Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Camshaft lubrication and long oil paths (Read 53 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Camshaft lubrication and long oil paths
Reply #45 - 05/29/07 at 12:01:19

you guys are all nuts.  you are trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist.  again, how many camshaft seizures have we seen (on a bike with enough oil that was properly warmed up)?  less than 10.  how long has the bike been in production? 21 years.  hell, there was one person on here (link) who had found that his oil pump was essentially installed backwards by the previous owner.  he put it back in the right way and the bike ran fine. he replaced the cam, the rocker arms, cam chain, guides, & plunger, and it ran fine.  the cam never seized.

keep the oil level proper, keep the oil fresh, keep the oil filter clean, keep the idle at spec, and let it warm up before you run the nuts out of it and all will be well.  oh, and if you split the cases, make sure you don't clog the oil paths.

or is it fix it till it's broke?

god, now I sound like greg Tongue

and now I'll offer a possible simple solution: get an aftermarket oil pump that has a higher PSI rating at low rpms. of course, you have to split the case...

now, the whole cam chain deal... that's a real problem.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #46 - 05/29/07 at 12:09:49

Vroom, I didn't put a pre-oiler on my BRAND NEW RV because it was "broken" in any way.  I did it because I spent a fair amount of $ on it and want to keep it for a long, long time.  It is proven that up to 80% of engine wear occurs from startup in ANY internal combustion engine.  If you could be sure you'd double the life of an engine, would you do it?  The obvious answer is "no" if you know the engine will last as long as you want to keep the vehicle.  But if you wanted a nominal 50,000 mile Savage engine to last 100,000+ miles, I'd say this is a really good way to do it.  That's why I put one on my RV.  I do like to "fix" things to a certain extent, but my real passion is "improving" things.  One of the reasons I like this site... Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #47 - 05/29/07 at 12:12:09

And I agree with you, the camchain thing NEEDS to be fixed/improved.  I think the slavy/verslagen...verslavy...whatever mod is the best idea I've seen on that yet.  That's what I'll do to mine when I make it in there.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #48 - 05/29/07 at 12:22:21

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Vroom, I didn't put a pre-oiler on my BRAND NEW RV because it was "broken" in any way.  I did it because I spent a fair amount of $ on it and want to keep it for a long, long time.  It is proven that up to 80% of engine wear occurs from startup in ANY internal combustion engine.  If you could be sure you'd double the life of an engine, would you do it?  

how much $$$ are you going to put into a $4500 bike?  

(I'll be willing to spend $1k on going faster, and $3k on a  kickstart/magneto setup, but that's a whole 'nother issue), but on a problem that doesn't exist? $0

there have been 100k mile savages.

another simple solution is to get the the cam, oh god, what was it, teflon or ceramic coated.  the ceramic pisses heat away, basically, and the teflon is basically frictionless.  maybe lancer can comment on this.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #49 - 05/29/07 at 12:47:08

Quote:
how much $$$ are you going to put into a $4500 bike?

Exactly!  That's a great question.  Which is why I think $30-50 COULD be worth it if it weren't too big or inconvenient, but I don't like the idea of a $200+ electric oil pump.

That's also why I made my own system, I wasn't willing to spend what the systems out there cost but the theory behind the idea was sound.

IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 05/29/07 at 14:55:09

>> .... how much $$$ are you going to put into a $4500 bike?

For me it's not about the $4500. It's a hobby and a passion, I am an eternal tinkerer. While I might try out some of my wild ideas on my own machine I am not suggesting anyone else try it on theirs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:28:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Camshaft lubrication and long oil paths

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.