Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Remove rear camchain tensioner? (Read 10 times)
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Remove rear camchain tensioner?
05/22/07 at 04:57:10

I wonder what you have to remove to get the rear camchain tensioner (guid), is it possible from the clutch side or do you have to remove the head?
I thought the ide to make a bit more bend of the tensioner looked to be the way to go to solv the camchain problem.
Have not opened the side yet, wait for next oilchange, have nearly 28000 km on my -99, so far no nois, but want to have a look after reading this threads!!!
Slavy or Verslagen mode is also good, but I think it could be difficult to get the same hardning on the piece after rebuild the top (extra hole) maby its overkill but I want to be shore.
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Remove rear camchain tensioner?
Reply #1 - 05/22/07 at 06:08:06

i just pulled the tensioner last week, i had to remove, the clutch basket, the primary drive gear, the cam, the cam gear, the chain, then i could get the tensioner to slide down the chain hole.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/22/07 at 06:50:25

Mine had 14,500 miles on it, which is about 3,000 fewer than yours, when I did the cam chain. The measurement on the chain indicated I had maybe another 5 or 6 thousand miles, but the tensioner was beyond 18mm out, so I just did the cam chain. I also bent the guide, but, since that guide had been hot a few times, I saw the edges crack a bit. Also, I didn't just put one little bend in the middle. I made the bend hardest up near the pivot & then a longer radius down the length. I was afraid I would have the tensioner in a bind from it, so I stopped & put it all together, only to discover the tensioner, with a new chain & the bent up rear guide, was STILL extended ( OHH help this grey sack O mush remember!) 8mm? Whatever it was, I was disappointed, but, since the edges of the guide were complaining, I couldnt afford to go back & bend more.

My suggestion? If I was doing it again, I would go with a new rear guide, bend that dude mercilessly, or untill I saw edges being overstressed, heat may alleviate that problem a bit, I dunno.
I have no idea how much the guide itself was worn, The surface area being so large, the pressure so well distributed, But, it's plastic with hot metal running on it. Might last years & yearsm I dunno, but I will be replacing my rear guide & front guid on the next cam chain. I intend to do the cryogenic treatment of the chain , also.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/22/07 at 07:23:57

Not saying it can't be done.  But I tried to remove the tensioner guide (TG) with chain installed.  And I think it would be very difficult.  

Mine has a serious mismatch between head and cylinder which made it difficult to get out.  Getting it back in was equally hard and that was with the chain removed.  

Also the top of the TG sits in a pocket.  The top sprocket may prevent it from coming out of that.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/22/07 at 07:31:32

I pulled down & toyed with the idea of yanking it out, but I didnt want to have to pull the cam sprocket to get it back in, so I stopped. It was kinda cranky just putting it in with no chain or sprocket there. I'm with Ver, wont say it cant be done, but I dont want to find out.

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/22/07 at 07:50:51

I dont think you can remove it without taking the head cover off and unbolting the cam sprocket from the cam. I know I removed the rear tensioner from the bottom (after removing the clutch basket and cam driving gear), but the chain gets in the way and binds the tensioner, not alot of room in there.

May as well pull the head cover while you are at it anyways, then you can replace the head plug cap, and pull the timing chain to measure that also.

I did the whole job in 4 hours total, taking my time and double checking everything with the manual.

Took an hour to weld and dress the adjuster tensioner mod, but that was well worth it IMHO.

IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #6 - 05/22/07 at 09:47:22

Thanks for all the quick answers, I will see what I have to do when I open it up, have to wait for next oilchange.
Might go for the extended tip with the extra hole, all depends on howe its looks. I guess if I have to open up the top as well I going to count days not houers  Embarrassed

Do you have to think of something special when you remove the chain adjuster from the rear tensioner, is it possible for the cam to change possision when losing the bolt that hold it  ???

Odar in Sweden

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/22/07 at 10:06:23

You can change the adjuster without removing the chain, just pop the clutch cover off, and there it is staring at you, and you will know immediately if anything has to be done.

If the chain has jumped a cog, the only way to find out is to remove the head cover and check the cam timing marks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/22/07 at 11:06:34

Odar, if the adjuster is intact, then not possible for the chain to jump.  Which is the reason to fix it when adjuster is out 18mm.  I tried to force the chain the jump without the tensioner guide in place, and it's difficult.  But it could happen at engine operational speeds.  But it will take out the guides and cause a great big mess.

It would be possible to measure the chain that's available and prorate the stretch, just not as accurate.

When you take the adjuster off, pull the chain away from the guide and look for wear.  If there's alot or the channel is damaged, I recommend you replace it.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #9 - 05/22/07 at 11:22:26

OK, Thanks guys, I will remember all your adwise.
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 05:09:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Remove rear camchain tensioner?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.