Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone bought these guards (Read 12 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Anyone bought these guards
05/24/07 at 14:54:06

Hi Has anyone bought or had these guards. Are they any good as protection or too flimsy

Engine Case Guards LS650 S40

I would appreciate any imput before I buy

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Anyone bought these guards
Reply #1 - 05/24/07 at 16:02:37

I have one of these... came with the bike... the one spill I took, well, I don't really think they helped as pretty much the footpeg, handlebars, and saddlebags (and my hip and elbow) took most of the fall.  they are kinda narrow, and held on by exhasut style clamps.  I don't recall if they hit at all, I guess not as above), but they certainly didn't bend liek the one on my V* 1100 (which weighs 600 lbs!).

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 05/24/07 at 17:56:03

I think they are more for looks and maybe as a place to mount some highway pegs. I don't think they would do much to protect anything.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #3 - 05/24/07 at 20:21:39

Think I  will  give those a miss, any suggestions on a good set. Thanks for your help

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #4 - 05/25/07 at 06:34:25

there is a brand "winger" was dicussed here a year or so, ago. try a search with an long history time.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 05/25/07 at 07:37:49

They are Wingerline and are available at http://www.accessoryinternational.com/.  I saw a recent post where someone had delays in an order of these bars from them but I had no such trouble.  I think it took a couple of weeks to get them but they are larger and much sturdier than the Suzuki set.  Seems like someone said there was a disclaimer with the Suzuki set stating they are for appearance only or something similar.  I've seen them and I have the Wingerlines.  The Wingerlines cost about twice as much but I believe they are worth it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 05/25/07 at 07:47:36

That's the standard Suzuki guard.  There are a few others available too.

The Savage40 guard is just for show...not that the guard is too wimpy, but really because it has nothing to protect.  The engine profile is too narrow.

I don't like the clamp mounting though, but what are ya gonna do?  Suzuki didn't incorporate any mounting points in the frame.

If you get the guard and have access to a welder, you can always do this so that the clamps don't scratch your painted frame.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 05/25/07 at 08:05:09

That mounting bracket is a good idea.  I like it.

One of the main reasons I like a highwaybar is not as an engine guard but as protection for my legs.  While it can stop some road detritus from bouncing up, my thoughts are more for the event of a laydown.  I've had the bar keep a bike off my leg in a slide in the past and deemed it worthy as an additional safety item.  Just my opinion.  Along those lines, the Suzuki guard is too narrow to be of any use.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #8 - 05/25/07 at 12:10:42

Thank you one and all for the input. Looks like the Wingerline ones it will be, in a week or so. Just bought Saddle bags and Supports, mustn't be too greedy. lol

IP Logged
Windrider
YaBB Newbies

I KNEW I shoulda
turned left at
Albuquerque!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Reply #9 - 05/26/07 at 17:57:10

Greg,

Can you post a wider angle shot of your bike showing the highway bars? Do you have pegs on them?

'98 Aztec Orange, Windshield, Seat Lift, Supertrapp, Sigma BC1106 for Trip Odometer/Gas Guage, Suzuki Saddlebags, Feildsheer Bags for Long Trips
SouthrnX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 05/26/07 at 20:56:51

Windrider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Greg,

Can you post a wider angle shot of your bike showing the highway bars? Do you have pegs on them?

I had pegs on that guard for a couple months...that's it.

I didn't like feeling like I was riding on a bar stool with my legs that high.  Really changed the feeling of "cruising" for me.

Get into enough trouble when I'm really on a bar stool Tongue

IP Logged
Windrider
YaBB Newbies

I KNEW I shoulda
turned left at
Albuquerque!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Reply #11 - 05/26/07 at 21:44:25

I found the pic I was looking for on your web page, btw.

'98 Aztec Orange, Windshield, Seat Lift, Supertrapp, Sigma BC1106 for Trip Odometer/Gas Guage, Suzuki Saddlebags, Feildsheer Bags for Long Trips
SouthrnX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 05/26/07 at 22:10:38

Windrider wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I found the pic I was looking for on your web page, btw.

The Mother of Invention is alive.  Very good.

I got so many pics on that site, that I've got duplicates...if that makes sense Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:34:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone bought these guards

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.