NEWBIE about to buy.... (Read 9 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: NEWBIE about to buy....
Reply #15 - 05/27/07 at 10:20:34

BornOnFire wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Is there a support group or twelve step program for me in case my life becomes unmanageable?

Step 1: Wake up
Step 2: Get dressed
Step 3: Go outside/Garage whichever is applicable
Step 4: Put on helmet, if no helmet you can skip this step
Step 5: Put key in ignition
Step 6: Straddle bike
Step 7: Turn ignition to on
Step 8: Pull in clutch lever
Step 9: Raise kickstand
Step 10: Press starter button
Step 11: Smile as you rev engine and feel the horses straining to be released underneath you.
Step 12: Stop reading this 12 step program and ride you heart out.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/27/07 at 14:56:52

Careful not to skip step #2 right... Wink

Looks like the deal will happen. I have the deposit down and the seller is holding the bike for me.

I can't believe this thing only has 435 miles on it. Is that even considered "Broken In" yet?
Anyone have suggestions on first things to look at/do to the bike when I bring her home?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 05/27/07 at 15:07:58

BornOnFire wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Anyone have suggestions on first things to look at/do to the bike when I bring her home?

For as long as you plan to be in this asylum there will be things to do to it.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 05/27/07 at 21:27:10

Change the oil and brake fluid. Give the gas a sniff test, if fresh you are good to go. Any hint of varnish or paint thinner smell, drain the tank and carb bowl and put in fresh gas plus 2-3 ounces of Seafoam or STP gas treatment.

Air the tires up to within 5 psi of sidewall max pressure (better handling and fuel economy).

Lube the cables, all 3 of them. Gas, clutch and rear brake. 3 in 1 oil, Tri-flow, motor oil, doesn't matter. Just don't use chain lube or WD40.

Ride the wheels off of it. Have fun.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/27/07 at 21:58:37

'fraid I disagree with the last entry as far as tire pressures.

there should be a small decal on the belt guard with the recommended tire pressures (also in the handbook which if you are lucky is  not missing but still with the bike).

personally I set them to a couple of lbs but no more over recommendation - just a thing I've always done.

tire pressures vary from bike to bike & as your tires are made for a range of bikes any pressures shown on sidewall is unlikely to be the one for your bike.

I just went to check on the pressures on a note I have inside a cabinet in my garage - here they are -

Front       Rear

Solo               29 psi      33 psi

With Passenger     29 psi      36 psi

these are trhe recommended ones - like I said presonally I set them just a couple of lbs - no more - over that for fuel economy - any more I'd worry about incorrect tire wear.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 05/27/07 at 22:09:52

Are you still using stock tires?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 05/27/07 at 23:05:15

George is right!

Max. pressure on the tire is determined by the tire manufacturer.

Max. pressure on the bike is determined by the bike manufacturer.  They have the final say.

Do you think that a Mezeler 880 mounted on a Savage would be the same if mounted on a Vulcan?  Absolutely not.  The Vulcan is heavier and the pressure might be different.  

Why is this always such an question?  It's written down for us.  It doesn't matter the make of the tire.  All that matters is what's in your MOM or what's on the steering head.

The maximum pressure on the side of the tire is just to keep us from getting knocked on our ass because we followed bad advice.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 05/28/07 at 00:34:47

I've never had a problem running within 5 psi of max sidewall pressure. It gives a bit harsher ride, but for me, the improved handling is worth it.

I found the front end wallowed  and the rear squirmed a bit too much running factory pressure settings. So I went up on the pressure until I found an acceptable level of ride versus handling.

I've done the same with every bike I've owned. Each rider is different, if the factory setting works for you, great. If you need to run more pressure, run more pressure. Just don't exceed the sidewall max.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 05/28/07 at 05:41:01

There's both sides of the debate.  You have 2 choices....

- do it the way that you want.

- do it the way that's recommended.

Simple Tongue

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #24 - 05/28/07 at 08:12:06

As A tech, I like to explain to the client why we do things the way we do.  A picture is worth a thousand words:
Tires are designed to carry a specific weight with a specific air pressure.

Too little pressure and the tire flattens out and the sidewalls flex and your handling goes wonkers.  Off-roaders, when driving over soft sand, let air out of the tires to give a larger patch so as to not sink in.

Too much pressure and the tire does flatten and your contact patch with the road is smaller.  A smaller patch means less traction.  On the other hand, a smaller patch and stiffer sidewalls mean less tire flex, less heat buildup, and less rolling resistance.  For highway use you increase tire pressure for increased gas mileage.

The compromise, in the middle, gives you a larger contact patch for the most traction while maintaining a reasonably stiff sidewall for precise handling.  With the weight of a passenger pushing down on the rear tire, you need a few more pounds of pressure for the tire to maintain the optimum shape.

WWW   IP Logged
BornOnFire
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 05/28/07 at 13:11:13

I'm always amazed at how much theory and varied opinions go into tire pressures. While I never condone going against Manuf. Recomendations, I do admit that I try and stay on the higher side of PSI to conserve gas on long trips. Side wall wear is another bad habit I try to avoid. Overall, I appreciate and take most everyone's suggestions to heart and then come up with a formula that suits my driving and trip type. More importantly, though, I try and never loose site of the fact that the only thing between my a$$ and the asphalt is that little layer of rubber.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:23:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NEWBIE about to buy....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.