 12/27/14 at 18:45:53

Here is a picture of mine after 13,216 miles. Didn't need to change the gasket.

Verslagen, I sent you my used one a couple months ago. Very well built. Happy Holidays

EDIT: Anyone know what that bolt in the bottom left corner is for? It was coming loose so I tightened it up.

« Last Edit: 12/29/14 at 10:59:23 by running-it-stock »  

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Re: Verslavy Tensioner Assy (vacation)
Reply #52 - 04/30/15 at 06:56:29

Hi there,

Newcomer here, but having been lurking for the past month or so (have "scanned" pages 1-323 so far Smiley ) since I got a really good deal on a '94 Savage that has run 55.000km (34.000 miles?) doing mostly long rides around Europe as I understood it, but has been standing still for the past 10'ish years.

While it has been standing still for so long, it has been dragged out every year to be run until well warmed up, then an oil change.

All in all it looks and feels really fine. The only thing I've had to do was replace the front fork seals that started leaking badly after a few hundred km's driving.

Now... the engine has a tick/tick or tingg/tingg sound that at first I interpreted as slight piston slap, but after reading here a lot, I want to check if it may be the cam chain tensioner, which to my understanding is pretty much the only weak point of this fine bike. (Also haven't checked the valve adjustment yet. Intend to do that very soon).

In case it is the cam chain tensioner that is nearing its outer limit, I guess I would want to make me a Verslavy, either by welding or by machining one myself if necessary. I would not want to try and weld this myself, so would have to find someone who can.

I would like to know how long the extension of the tensioner should be.

Greetings from Denmark and thanks for this great forum with so much knowledge(sharing) present.

EDIT:
Maybe I should mention that my intention of fixing one myself is the distance and time involved, due to the fact that I live in Europe and that Verslagen is on vacation till May as I understand it... Smiley

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Re: Verslavy Tensioner Assy
Reply #53 - 05/06/15 at 02:04:21

verslagen1 wrote on 04/30/15 at 07:22:28:
Need a little more time to get the 1st batch completed, but vacation is over.

Size your extension so you can put the second hole about 5/8" over from the 1st.

Sorry for the late reply, but life has been busy lately.
Thank you for the extension distance info!

In case I would like to purchase a Verslavy from you, do you have any experience with dealings from overseas, in this case Denmark?
I'm thinking of prices, shipping, delivery time and so on?

Would you be willing to send a Verslavy towards me, while I send my old one towards you, if I make a downpayment (or whatever it's properly called) to ensure you I'm not pulling any tricks?  Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 05/06/15 at 07:12:24

Mekh wrote on 05/06/15 at 02:04:21:
In case I would like to purchase a Verslavy from you, do you have any experience with dealings from overseas, in this case Denmark?
I'm thinking of prices, shipping, delivery time and so on?

Would you be willing to send a Verslavy towards me, while I send my old one towards you, if I make a downpayment (or whatever it's properly called) to ensure you I'm not pulling any tricks?  Smiley

I've probably sent more than a dozen up into the nordic countries.
Shipping to most countries is $50 and takes about a week.
Of course there's cheaper ways, slower, uninsured, you can use that to send me yours.
You'll make the full payment of $75 + $50 for shipping + $60 deposit for the adjuster that you promise to send.

WWW   IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #55 - 05/07/15 at 14:10:48

verslagen1 wrote on 05/06/15 at 07:12:24:
I've probably sent more than a dozen up into the nordic countries.
Shipping to most countries is $50 and takes about a week.
Of course there's cheaper ways, slower, uninsured, you can use that to send me yours.
You'll make the full payment of $75 + $50 for shipping + $60 deposit for the adjuster that you promise to send.

I had a chance to open the engine this evening and have a look at the tensioner and I have a slight suspicion that I might benefit from a Verslavy in the near future... https://www.dropbox.com/s/fghtsnxji8ijxmh/20150507-IMG_2225.jpg?dl=0
I can't insert images directly it seems  Sad

This is at 56k km (35k miles), with no knowledge of prior maintenance and/or repairs carried out on the engine and/or MC.

Anyway... I would like to purchase a Verslavy from you. What should my next step(s) be and what parts would I need to send to you in exchange for the Verslavy?

If interested, I have a few more photos:
1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gcv3se4vtm85or/20150507-IMG_2221.jpg?dl=0
2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv5bglbvq6tn8gz/20150507-IMG_2217.jpg?dl=0
3. https://www.dropbox.com/s/kp990ci6cqhqswg/20150507-IMG_2226.jpg?dl=0
4. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bljq2j85tv9m8a3/20150507-IMG_2230.jpg?dl=0
5. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgy0k23yqhicd0p/20150507-IMG_2232.jpg?dl=0

IP Logged
Wolfe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Martinsburg WV
Reply #56 - 05/18/15 at 16:21:30

Received mine today thank you sir very much. I appreciate the quick turn around. Another very pleased customer! Cheesy

Never Satisfied!!
  IP Logged
RadioPassive
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 06/04/15 at 13:41:49

Got mine in the mail today, thank you!

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #58 - 06/12/15 at 02:23:02

Hi,

I will soon receive my Verslavy and was preparing for it last night and found some residue that looked like liquid gasket at the top oil passage. I thought that I would not need to use liquid gasket, so I wanted to ask about it here.

I also had a look at some photos from "The Savage Companion Photo CD" linked to here: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1199986392

On the photos named "Clutch_Cover_05" and "Clutch_Cover_06" I can see some "Adhesive Sealer", which I haven't seen on the 3'rd party gasket that I have received. It may be on the backside, as I haven't unwrapped the gasket yet.

In case there is no such "adhesive sealer" on my gasket, should I use some liquid gasket at this location and/or would you use some for the entire gasket on one or both sides?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 06/12/15 at 03:48:29

I personally don't use any sealer or dressing on the gasket other than what comes on the oem gasket.

I will oil the surface of the case so I might save the gasket if I have to open it up at a later date.
I have not had a problem with leakage

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 16:19:55

General CategoryThe Marketplace › Re: Verslavy Tensioner Assy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.