Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing Tank Emblems (Read 25 times)
Glockhead
Ex Member

Removing Tank Emblems
05/24/07 at 12:50:15

Has anyone removed the "Boulevard" emblems on their S40 fuel tank? If so, how and does it damage the finish?

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Re: Removing Tank Emblems
Reply #1 - 05/24/07 at 14:42:43

glockhead - check through the entries in rubber side down - about 3 weeks ago there was a posting about this.

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #2 - 05/24/07 at 14:44:55

Heat the badge up with a blow dryer then place a piece of dental floss under one end and work your way under the badge to the other side. There may be a little bit of glue/foam left on the tank but use a gum or residue removersuch as Ooops. There will be no damage and you won't even know they were there.

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #3 - 05/24/07 at 15:32:42

you can score the sticker with a razor blade (light hand, at an angle, not to the paint) and wipe WD40 over it.

let it set for a few minutes, then use the blow dryer on HOT and a wooden chisel tip tool (scrap or old tool modified) to scrap off the sticker.  
for small items, I use a bamboo chopstick after making a chisel point on it, but i also have a plastic pan scraper that works with a wider base.

to remove the rest of the sticky stuff, you can spray it with WD40 and use a paper towel or old rag to remove the crud.  it literally comes off in a minute or 2 with some elbow grease.

follow up with an alcohol wipe to remove any remaining WD from the paint, and you are good to go.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 05/25/07 at 06:23:34

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
you can score the sticker with a razor blade (light hand, at an angle, not to the paint) and wipe WD40 over it.

let it set for a few minutes, then use the blow dryer on HOT and a wooden chisel tip tool (scrap or old tool modified) to scrap off the sticker.  
for small items, I use a bamboo chopstick after making a chisel point on it, but i also have a plastic pan scraper that works with a wider base.

to remove the rest of the sticky stuff, you can spray it with WD40 and use a paper towel or old rag to remove the crud.  it literally comes off in a minute or 2 with some elbow grease.

follow up with an alcohol wipe to remove any remaining WD from the paint, and you are good to go.

You removed the emblem off your pretty blue tank?

Sheesh.  Sorry folks, I still don't get it.  I've been trying to collect images of all years, and I keep getting pictures of Savages and 40s without emblems...It's hard to tell one year from the next.

I know it's personal preference, but just remember the old Harley tease.  "You laugh because I'm different, but I laugh because you're all the same".

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #5 - 05/25/07 at 07:06:23

I did not remove my tank ID.
I have removed many other stickers from many other items tho so i knew how to advise on getting it off.  It's his choice!
Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 05/25/07 at 07:34:53

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I did not remove my tank ID....

...It's his choice!
Wink

Good.  Besides, that year emblem is on my CD label anyway.

I know it's his choice, and I was probably the first to post the topic on how to remove the stickers in the Tech section.  I can't stand the "Bikes for Dummies" sticker that is on the tank.  It's removing the bike's unique identity with the tank emblem that I just don't get...

...my 2000 has a tank decal that is unlike any other year, and some years have subtle differences in the coloring of the word Savage...2001 and 2002 for example.

It's my choice, if I don't understand, too Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 05/25/07 at 07:56:27

The tank emblem is different than most of the rest of the stickers on the bike.  At least on Savages, it's a decal underneath the clearcoat.  That said, after careful removal, you'll have an outline leftover at the edges from the clearcoat.  You can feather and add more clearcoat or repaint.  Be sure to use a paint or clearcoat that is petroleum resistant though.  I don't know about the Boulevard badge.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 05/26/07 at 10:14:10

I've removed the stickers on my '02 side panels, want to get a R Crumb type boot painted on them with "THUMPER" incorporated in the design. Taking them off was easy, a little WD40, a credit card as a scraper and about 10 minutes per side. Looked at an '07 at the dealers and the tank emblem is clear coated on just like the other years are. Only time I'd mess with it is if I'm going for a complete tank repaint. Even if it was a perfect removal job I would still see the clear coat line. Undecided

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
tskino
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/02/07 at 19:59:30

Another way is to use a clothes steamer to loosen the stickers and then an old gift card to scrape them away. Don't use a credit card because the heat from the steamer makes the card bend a little.  Haven't tried it on the decals yet, just the warning & Suzuki stickers.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #10 - 10/02/07 at 22:07:39

before you heat the tank, drain the fuel... it acts as a coolant;

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 10/03/07 at 09:56:00

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
before you heat the tank, drain the fuel... it acts as a coolant;

Yup, but let it air out for a day or so.  At least that's what I did.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
BOWDIER

OCALA, FL
Reply #12 - 10/03/07 at 13:16:44

I did it the easy way, when I got my 2006 there way a small dime size dent in the tank, they ordered me another tank and replaced it about 6 weeks later when it finally came in and it had no stickers.

BOWDIER 2006 RED S40
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:30:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing Tank Emblems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.