Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
what type of fuel do you use? (Read 10 times)
erodelius
YaBB Newbies

Take it to the
limit.

Irvine, CA
what type of fuel do you use?
05/21/07 at 14:38:27

does anyone regularly use super or special gasoline? what are the effects?

2007 Boulevard S40: Jardine slip on muffler and a K&N drop in filter (no snorkel)
Evskie   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: what type of fuel do you use?
Reply #1 - 05/21/07 at 14:39:54

use the cheap stuff.  since these are low compression engines, they don't need or want the high octane stuff.  all that happens is you build up crud on the piston and waste money.

assuming your bike is stock compression.

avoid ethanol fuel if possible.  never run E85.

IP Logged
erodelius
YaBB Newbies

Take it to the
limit.

Irvine, CA
Reply #2 - 05/21/07 at 14:41:01

okay. i just bough an 07 s40 last week and im picking it up tomorrow. just wondering.

thanks!

2007 Boulevard S40: Jardine slip on muffler and a K&N drop in filter (no snorkel)
Evskie   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 05/21/07 at 14:55:52

that's why we're here!

we want pics when you get it!  if you can find the time from smiling and riding!

IP Logged
erodelius
YaBB Newbies

Take it to the
limit.

Irvine, CA
Reply #4 - 05/21/07 at 14:57:51

oh ill post plenty of pictures. im a brand new rider so im a little nervous but im sure ill do okay. ive been practicing on my friends honda 600 so if i can handle that bike im sure i can handle the savage, haha. savage is so much cooler than boulevard s40. oh well. i plan on taking the MSF course near my house in the next month or two.

Evskie   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/21/07 at 15:40:46

advise taking the course as soon as you can - don't wait for the "or two" - book into it @ next available opportunity. wish there had have been similar when I started riding many moons ago - would have saved some near misses & some not so near ones (luyckily young bones don't seem to break but bounce)!

in meantime, welcome to site - great bunch of people on here always free with advice & help.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 05/21/07 at 20:40:53

Not this one again...

What type fuel does Suzuki recommend?

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #7 - 05/21/07 at 23:10:46

I have had my 06 S40 since last July, and when I picked it up the dealer had topped the tank of with Supreme. I have been using Supreme since I have had it except for a few times I was on the road and I couldn't get it.  These few times I used the mid grade, my milage dropped from around 59 to around 55.  It may have just been the brand of gas, I don't know.  But one thing I do know is the higher octane seems to make it run a little better.  Now, I also have low milage on it, 5300 miles since July, and over half of them are highway speed.  I guess I will just wait to see if it keeps running the way it does.  The difference in cost between Supreme and regular isn't a problem, since it is only about 2 or 3 dollars a month.  Oh.... I have been told by HD riders that they have never seen a single run the highways with them like "The Little Bike that Could" with only half an engine.   Shocked Grin Grin 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #8 - 05/22/07 at 00:36:44

We have only unleaded 95 or 99 octane gasoline.

The second one is not specific but recommended for engines not made to run with unleaded gasoline, as ours i suppose.

But this gasoline is very expensive, more than 1,411 €\liter.

Lips Sealed

Usually i use the 95 one.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 05/22/07 at 03:50:21

This has been discussed so much, it hurts...

The MOM says Regular Unleaded.  87 octane.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #10 - 05/22/07 at 04:06:42

I put cheapest available in KLX.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 05/22/07 at 04:15:35

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I put cheapest available in KLX.

Clive W  Cheesy

That's another good reason to listen to MOM.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #12 - 05/22/07 at 04:21:27

I use the absolute cheapest gas I can find.  I do add Amsoil Performance Improver, a gasoline detergent additive.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/22/07 at 15:32:25

If I could remember how ReelThing explains his choice I would try to quote it, But all I can remember is the general point. He uses Supreme when it's hot. He lives on the coast & I guess sits in traffic & for reasons I have seen & thought sounded reasonable, he uses the pricey stuff during summer months. Exactly why that's better, I just cant remember. I am sorry. I always hated the "Essay" questions on the tests. Gimme multiple choice. PLease!

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #14 - 05/22/07 at 22:00:49

I was gonna leave this one alone, but if we're all playing...    Hot months means higher cylinder temps, more prone to detonation, at 8.5:1 i don't think you'd ever have a total detonation but partials could happen and higher octane would likely prevent it.  I don't think the small amount of pinging you might get would destroy your engine but peace of mind and possible longevity benefits could make it worth it.  At 3 and some a gallon though, i dunno....    Octane is just a rating of resistance to, well, burning. sort of..  ok, now i feel smart so i'll finish there.   even if i did just restate everything else said here.   hmmm wonder if we could make a system to vary compression according to octane.. switch to efi, use a saab octane sensor coupled to a custom ecu that will activate the system we'll fabricate to raise and lower the jug.  let's see 2-3mm should be enough play to put us to 10:1 which should match 93 octane just gotta find a flexible enough gasket.   man i'm tired, guess i lied 'bout finishin' up there too. =)  or a turbo system with variable boost!  still need the sensor and efi though...

having said all that i'll answer the topic question.  premium.  because it seems to backfire less and get better mileage.  I'm sure thats all in my head but an old saab i had that recommended 87 consistently got about 5mpg better with premium.  think the boost was turned up a bit.. might explain it.. also got it's best mileage around 70-80mph too though.. hmm never really thought about it before. wow, it's been 10 years or so and i'm still wasting money on premium.  darn.. course the truck needs it... still.

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:36:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › what type of fuel do you use?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.