Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Potential cure for oil leaks (Read 7 times)
borne2fly
Ex Member

Potential cure for oil leaks
05/23/07 at 09:35:12

I'm in the middle of tearing an engine apart for oil leaks. The leaks I'm chasing have more to do with holes, cracks, and other casting defects, but I couldn't help seeing all the posts on this site about leaks through those seams that use only a sealer and no gasket.

Lycoming and Continental aircraft engines have been split down the middle forever, they go together without a gasket, and they are forbidden to leak oil (oil leaks lead to fires, which are not good in a fabric covered airplane way up in th sky). Granted, they have a lot more bolts around the perimeter than most other engines, but the big trick they use is a single silk thread carefully laid down on the mating surfaces before they go together. This thread runs all the way around the mating surface and crosses over itself when it gets back to where it started. The crossover is not a knot, just one end of the thread laid over the other at about a 30 degree angle with each end extending maybe 1/4" past the crossover.

Has anyone tried this with a Savage engine, either around the crankcase or the camshaft cover? I imagine a combination of this and the black sealer should make the thing properly oil tight.

Well .... almost. The rubber plug remains an issue. One day I'm going to thread that hole, fabricate a short bolt, and use a fiber washer between the bolt head and cylinder head.

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Re: Potential cure for oil leaks
Reply #1 - 05/23/07 at 09:50:46

Quit putting oil in it, eventually it will stop leaking.

Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/23/07 at 11:03:02

I cant see how that could hurt a thing. Where are these strings available? I have just done the cam chain & used the liquid gasket sealer. So far, no leaks.

IP Logged
borne2fly
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/23/07 at 11:10:54

I'm not sure exactly where to get the silk strings anymore, but I'd start by calling any place that services light planes and talk to one of their A&P mechanics.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 05/24/07 at 13:48:00

Coming from aviation maintenance myself I was surprised to see camshaft bearings in plain alluminium, where i was expecting a bronze bushing.
The sealing of crankcase halves or the like with liquid gasket is normal and will, if properly prepaired and applied will get the job done: Sealing.
On the RR engines we used to apply the blue stuff called Hylomar, worked very good.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 05/25/07 at 06:14:12

borne2fly wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I'm not sure exactly where to get the silk strings anymore, but I'd start by calling any place that services light planes and talk to one of their A&P mechanics.

With the headcover, you have to remember the camshaft journals and the plain bearing surfaces.  Changing the height of the headcover will change the clearance and affect oil pressure on the top end.  It doesn't take much.  Even .001" more gap will add to the bearing clearance.

(I forget the plasti-gage measure on the cam shaft, but it is around .003" or about the thickness of printer paper)

As for the silk thread...my wife makes jewelry and uses it all the time.  You can get it a beading supply store or at some place like Michaels.  Hope that helps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:15:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Potential cure for oil leaks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.