Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Durability of Savage
Reply #15 - 05/23/07 at 21:06:43

Quote:
don't ride it like it is a crotch rocket  Smiley 8)

Why not?    That is where I have the most fun.   Grin

IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/24/07 at 00:16:41

I'll wager the pitting Greg_650 had was caused by starting the engine and not letting it warm up properly. Condensation will build up on all the metal surfaces of any engine and cause rust if you shut it down without blowing out the crank case. You have to let it run on the road for a while before shutting down. How about it Greg ? Did you have any days where all you did was ride it in the driveway? Grin

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #17 - 05/24/07 at 06:32:27

dinamasu wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
The Savage.... engine had a SERIOUS DURABILITY issue....
 -- found on Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is basically anyone writing anything they wish about any subject.  They may be knowlegable, they may be biased, they may have an agenda they are pushing.  There is NO authoritive source behind any of the articles on Wikipedia and thus, while interesting, it is completely useless as a reliable source of information.

That the misinformation quoted above was allowed to remain is, to me, proof positive of the uselessness of Wikipedia.

WWW   IP Logged
Gnu
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/24/07 at 08:15:00

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Wikipedia is basically anyone writing anything they wish about any subject.  They may be knowlegable, they may be biased, they may have an agenda they are pushing.  There is NO authoritive source behind any of the articles on Wikipedia and thus, while interesting, it is completely useless as a reliable source of information.

That the misinformation quoted above was allowed to remain is, to me, proof positive of the uselessness of Wikipedia.

For a topic as obscure as a particular model of motorcycle, that might be true.  But, in general, there have been groups who have found Wikipedia to be approximately as accurate as Encylopedia Britannica.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 05/24/07 at 08:48:34

Maybe we need to get in our own blog about the savage.

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #20 - 05/24/07 at 11:16:45

I seem to recall that you can add links to wikpedia entries. if there was one on there to this forum, things would be better... Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #21 - 05/24/07 at 11:42:48

I get to hear about Wikipedia a lot, working in a library.  It's useful someties if you're trying to get a general idea about a broad topic.  Much the same as with encyclopedias.  Because of the nature of encyclopedias (and wikis), there is a higher chance of inaccuracy than with a dedicated source book.  After all, in the best scase scenario, the author of an entry is trying to cram a topic into as few words as possible to fill an allotted amount of space.  It's easy for information to get garbled under these conditions.  Kinda like this post...

In any case, that's why it's best to go straight to a dedicated source for information...like this forum!  The folks here have an astounding amount of information and know-how.

And I think this post of mine has turned into exactly the sort of thing I was talking about.  Undecided

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 05/24/07 at 16:32:34

Where is the Wiki?  

Learn how to get into it and go fix it -- uncorrected bad press will be read by lots of folks considering a Savage and NOT BUYING IT because of this eronious information.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
dixaflier
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 05/24/07 at 17:08:49

Didn't you find it interesting that the guy who wrote the wikipedia article started out saying the cam doesn't get oil... then wrote,

"The LS650 is a good motorcycle for beginners due to its easy handling, but its simplistic design and RELIABILITY also make it a good choice for more experienced riders."

Seems like he oughta make up his mind.  Is it unreliable because of the supposed cam problem or is it reliable and a good choice.  

Mine's reliable and I figure that's all that matters.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/24/07 at 17:19:09

T140V wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I'll wager the pitting Greg_650 had was caused by starting the engine and not letting it warm up properly. Condensation will build up on all the metal surfaces of any engine and cause rust if you shut it down without blowing out the crank case. You have to let it run on the road for a while before shutting down. How about it Greg ? Did you have any days where all you did was ride it in the driveway? Grin

With the oil bathtub the cam has I can't picture the cam ever not being fully coated with oil. Also, after I got to looking closer, my old cam has a few pits, too, but nothing like Greg's.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 05/24/07 at 17:36:07

I've seen porosity like greg's in other vehicles.  And I know there's been porosity reported in various spots.  I have some in my clutch cover.  Some aren't harmful, just recently someone's posted their's in the cam bathtub due to poor tolerancing in the machining of the casting causing a nasty leak.  Something like that could easily sour someone to the savage.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #26 - 05/25/07 at 04:48:19

More than likely the two statements were written by different people with different agendas/opinions. As several have pointed out this is a feature of the wiki.

dixaflier wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Didn't you find it interesting that the guy who wrote the wikipedia article started out saying the cam doesn't get oil... then wrote,

"The LS650 is a good motorcycle for beginners due to its easy handling, but its simplistic design and RELIABILITY also make it a good choice for more experienced riders."

Seems like he oughta make up his mind.  Is it unreliable because of the supposed cam problem or is it reliable and a good choice.  

Mine's reliable and I figure that's all that matters.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 05/26/07 at 12:40:52

I really don't see what you guys are talking about.  

I went to the Wikipeda and asked it what you guys were talking about.  It told me Savages were pretty cool little bikes and I should buy one.

So I did.  Been happy ever since, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_LS650_Savage

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:30:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Durability of Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!